• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    I am appalled by this so called news papers leftist attempt to make law abiding citizens look like common street thugs.
    However I also think that this very wel may back fire on them.
    There are two ways I think this may occure.
    1. People look up there zip and realise that some of there neighbor carry guns. They also realise tht they live in a nice neighborhood,many of the poeple are ther friends and are very nice. This may be enough that they may decide to look into owning a firearm.
    2. You go out and your neighbor see's your gun. After reading the article and looking up the data. He/She makes the connection. But your a great neighbor, your polite and hard working no troubles. Your kids play with there kids. So he/she strikes up a conversation. Now there intrested in gun ownership or at least there a bit more eduacated.

Remember Liberals think people are stupid and should just swallow what ever they spew out.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    So you're okay with carry permit holders being treated like second class citizens to be avoided? You're okay with the HTO setting this list up under the guise of "is your neighborhood safe" as though carry permit holders were some menace to society?
    You are reading extra into what I'm saying. I never said anything you've implied.

Frankly, I'm not ok with carry permit holders being treated as second class citizens. I just want to make sure we're clear.

However, as it currently stands (and this is NOT my choice, NOR do I like it), what they are doing is not illegal. In so far as I have no direct control over what the HTO does with information they have obtained legally, I am personally relieved that they are not going to post my (your, our, whatever pronoun you want) name, address, phone number, social security number and/or any other personally identifiable information for all to see.

:popcorn:

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Fair enough. I never said that it was illegal. In fact, I went to great pains to point that it's perfectly legal, and a "best" solution would be to change the law.

As far as "only" publishing certain data, well that's great, but what happens when someone else decides they want to legally publish your name and address? The way I see it, why wait for the worst case scenario when you've got a chance to stop it before it gets there?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Nefarious looking character.

PR_shooting_1129.jpg

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Nate You are an excellent ambassador for our cause. you are the kind of sensible young person who make up for all the troubling young libs we find flocking to our fare city. I think your efforts and those of techres were very helpfull in averting the smear many of us feared might have happend in the article.

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    Fair enough. I never said that it was illegal. In fact, I went to great pains to point that it's perfectly legal, and a "best" solution would be to change the law.
    I completely agree.

As far as "only" publishing certain data, well that's great, but what happens when someone else decides they want to legally publish your name and address? The way I see it, why wait for the worst case scenario when you've got a chance to stop it before it gets there?
    Again, we're on the same page. :)

It's time that we all (everyone) sit down and write a letter to our state representatives on this issue.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I completely agree.

Again, we're on the same page. :)

It's time that we all (everyone) sit down and write a letter to our state representatives on this issue.

Why you and me and say 10% of INGO members may write a letter to their reps that IS NOT going to help. We are not big enough and frm what I have experienced on INGO there is too much typing and very little action when it does come time for action.

As I have already stated we need to contact the people on the DB itself. Some may no care but I bet you othes will be pissed that "common you" was able to get their info (ALL THEIR INFO) fo $32 and that BTW some paper in Indiana also posted it online. You **** enough of those LTCH and they begin to call their reps madas hell about this and they something happens. Why then?

Most "active" political INGO members are already know by their reps in the statehouse. They "deal" with us constatnly telling them this or that. We are like those little dogs that your neighboor has that is always barking at everyone. Sooner or later the rep knows to "hear" but "not listen" to us.

What happends when Ms. Jones and Mr. James begin to call their rep on this issue. Both pissed and both nevercalling before? That rep is going to begin to take notice.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks like INGO and this subject made it out into the web. David Codrea at War On Guns has a link to Nate's post and some suggestions.
    This week, HeraldTimesOnline.com will launch its new gun permit database. You’ll be able to search gun permit records by county, city or town and street on HTO. [More]
    Unfortunately--or perhaps fortunately--you need to subscribe to this rag to read it, so I had to link you to a forum instead of the actual newspaper website.

Some are suggesting polite and courteous emails to the editor and publisher as being the appropriate way to deal with this.

I disagree.

I think the only way to deal with this with any chance of getting results would be to target their major advertisers--set up protests with signs in front of the big car dealership, etc. Let them know what you are doing and why, and that you'll stop when they stop advertising. Then move on to the next target.

Of course, that would require having committed activists in the area willing to expend more energy than sending a polite and courteous email, so my suggestion is almost certainly impractical. Eh. My guess is only a handful will even send an email.

Until gun owners get it in their heads that there is a war on guns in this country, and it actually requires them to do something, apathy and laziness will continue being our greatest impediment. By not making this a priority while things are easy, they're increasing the odds that things will get hard.

In the mean time, there will always be those whose names don't show up on any permission lists.
    Visit David's site.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    This is awful but I have to agree with jediagh. Too many people are willing to make a fuss on an open forum, but won't lift a finger to send an email to a Rep. What's worse, the reps won't care and won't do anything about it. So what can you do?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is awful but I have to agree with jediagh. Too many people are willing to make a fuss on an open forum, but won't lift a finger to send an email to a Rep. What's worse, the reps won't care and won't do anything about it. So what can you do?
    You go after their advertisers and hit them in the wallet. That's what you can do.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You go after their advertisers and hit them in the wallet. That's what you can do.

