• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    People like dz is what's wrong with this country. We have standards in the society that we live in. Just because it's your constitutional right to act like a jackass doesn't mean you should.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    People like dz is what's wrong with this country. We have standards in the society that we live in. Just because it's your constitutional right to act like a jackass doesn't mean you should.
    I don't have a problem with someone acting like a jackass...as long as they understand there are consequences for those actions...and they accept that part of the responsibility.

Personal responsibility...I'm really big on that.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I don't have a problem with someone acting like a jackass...as long as they understand there are consequences for those actions...and they accept that part of the responsibility.

And sadly there's so little of it anymore, it's always someone else's fault.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    For the record, I don't know or care what "Code Pink" stands for and I don't care. Whatever it is, it's irrelevant to any calculus of whether what she was doing was constitutionally protected, or whether a large police officer in riot gear with a baton in his had was threatened by her.

My reading of other media accounts of this seems to suggest that this cop was reassigned to where he is no longer allowed to have contact with the public. If that's true, it seems to reason that someone besides just the citizen who was struck by the baton thought that his conduct was unacceptable.

Even though you don't care who Code Pink is, I care enough to share it with you.:cheers:
    A small protest of the Marines Recruiting office, where they block the entrance and the police do nothing, except tell people who are trying to enter they need to stay neutral. There's many videos on youtube, just go to youtube and type Code Pink in the subject line and you can learn all about their peacefull organization.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/scXXs4_2Ako?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/scXXs4_2Ako?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Now as I said before I believe it is a good thing for protests and rallys, but there has to be a line between protesting and enciting a riot. Yeah the big abd police officer had his riot gear on and a baton, and that tiny, poor lady was no threat to the cop. However did you see what took place before that 20 second confrontation. I didn't, if you seen what happend prior to this esculation please let me know, and I will retract my statement.

Theres a good chance as in most of their prior "protests", that it is possible, even remotely possible that the line was there to not only protect these pinkos, but to help keep the emotions of the spectators from reaching the boiling point. I for one am not going to try to walk through a police line, or grab for anything a officer is holding whether it be a gun, baton or a salami sandwhich; and if i do regardless of my size I would fully expect to be put in my place quickly. Looks as though they were making an arrest and she tried to interfare with that arrest.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The video didn't really show much more than the hit itself. That being said it seemed like a pretty solid hit to what looked like a smallish girl in a pink dress.

I think he probably could have handled this a little better and not ended up on the internet.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Not condoning anything one way or another, but anytime video like this is snipped without a good lead of time in and out automatically makes me question the situation presented.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    People [STRIKE]like dz[/STRIKE] is what's wrong with this country. We have standards in the society that we live in. Just because it's your constitutional right to act like a jackass doesn't mean you should.

I've been too promiscuous with my rep. Although I won't go so far as to name any names (hence the strike-through), I do agree that just because we CAN do something doesn't always mean that we SHOULD. If we DO choose to engage in irresponsible behavior, we should be willing to accept the consequences. Excellent posts! :ingo:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

Replace "act like a jackass" with "carry a gun" and see how well your policy would work.

Hypothetical:

'Just because you have a constitutional right (in Indiana at least) to carry a firearm openly or concealed, doesn't mean that you should. We have standards in this society, and people like IndyMonkey who violate them, even if they don't do anything illegal, are what's wrong with this country....'

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Replace "act like a jackass" with "carry a gun" and see how well your policy would work.

Hypothetical:

'Just because you have a constitutional right (in Indiana at least) to carry a firearm openly or concealed, doesn't mean that you should. We have standards in this society, and people like IndyMonkey who violate them, even if they don't do anything illegal, are what's wrong with this country....'

Sorry but you stretched too far on that one.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Sorry but you stretched too far on that one.

I think you're absolutely wrong. We're here in a community of gun owners, so something like concealed or open carry is no big deal to us. But you're dead wrong if you don't think that it violates a social custom that has been part of our society for at least a century, if not longer.

It is not socially acceptable to carry a gun. The open carry threads have shown this. It violates the custom of our society for anyone without a badge next to it to be carrying a firearm.

Fortunately, for all of us, this is not a democracy. Our ability to carry our guns, legally and in plain sight, is protected by state law and the state constitution.

The same can be said about First Amendment rights. The state, whether through police or statute, does not have the authority to proscribe orthodoxy. The state should not be using force against people who want to express their political opinion. Make no mistake, that is exactly what happened in this case. And, according to you, the only standard of analysis is 'don't act like a jackass.'

Sorry but I'm not buying it. It's intellectually dishonest to defend certain rights while trampling on others.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Did she grab the baton earlier? Don't know. Was she grabbing it in the video? No. If there was an issue with her grabbing it, shouldn't he have taken whatever action was required at that time? If it was an arrestable offense, shouldn't she have been arrested when she grabbed it?
    The cop was clearly agitated at this small woman and her attitude, hence the baton to the face. I seriously doubt, and I bet you all agree if you think about it, it had much to do with the grabbing or attempted grabbing and more to do with her behavior. That use of force was unnecessary.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    And this is what I hope is not true. If it is then he is wrong. No other way about it. Nothing is personal...it should be all business.

I'm also not foolish enough to believe it never happens...but it shouldn't.

I actually agree with you on all points. I'd rep you but I'm out.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It's obvious to me from watching the video that it didn't happen. I read the other media reports and as far as I'm concerned, someone is making that up. So as far as I'm concerned, the answer to your question is merely a hypothetical one.snip.

It's obvious to you? Pray tell, what besides your own little fantasy world and seething hatred of police officers in general, makes that obvious to you from this edited video?

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    And this is what I hope is not true. If it is then he is wrong. No other way about it. Nothing is personal...it should be all business.

I'm also not foolish enough to believe it never happens...but it shouldn't.
    Ditto. I just didn't see the grabbing in the video, not that it didn't happen, but again if it did then it should have been handled at the time not when she got mouthy. If she didn't grab it and the whole issue was just words, then he has some serious anger issues.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    What if you throw out gender, body size, side of the argument, LEO/civilian and just say it was x and y. How threatening to x does y have to be before x can put baton to face?

Does this make any sense?:dunno:I haven't slept since yesterday:D

I don't care what is happening, if the sky is blue or if it's raining Skittles...If someone comes at me threatening me I'm not waiting for them to hit me first.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Could we please have links to those "other media sources" ? My search fu must be weak. Other than the link I posted, I'm having trouble finding other media accounts with anymore info. ( other than in left wing blogosphere ) If only the video would have started 10 to 15 seconds earlier, it would be easy to determine if she grabbed for the baton, or not. I don't know how anyone could jump to, errr.... come to any conclusion one way or another on the limited evidence presented. One would think that both sides in this case would want to show the whole story . It is entirely possible that both parties involved, were in the wrong.

Top Bottom