• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    ISP is NOT happy having to give the information over but under STATE LAW they have no choice. They don't 'annouce' on their website that you (read anyone) can get th DB but if anyone ask about it they have to provide the info on how to obtain it (ie. pay $32 to get it).

That is because they have a brain and they use it.. not to mention they understand the seriousness of the situation. Just because it is law.. doesn't mean it is "right". Hopefully since this is getting a lot of attention.. someone who can do something will step up and change it.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I agree Lars.

I contacted my state representatives via email when I first heard about this.. if we all do the same.. something will get done.

I can just sit back, close my eyes, and picture 300K pissed off gun owners screaming CHANGE THE LAW! ..... :D

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My letter to my State representative and Senator:

Dear Ms. Pryor:

I have just read where the Herald Times online, in Bloomington, is providing a database of how many people have licenses to carry handguns on any given street. While they did not release individual names and addresses, it brought to my attention that, by law, the Indiana State Police are required to release the database to anyone who asks and who pays the modest fee to have the database written to CD. That must change.

This is unconscionable. Not only is this a blatant violation of individual privacy, but it allows criminals access to information that would make their jobs easier in the cases of wanting to avoid houses where occupants are likely to be armed or, conversely, wants to find a house where firearms are likely to be present to steal. Let me repeat. This policy helps criminals.

I urge you to introduce or support legislation, and to encourage your colleagues to support legislation, to forbid the distribution of handgun license information except to law enforcement engaged in an active investigation or when specific information is ordered released by a court.

Ms. Pryor is almost certainly a lost cause since her response to previoius letters has put her firmly in the "anti" camp. Mr. Delph appears to be on our side.

A slightly edited version will be going to Mr. Daniels and Ms. Skillman.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Another way to look at this...

If I lived on a street that didn't have any Carry Permits, I would be pissed at the BH. Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry thug knows there's a good chance of no one being armed on that street!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Only two of us have stepped up and written our reps?

wow.... Just wow.

I'm going to presume that others have and just haven't reported back here. There's no obligation to report to the peanut gallery after all.

I tend to include the text of my letters because I have been told I have some small skill with the English language and figure the text may help others find their words.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

wow.... Just wow.

I'm going to presume that others have and just haven't reported back here. There's no obligation to report to the peanut gallery after all.

I tend to include the text of my letters because I have been told I have some small skill with the English language and figure the text may help others find their words.

I have written my reps and 13 surrounding reps including our Speaker, Attorney General, and the Governor. Basically the same people I always write/email. I would have posted my letter if I thought it would do any good. However, David is much better with verbiage and I tend to be a little more.... up beat. :):

Next time I will be sure to post my letter for everyone's amusement.

jespol227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Way to invade personal privacy regarding demographic information (address and phone), but also way to go on jeopardizing safety.....I really feel great about EVERYONE having free access to knowing that I have firearms in my home.....especially the criminals. Wonderful idea.....

Seriously, I can't even believe that this is an issue- I can't believe that this can even be allowed. There should be some law to protect personal privacy concerning owning LEGAL weapons. The only people who won't be on this stupid registry are the criminals. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Perhaps a database that has lists of people with WEAPONS violations, are who have been convicted or crimes involving firearms? Criminalize the criminals...not the rest of us who are law abiding responsible gun owning citizens. Shame on you Herald Times Online...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Understan jespol227 that when INDIANA "created" the license database they (the legislature) did **NOT** think of the issue of the data being public/private/for LEO/etc.. That is understandable as they were more focused on getting the "gun laws" portion done. It was been after the fact in which individuals/orgs have asked to se if they can get it and have been sucessful after IN WORKERS have read thru the laws and discovered that there is nothing STOPING it that the issue has come up.

What is now occuring via many different people (both INGO members and off this board) is that the current legislators are being may aware of a "hole" in the law and to get it fixed.

I'm glad you are expressing your anger/worry/fustration over this like many of us. What would make me even more happy is for you to help. Take a few mins and send a letter/email/call your reps and tell them how you feel about this issue. If you do that any nothing else then you have done your part as well.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As long as the database is open to LEO for a criminal investigation or when they run someone's LTCH, that's fine. But the public should not have access to it.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital

wow.... Just wow.

I wrote mine 3 weeks ago? :D

post_old.gif
    3 Weeks Ago #86 (permalink)
    Gee whiz, I sure hope my new hat works!​
    supporter.gif

reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_green.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif
    reputation_greenh.gif

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill of Rights
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I am rather shocked that for less than the price of a dinner and movie for two, someone can get all of this very private information.

My email went out this morning to begin correcting this travesty.

Blessings,
    Bill

I could not agree more!
    The conversation I had on the phone with Lt Berkey was very cordial and I got the feeling he DID NOT like it any better than most of us do, however, there was nothing he could do other than provide the information.

My State Legislator will be getting an email and a phone call shortly.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
    Patrick Henry 1736 - 1799

animated-flag.gif

kittenscalco1.jpg

user_offline.gif

progress.gif

Top Bottom