• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I had a similar experience. I stopped at the counter, took out my knife and cut the zip tie on my carry. A 1500 worker said "you can't do that in here.". So I simply pointed to the sign and said "I'll reload outside where it is safe, biut this sign says nothing about zip ties." I told him to have a good day and left.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    It would seem to me that the one major indicator of loading your firearm, and the first step in the process, is cutting off the zip tie. It's partially an assumption by the cop/employee but it is based upon witnessing that same series of events throughout the day(s). Cut em some slack. No need to namecall....

What's the big deal? Some dip-**** wants to act like he knows what's safe. Some dip-**** wants to pull out his firearm while still in the building while there is a crowd. Some dip-**** decides he doesn't need to obey the simple safety rules (even though they are not posted anywhere).
    I know alot of people gets swept by some dip-**** loading or unloading or just handling his gun at the show. Sorry if I make a big deal about something you think is a small issue. I don't want to be involved in a mishap.
    :twocents:

**I'm not calling no one particular person any names. Just trying to put the other view into the OP's statement. Just as the OP thought this officer was a dip-**** for criticizing his cutting of the temporary safety device, I'm sure others thought look at this dip-**** coonfingering his gun in a crowded room.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Saw the signs prohibiting the loading firearms inside the building when departing the building. No signs prohibiting the cutting of the zip ties once one leaves the showroom.

I cut my zip tie in the lobby, and a dip-**** IPD cop was ready to crucify me when I did so.

"I don't want your stupidity to cost me my right to carry my firearm!", followed by some dip-**** 1500 employee who was echoing everything the cop was saying. I guess that gun show cops now have minions assigned to them.

I pointed out that the signs merely prohibited loading, and not removing the zip tie.

Apparently he was illiterate, as he told me that the signs forbid the cutting of zip ties. I'm now wondering how he ever successfully passed the civil service exam.

I would have called over an IMPD officer and informed him someone is impersonating an officer. IPD hasn't been around for several years.

:D

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    There's a brick wall 25 yards from the entrance. Go over there where there's nobody standing around to catch fragments if you **** up, hold your gun pointed at it with one hand, use the little pair of $0.99 Harbor Freight diagonal cutters to snip the zip tie with the other.

Drop the cutters on the ground (they'll be there when you're done, promise; it's more important to pay attention to controlling the muzzle of your pistol than making sure you get the cutters stowed.) Lock the slide to the rear and remove the zip tie (Important safety tip!) from the ejection port end.

Remove the magazine from your pocket, stuff it in the gun, drop the slide, and then (Important safety tip!) visually confirm that a round was chambered before holstering your gat. It's not complicated; I've somehow managed to do it once or twice every gun show weekend for years. Best of all? I don't get my little fee-fees hurt by the mean po-weeceman if I do it this way, and I don't get my elbow jostled in a crowded lobby by some unwashed Cletus while I'm trying to do this.

It doesn't make you sound like a big tough guy who stood up to The Man if the first thing you go do is whine to the internet about how your fee-fees got hurt.

Ya know, if the dip-**** cop wouldn't have been nasty, with would have been a non issue with me, and certainly wouldn't have posted to INGO.

However, it didn't work out that way, and people like you believe that I'm the guy pushing the envelope........when in reality, it was the rude cop on the power trip. I didn't want this altercation, but I'll be damned if I'll cower in the corner, just because he wanted to be a over-controlling *****.

Its bad enough that patrons who attend the 1500, don't bathe. Its worse to having to around the few morons who rudely push their way past you, only stop 3 feet in right in front in the middle of the aisle, and block your ability to walk by. These are the same people I had in mind when I just wanted to move out of the way in the lobby and utilize a flat surface to cut the zip tie, simply because I didn't want to impale myself with a knife.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I didn't want this altercation, but I'll be damned if I'll cower in the corner

"Being calm and polite" != "cower(ing) in the corner." If your feelings are so easily bruised by the words of others, if you're so easily provoked into verbal altercations, perhaps you should think long and hard before holstering up in the first place.

Ted said:
    Its bad enough that patrons who attend the 1500, don't bathe. Its worse to having to around the few morons who rudely push their way past you, only stop 3 feet in right in front in the middle of the aisle, and block your ability to walk by. These are the same people I had in mind when I just wanted to move out of the way in the lobby and utilize a flat surface to cut the zip tie, simply because I didn't want to impale myself with a knife.
    Hey, you know where there's even less chance of having your elbow jostled than the lobby? Twenty-five yards away from the door with a safe backstop, that's where.

And I still don't get why you need a "flat surface". If I can hold a gun in one weak and girly hand and cut the zip tie off it with the cutting implement in the other, then surely you should be able to accomplish the same feat.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I'm sure it was paraphrased here...but this line indicates to me the cop knew and was pissed about the dip**** that shot his finger off and is a friend of the 2nd Amendment.