5-10 people standing in front of an advertiser's place of business isn't going to do anything. It didn't do anything for the Tea Party Patriots when they protested the media outlets and other businesses when they tried this. Do you really think a car dealership is going to care about 5-10-15-20 people standing outside their place of business when they keep getting business because people don't care?

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For the record I did contact the HT to ask what this data base was. He, a fellow named JJ, I forget the last name, explained it as has been presented here. I made my comments that if you were going to publish this information with names or street addresses, that it would be hightly irresponsible and a very big security risk. He assured me that the database was in more of a demographic nature and that they had a database of just Monroe county for a few years available. The only thing different is that this database would include all 92 counties of Indiana. He told me that Permit, rather LTCH information is readily available on request from the Sheriff's office. He seemed to understand the delicate nature of this information, and that this database was not to reveal specific people and addresses. Perhaps there does need to be a law against releasing this information, or at least require a printing of the name and address of all requesting this information, both online and in the newspaper. That might offer some accountability.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You have to get the non-political LTCH involved. They must do the calling ad be pissed about it. imagine in 50% of the 300,000 called the statehouse?

I can imagine that all I want. The reality is that maybe 100 (I'm being generous here) of the 6500+ members of this very forum even make an effort to do such a thing. There maybe 300 that actually post in the political forum. Lets guess that MAYBE 1000 actually read these threads.

So what's that say? How do you get the other 5500 to become active? Especially when, obviously, they don't care? I mean, if they did care, wouldn't they be actively working to stop this kind of madness already?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    SE I'm NOT talking about INGO Members. Some have already shown that they don't want to be politically active in anything even sending a simple template form email. What I am talking about is the 300,000+ people in the DB! The idea is to buy the DB (ourseleves) ar out the list and call the 300,000+ people on the list and let them know how you got the info, how a paper in IN is showing the info online, how anyone can post **ALL** the info online and if they feel that their privacy is being violated that they should call their local rep (& give them the number).

I'm willing to buy the DB but there is no way I alne can all 300,000 people! Even if I spent 3 min w/ each perosn it would take me 625 days to call everyone! We need more volunteer callers and we need a basic scipt to read.

So far nobody else has said "let do it"... -[

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If it's going to be similar to the Indy Star's searchable database (where no personally identifiable details are given) then I have no problems with what they are going to do. It's when I start to receive threats via mail, phone calls, etc then I'm going to take issue.

But still, as I'm sure others have said before me, we should encourage our lawmakers to protect our personal information. I would not be happy if anybody could get a photo copy of my signed application... :ar15:

From Lt. Berkey, at ISP Firearms Licensing Section, they get only the information in the database, NOT copies of the license application.

In other states in the past, editors and publishers have had their personal information made very public, such as their home addresses with photos, telephone numbers, types of cars, vehicle license numbers, and a variety of other data that can be obtained through completely lawful channels.

I'm not sure how effective this is, but I know that I would not want to be that much on display to the world.

Of course, then again, I wouldn't put myself in the position of ticking off 370,000 people, many of whom are politicians, lawyers, and other professionals, while many others are very technologically savvy and have no problem utilizing their exceptional skills to protect their rights.

One interesting point: these editors and publishers who think gun owners are so dangerous and worthy of fear must be the bravest people in the world: They go out of their way to do things to anger these supposedly violent people. Now why do you suppose they would do that? Could it be that they know we will do them no direct, physical harm unless they present a clear and present danger to our lives or those of our families?

Blessings,
    Bill

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE I'm NOT talking about INGO Members. Some have already shown that they don't want to be politically active in anything even sending a simple template form email. What I am talking about is the 300,000+ people in the DB! The idea is to buy the DB (ourseleves) ar out the list and call the 300,000+ people on the list and let them know how you got the info, how a paper in IN is showing the info online, how anyone can post **ALL** the info online and if they feel that their privacy is being violated that they should call their local rep (& give them the number).

I'm willing to buy the DB but there is no way I alne can all 300,000 people! Even if I spent 3 min w/ each perosn it would take me 625 days to call everyone! We need more volunteer callers and we need a basic scipt to read.

So far nobody else has said "let do it"... -[

Well then lets do it. I hope the reps listen though. But I'm down. I'll make calls.

I was just using INGO as an example of how inactive people are. As for telling these 300K about what we can do with their info, I'm not convinced that many people will actually care. Maybe if you tell them they will become targets of burglars, but who knows. Maybe it will work and we get a base of 300K strong to help get the law changed. That would be worth the try.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @BOR
    Do you know what exactly the DB contains?

@All
    So what is the form that we would need to fil out to get the DB?
    It is online somewhere? Or is there a phone number to start the process?

Top Bottom