Girl and her little brother attacked in Indy. (Brookside park)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ok. I'll bite on the pay now vs pay later thing. Just don't Take more than you already do. I'm sure .gov budget will cooperate.

IMO the main issue that has to be overcome is "who" and "when" do we get institutionalized. Basically you are advocating putting non criminals in what amounts to prison. On the tax payers dollar. If you knew in advance who the violent ones were that would help. Doggy daddy wants to make it easier for families to commit each other. Gotta say, I don't see any potential for the law of unintended consequences to be enforced with great enthusiasm. Well, I gotta go watch Minority Report. Catch you guys later!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So...ViperJock, what you're saying is that the government is doing a lot of unnecessary things that could be stopped so they would do the necessary things?

Sort of like forcing the DoD to engage in green energy projects and social experimentation? Do tell...

:popcorn:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Re-open Muscatatuck? :dunno:

I was there right after it was given over to the National Guard...the place wrote its own horror movie scripts. It's a difficult question but we seem to be a society that shies from difficult solutions.

Clearly, though, letting them walk among us is not a good solution.

Central state was closed years ago and our homeless/mentally ill walking the streets tripled over night.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Central state was closed years ago and our homeless/mentally ill walking the streets tripled over night.

I lived in Utica NY when they closed the facility there...having them on the street corners was not an improvement. There'd be a pack of a dozen or so scattered about, it made the city look even more like the set for some dark and twisted cinema feature; and it's not like the state wasn't taking enough of everyone's money.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Such as? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it...until my taxes are doubled to pay for it.

1. Who do you think is occupying your county jail?

2. Who do you think is causing trouble for the police and for peaceful good citizens?

3. Who do you think is in the Indiana Department of Corrections?

4. Who is in the ERs overdosing on booze, drugs or seeking drugs?

We pay for mental illness. It is a matter of when. I argue that we should pay on the front side of the curve.

I believe to be a great shame that we are not doing more, but I talk to the mentally ill, almost daily.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Central state was closed years ago .

Yeah, they just walked away from it, left everything in place. We went through it and every operating room, the padded cells, all the beds...they were all there just as they were used. Even the medical supplies in the cabinets.

There were generations that grew up there. The inmates and the caretakers, living side by side. The caretakers lived in housing on the facility, sometimes several generations of the same family would grow up and go to work there. The pictures of it all were still on the walls...like I said, it wrote its own scripts. Also like I said, we shy from the difficult solutions to unpleasant questions.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    On further research I see Central State was actually a separate facility from Muscatatuck...or as it was originally known "Indiana Farm Colony for the Feeble Minded".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On further research I see Central State was actually a separate facility from Muscatatuck...or as it was originally known "Indiana Farm Colony for the Feeble Minded".

The Farm Colony was in an area I grew up close to. We ran the trails around there 1st on Bicycles and then dirt bikes. I lived directly across the street from it for wa short while. We went through the buildings a lot as they were not locked. Freaky creepy.

That is all section 8 housing there now.
    The extreme west end of the property is a huge solar farm just completed.

Central State's grounds are now Condo's

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is what they're doing there now...

https://www.atterburymuscatatuck.in.ng.mil/

It's a great urban training complex but still...creepy.

You are referring to the atterbury farm.
    The one I am referring to was part of Central state but located north of the main facility east of the Motor Speedway. We always called it the poor farm. Dad always said that is where we would end up if we did not get good grades and worked hard. Scared the hell out of me at 8 years old.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    1. Who do you think is occupying your county jail?

2. Who do you think is causing trouble for the police and for peaceful good citizens?

3. Who do you think is in the Indiana Department of Corrections?

4. Who is in the ERs overdosing on booze, drugs or seeking drugs?

We pay for mental illness. It is a matter of when. I argue that we should pay on the front side of the curve.

I believe to be a great shame that we are not doing more, but I talk to the mentally ill, almost daily.

^^^^ Very well stated.

Not only do we pay for it one way or the other, I think there's also a "moral cost", in failing our mentally ill citizens.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^^^ Very well stated.

Not only do we pay for it one way or the other, I think there's also a "moral cost", in failing our mentally ill citizens.

And the damage caused to private property/theft/bodily harm/insurance rates and on and on and on.

In my trade I spent a lot of time in the downtown Indy area repairing the HVAC systems in the Hotels and office buildings. Every alley has a group of regulars that Lurk/live there. They have the shelters and storage areas for their stuff. They will watch your truck for $5.00. If you do not pay some of them they will **** on your rig or possibly smear Feces on your windows.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The one I am referring to was part of Central state but located north of the main facility east of the Motor Speedway. We always called it the poor farm. Dad always said that is where we would end up if we did not get good grades and worked hard. Scared the hell out of me at 8 years old.
    My oldest sister used to work at Central State (music therapy). I still remember her telling me about one of the patients saying, "I like roaches... they're CRUNCHY!" :nuts:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    And the damage caused to private property/theft/bodily harm/insurance rates and on and on and on.

In my trade I spent a lot of time in the downtown Indy area repairing the HVAC systems in the Hotels and office buildings. Every alley has a group of regulars that Lurk/live there. They have the shelters and storage areas for their stuff. They will watch your truck for $5.00. If you do not pay some of them they will **** on your rig or possibly smear Feces on your windows.

I grew up in a rural part of Delaware Co., and when I got a job in downtown Indy, it was a bit of culture shock for me. I'd never seen a homeless person or pan-handler before. I parked in a small lot just south of the Slippery Noodle. When I started, we had a security guard in a booth in the lot, but eventually they let the security guy go and then homeless people moved into the booth. I was one of the first to get there in the morning, and when my headlights swept across the booth, I'd see them peek out to see if I was a cop going to run them off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I grew up in a rural part of Delaware Co., and when I got a job in downtown Indy, it was a bit of culture shock for me. I'd never seen a homeless person or pan-handler before. I parked in a small lot just south of the Slippery Noodle. When I started, we had a security guard in a booth in the lot, but eventually they let the security guy go and then homeless people moved into the booth. I was one of the first to get there in the morning, and when my headlights swept across the booth, I'd see them peek out to see if I was a cop going to run them off.

The alley's are alive with them.
    In the winter they sleep on the air relief vents for the big buildings as it is warm air being exhausted as the fresh air is cycled in. They will fight for a spot on these vents. They block off the air flow to the point it sometimes causes issues.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The alley's are alive with them.
    In the winter they sleep on the air relief vents for the big buildings as it is warm air being exhausted as the fresh air is cycled in. They will fight for a spot on these vents. They block off the air flow to the point it sometimes causes issues.

I responded to a call-out the other night were one of them was sleeping on a steam-emitting man hole cover...which was located in the center of the right eastbound lane of 10th street just East of Meridian. I suspect that this person was suffering from a mental health issue to be sleeping in the middle of the street.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

I think we are talking about the same but different places. This one's over by the old Jefferson Proving Grounds. It's a whole city linked with underground tunnels. They have a small lake that's great for the SOF guys to deploy and assault across.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I suspect that this person was suffering from a mental health issue to be sleeping in the middle of the street.

I knew a guy who survived doing that once in Germany...he survived because at that time of night all the traffic was flying by on the outside of the curve he was sleeping on the inside of. I'm pretty sure his 'mental health issue' was chemically induced...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't :dunno:

But yeah, stating the apparently obvious tends to generate far too much debate.

Top Bottom