Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Just for a start:

• Magazines
      • Matrix Magazine - Bloomington
        Monthly magazine dedicated to providing consistent public forums for literary and visual artists around Bloomington, IN.
        www.matrixmag.com
    • Newspapers > College and University
    Maybe the Martinsville Repoter, anything else from surrounding towns.

I'm not from B-town, but users from Monroe county can target them and should know the local and little papers around the county.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you're joking, right? The IDS is a student newspaper, it IS a better paper than the HT, often scooping them on local issues, but is little read off campus or by non-students (read: voters). Matrix is even more esoteric and virtually unknown. The Bloomington Independent is around but it's so far left that it criticizes the HT are being too conservative, a real bunch of wackos run it. There is no real competition. My fervent wish has been that the local car dealers go belly up or do poorly enough that they stop buying ad space. Maybe that and rising costs will eventually kill it. I battled that paper for 15 years, it's crumbling but just won't fall over. It's the single most pernicious influence in Monroe Co., other than the IU faculty (not the students, who are great). I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but it's not as easy to upend as you think.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I think you are worried over nothing. I sure wouldn't be sweating it if I were one of you guys beating the drum for open carry.

How can you argue that standing in the line at the bank window with a 44 on your hip encourages bank robbers to move on rather than carry out their plan and yet this makes you a target for attack or robbery.

At least one or the other is a ridiculous assumption if not both arguements.

It's a matter of choice. When I OC, it's because I choose to open carry then and there.

And since I also support the right of other people who prefer to keep concealed to do so, I stand in support of their right not to have their name plastered on the 6:00 news with a sign saying "carries a gun" if that is their choice.

Choice. It's not just for leftists any more.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    So, I went to the online db at Gun Carry Permit ZIP Code Profiles and started checking my area. The highest % of LTCH residents I've found near me (Hamilton Co.) so far is Atlanta at 12.9%. (46031)

Saw that McCordsville had 18% based on this db! (46055)

Anyone else have an area near them in double digits?

If they are going to put this online, we need to parlay that into something really useful...like tying it into MIBOR | Metropolitan Indianapolis Board of REALTORS® or F.C. Tucker Realtors -- then you could get a sense for the mind of the location you are considering moving to!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    They aren't the same thing, whatsoever, though. This is obviously a database of GUN OWNERS who applied for a LTCH. Are you home 24/7 Jack Ryan? Because if a robber had your address and knew you owned guns, I doubt they would break in when they knew you were home. They would probably wait until everyone left for work, go in, take the guns, cash, whatever else and leave. I'm sure your guns are safe though. If you're too ashamed to show them in public while you carry, I'm sure you have them hiding under your floorboards. (Completely joking, I'm just spouting the usual CC Vs OC argument here :))But seriously, this is why we should have never allowed Indiana to create a license to carry. Vermont will never have a database like this, because everyone is allowed to carry, without a license. It's a right to keep and bear arms anyway. Licenses are for privileges, like driving.

At least we ALMOST agree on something. I never AGREED to allow them to do anything. It's not a RIGHT if you need someone's permission or have to pay for it.

The rest of your post as it concerns me is pure poppycock. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    Has anybody called The garrison shoe on WIBC? He has professed to be a dyed in the wool gun guy. Claims the owner of 500 guns is special friend and greg sets up tables at the 1500 to sell his corney t-shirts. He has a platform,talks directly to rep's, and even plays the sound trackto magnificent seven as bumper music.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I am not giving up on this db. I found Orestes, IN (46063) just west of Alexandria, with a whopping 33% LTCH!

Load up the moving van, mama!

UPDATE: I think we have a winner. New Middletown, IN (47160) is at 50% LTCH! WOW!

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I am not giving up on this db. I found Orestes, IN (46063) just west of Alexandria, with a whopping 33% LTCH!

Load up the moving van, mama!

UPDATE: I think we have a winner. New Middletown, IN (47160) is at 50% LTCH! WOW!

The home of Red Gold tomatoes.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Man, I didn't realize tomatoes were such a hot commodity. I hope they let their semi drivers carry too....

Ahab

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Well, the HTO's database is up, and it's exactly as their editorial staff said it would be - you type in a county, town, or street name and it will tell you how many permit holders live on your street and what type of permit they have. There are not any names or specific addresses listed, which is nice, however it doesn't take a champ of deductive reasoning to see that this type of list is still dangerous to gun owners. It 1) treats gun owners like sex offenders, as the HTO is implying that you can see how "safe" your neighborhood is, 2) there are plenty of streets in Indiana that don't have a lot of houses on them, making the list a handy tool for someone looking to plan a daylight robbery.

Even though it's going to be a waste of time, I'll be in the "live chat" with the original author of the article in the hopes of getting a message across, and if anyone has an HTO account I'd encourage you to show up as well.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I ordered a copy of the list through my business. We'll see what it says when it arrives, probably just another database file.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Just received this in an email thought you guys might find it on topic. I guess the NRA taking notice is good.

NRA-ILA Email said:
    Bloomington, Indiana Herald-Times Treats Law-Abiding Gun Owners like Registered Sex Offenders!
    Please Contact the Bloomington Herald-Times!

On November 30, 2009, the Bloomington Herald-Times made the following announcement:
    “This week, HeraldTimesOnline.com will launch its new gun permit database. You’ll be able to search gun permit records by county, city or town and street.”
    The Herald-Times has begun receiving calls and emails, and their response is a defiant defense of their online gun permit database.

Anyone who visits the newspaper website will be able to search the number of permits on a given street or neighborhood. Although at this point the names and house numbers are not listed, the newspaper’s website treats law-abiding Indiana gun owners like sex offenders on a searchable database.

It is NRA's firm belief that there is no public good served by the publishing or cataloguing private citizens’ gun ownership information, and that more harm is done by such an action. Law-abiding Hoosiers should not be subjected to the same treatment as sex offenders, and if the newspaper won’t listen to their constituents and customers, then NRA Members and Indiana gun owners should send a financial message by cancelling their subscriptions to the Bloomington Herald-Times.

Please contact the Bloomington Herald-Times to respectfully voice your displeasure at the irresponsible action the newspaper has made.
    Scott Schurz, Sunday Hoosier Times/Editor-in-Chief
    (812) 331-4250
    Sschurz@heraldt.com
    E. Mayer Maloney Jr., Publisher
    (812) 331-4251
    Mmaloney@heraldt.com
    Bob Zaltsberg, Editor
    (812) 331-4364
    rzaltsberg@heraldt.com

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :D SE the answer is in the "original" thread called "Reporter wants to talk..." In that thread someone (not me) posted saying they send an email to the NRA but did not hear back from them.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    6Birds - I just offered to get the list through my business, but it looks like you beat me to it. I hadn't seen this thread. Please let me know what you get, and I'll be glad to help out if we want to send a few "Guess how we know that you own guns?" letters...

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    From 2A Patriots

Here is part of a Q&A segement the Herald Times held concerning the release of Indiana handgun license owners. You really need to view this.
    http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2009/12/01/news.688226.sto

You all might want to give these folks a call and let them hear what you got to say.
    Here are the email addresses and phone numbers of the “important” people at the Herald Times: Scott Schurz, Sunday Hoosier Times/Editor-in-Chief
    812-331-4250
    E. Mayer Maloney Jr., Publisher
    (812) 331-4251
    Bob Zaltsberg, Editor
    (812) 331-4364

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I feel safer already. Looking at the data base I see 5 LTCH permits on my little bitty street and I know 3 of them are in my household.

Wonder if the crazy guy shooting all the time out in his front yard shooting range night and day has a gun? duh

Top Bottom