Girl and her little brother attacked in Indy. (Brookside park)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess the lesson we should take from this is get your kids ready for the world they will be living in.
    Nothing we do seems to have any effect on changing the world so get ready for it.
    My kids are in there early 30's. They were taken to Karate classes and trained with my friends and I in force on force from a young age. Both could easily have defended themselves against this attack and would have. They were not bullys and did more to defend those who could not do it for themselves. Most likely both would have ended that attack if they were present. Both were subject to racial bully's growing up. This is nothing new.

This world is not fair. Never has been and will only get worse in this current political climate. Prepare yourselves. Prepare your kids.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Dang.

I was bullied a bit as a kid because I had dark skin (am white, as are both parents but they are dark complected) and was called 'a Mexican' even though that's not an insult and I have no spanish lineage as far as I am aware of (German and native American, which the native American is where the skin color comes from...). Was picked on as my name was easy to make fun of. May of even had my shoes tied together at recess or gravel kicked at me but never any actual real physical violence. What I experienced as a kid was bullying and it stopped more or less when I hit puberty and grew like 10" in a year, haha. Other kids that I recall seeing bulllied, it was limited to just name calling and similar stuff. Kids are mean little *******s sometimes... haha.

What the girl in the video experienced wasn't bullying... that was assault.

To me, bullying is name calling, harassment and some minor physical contact (shoving, tripping, whatever). Beyond that, and what was shown in the video, is gang style assault.

But I do agree, if you have kids, teach them how to handle such situations. I'm unsure what the parents of the girl who was attacked could have done to help prepare her for begin attacked like that short of self-defense classes. That's simply something not all kids are interested in and not something all inner city parents can budget either.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dang.

I was bullied a bit as a kid because I had dark skin (am white, as are both parents but they are dark complected) and was called 'a Mexican' even though that's not an insult and I have no spanish lineage as far as I am aware of (German and native American, which the native American is where the skin color comes from...). Was picked on as my name was easy to make fun of. May of even had my shoes tied together at recess or gravel kicked at me but never any actual real physical violence. What I experienced as a kid was bullying and it stopped more or less when I hit puberty and grew like 10" in a year, haha. Other kids that I recall seeing bulllied, it was limited to just name calling and similar stuff. Kids are mean little *******s sometimes... haha.

What the girl in the video experienced wasn't bullying... that was assault.

To me, bullying is name calling, harassment and some minor physical contact (shoving, tripping, whatever). Beyond that, and what was shown in the video, is gang style assault.

But I do agree, if you have kids, teach them how to handle such situations. I'm unsure what the parents of the girl who was attacked could have done to help prepare her for begin attacked like that short of self-defense classes. That's simply something not all kids are interested in and not something all inner city parents can budget either.

I can see how this can be viewed through different lifes experiences. That is what we judge things by.
    I was seriously bullied growing up. Skinny little kid. Had 4 siblings that were treated the same. All white on white as the area was not segregated in those days. Just mean kids. Yes, it included getting attacked just for the fun of it.
    I not only grew but my uncles took me under their wings and trained me to defend myself. That was in 1962 so this is something I have seen forever. My parents were :sheep: and I was lucky to have those uncles (army rangers) and not every kid does.

My daughter is the absolute last person anyone wants to mess with. She had these issues in school and had to respond on her own to stop it when the administration refused to admit there were racial tensions in their school. Private school. We paid huge money to put our kids there to avoid IPS. After my daughter put 2 of her attackers in the nurses office they finally admitted to having issues and it made the local news.

This is more common than many know. Get your kids ready.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Learns what exactly? To start packing? Because I'm thinking a bullet between the eyes is the only lesson the girl doing the beating needs. We put down rabid dogs that pose a danger to a neighborhood. This should be no different.

The truth about human nature. That violence is often unprovoked. That the world can be evil and one must be vigilant and prepared for it. That sometimes people are singled out for being different, or at the wrong place at the wrong time. That a mob mentality can be dangerous.

There are plenty of takeaways manifested in this one scene. I wish things like this didn't happen, but they do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The truth about human nature. That violence is often unprovoked. That the world can be evil and one must be vigilant and prepared for it. That sometimes people are singled out for being different, or at the wrong place at the wrong time. That a mob mentality can be dangerous.

There are plenty of takeaways manifested in this one scene. I wish things like this didn't happen, but they do.
    Well there is that I suppose. But think what the outcome would be if this was a pitbull attacking a child unprovoked. Do you suppose the dog would just be given a swat on the nose or would the consequences be something more "permanent"? Arguably a dog could be seen as doing what comes naturally. Humans should know better. Obviously some do not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well there is that I suppose. But think what the outcome would be if this was a pitbull attacking a child unprovoked. Do you suppose the dog would just be given a swat on the nose or would the consequences be something more "permanent"? Arguably a dog could be seen as doing what comes naturally. Humans should know better. Obviously some do not.

So true.
    Many are not trained past the "Dog" level. Parenting for the most part. Some are just bad seeds.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to see the girl behind the assault arrested and punished.

I think the way some people are posting her personal information, home address, cell phone number, is the wrong way to go about it. That just perpetuates the same type of mob mentality some are rightfully decrying.

Let the police handle it. It's a case of assault and should be handled as such.

What originally got my dander up was the insinuation that the victim's parents held some level of blame because they allowed her to go to the park without them.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    If the police handle it it's just racist cops against her. Hopefully she'll be taken care of one way or another. Hopefully this little boy can get past this. I could see him growing up and being a bit bitter towards certain people.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If the police handle it it's just racist cops against her. Hopefully she'll be taken care of one way or another. Hopefully this little boy can get past this. I could see him growing up and being a bit bitter towards certain people.

Racist cops? Are you saying cops in Indy are racist? And who are these "certain" people he would be bitter at, and why could you see it?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    so why were they attacked?

Until the alleged attacker explains her actions, any theories the rest of us float are pure speculation.

We don't know anything about the relationship of these two girls other than the fact that they attend the same school. We don't know what other connections they may have. That's why police will conduct an investigation.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    The attacker explained her rationale perfectly clearly on her Facebook account (which appears to have been deleted) Her words (my paraphrase) were that's what they get for being in a black park.

Top Bottom