He didn't want 'Stupid' to make the paper again. The lead in to the story in the rallies this weekend on ABC News last night talked about 4 people being shot at gun shows this weekend THEN went to rallies. He didn't want it to happen again in a room full of people. He had probably seen so much 'Stupid' this weekend and smelled so much crop dusting and BO...that he had had enough.

Its a pretty accurate quote. Though, as my magazine was in my bag and wasn't nowhere available or even visible, he just presupposed that I was loading my weapon.

sben763

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Most venues can add a rule at anytime. Simply put they put the tie on in expectancy that it will remain on till you leave the building. If you were outside you were in the right. If you were inside and cut the tie they have the right to require you to keep the tie on, posted or not.

You may be the safest guy out there but there is no way to determine that at the show.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Really Ted keeping a zip tie on your unloaded gun while you are in the building has been the rules posted or not posted since the 1500 has started happening - What makes you think you are above the rules? Don't tell me this was your first gun show - every gun show I've been to in indiana has the same rule - Cmon man really? It pissed you off because you were caught breaking the rules and want to blame the cop? - Yes you have the issue not the cop -

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Just cut it when you get outside an out of sight of people that will care and be done with it....

Now there will probably be a rule list a mile long for those that want to push their luck.... I saw this because I have seen MANY cut zip ties laying around in the ticket sales area.

Take the evidence with you people.... That way when someone goes looking for something to flip out on they don't find piles of cut zip ties.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Ya know, if the dip-**** cop wouldn't have been nasty, with would have been a non issue with me, and certainly wouldn't have posted to INGO.

However, it didn't work out that way, and people like you believe that I'm the guy pushing the envelope........when in reality, it was the rude cop on the power trip. I didn't want this altercation, but I'll be damned if I'll cower in the corner, just because he wanted to be a over-controlling *****.

So finally, the true reason for your tantrum. The ever famous, no ones especially a cop is gonna disrespect me argument.

Never fails.

Pacifiers, rattles and bottles aren't sold at the 1500, I think you were at the wring show.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    A complex? You're a mindreader, or at the very least, a clinical psychologist? Are you sure that you're not also a moderator too?I do have medical credentials, as if that matters. I think in the very least you have trouble with someone in a position of authority over you. And yes, I am a moderator; but not on this site :)

Congrats. I have medical credentials too, but I'm still not a headshrink. Nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I don't recall too many posts where I badmouthed cops in general, but have made some statements regarding action and attitudes upon some in LE that were just plain ol' wrong. If I recall correctly, I have generally been very supportive of those within LE. So what of your sig video?

Watch it and learn. Its a very reasonable and common sense approach to interaction with LE. Here's a preemptive clue: Its a video of how to treat a cop with respect for his authority, but not being stepped on by over zealous cops.

What rules? Where were such rules posted? I went through their website, and didn't find the rule about such in it either. Maybe there is a rule about wearing college tee shirts too. Now you are just being obtuse, see post quote narrative.

What is, again, so obtuse about following rules? What is, again, so obtuse about questioning a rule that doesn't exist?

Oh, so nobody is being allowed to enable their firearms until they reach their automobiles? Or is it just me? Is that just arbitrary, or capricious too? No one is allowed to remove the zipties inside the facilty. Whether it be an EDC, a safe queen, or a range toy. It was not just you. Fairly certain that anyone cutting the zipties inside after the ND through the guys hand would get talked to.

You're missing the point. The firearms of the people entering the same room from the outside, don't have their firearms zip tied either.

I'm complaining and trashing someone who decided to enforce a rule that didn't exist, until that very time. Property rules do not have to exist, and they do not have to encompass everyone. Nor do they have to be fair. You could look at the Leaseholder and them ask you to leave. They can deny you services for having an opposing collegiate team. It is their property for the duration of the show, and they can make rules that do not break with the facilities rules.

Looking at the cut zip ties on the floor of the lobby yesterday, I strongly suspect that the rule was made up on the spot.

Good. Where again were the flat surfaces that I could have utilized? I certainly didn't see any. Perhaps the ground, but alas the earth is not flat.

Yeah, think again.

You, my friend, are missing the point.....but go ahead and stick up for your brethren in blue. After all, cops are never wrong.I am not a LEO. I just respect anyone who serves our community, and especially LEO as they get so much crap flung their way.

The way you're conveying your message, it certainly smacks of it.

Cops aren't the only public servants that get crap, and I fully realize that as I've been there myself. Though I've never treated anyone with such disrespect and contempt whence in that position.

Do you post your house rules so that everyone who comes over sees them clearly visible? Does your employer post them on the wall, or do they hand you a code of conduct and have you sign that you read it?

An apples to oranges comparison, but your point is understood. Though I'm not about to act like a 3 year old and treat a person in a disrespectful manner, because they may have committed an infraction.

The fact is, it is the promoters protocol to ziptie every gun that comes into the show to prevent any ND's. As such, they believe that everyone has the common courtesy and common sense to keep the ziptie on until they are out of the facility.

As for the same reasons I've outlined above, I've been doing this very same thing for the past 10+ years, and others have been doing the same that day as well.

Here you go.

Top Bottom