• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Several times when I have had a firearm zip tied at the 1500 the officer has told me to leave the zip tie on until I exit the building. They may or may not have told every person as they came in the door due to the line.

As is typical with Internet discussions, this one is one sided and we have not heard the other side.

I can honestly state that I was not so informed of this, nor have I ever been informed of such as long as I've attended the 1500.

As far as I can remember, I've always cut the zip ties in the lobby.....along with many others who have done such.

Last edited:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    And for the ND statements I personally know a ISP officer that shot himself in the hand while cleaning his service piece. Happened in 08 I believe.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Even though I don't agree with the way he is saying it, I do agree with Ted. Thousands of people are coming onto that lobby without having ziptie on their guns, why shouldn't a guy think he can cut his ziptie in the same room? I know I wasn't told to leave it on the whole time I was in the building.

If they want you to have a ziptie on the whole time you are in the building, they should be checking guns on the sidewalk.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Even though I don't agree with the way he is saying it, I do agree with Ted. Thousands of people are coming onto that lobby without having ziptie on their guns, why shouldn't a guy think he can cut his ziptie in the same room? I know I wasn't told to leave it on the whole time I was in the building.

If they want you to have a ziptie on the whole time you are in the building, they should be checking guns on the sidewalk.

Sheesh! Every time I have left the 1500 over the past few years, there has been a pile of zip-ties in the exit-side of the lobby across from the ticket booths. I've always considered it a statement of "look how many are carrying". I've always snipped mine off there, just to add to the picture. Sort of like pitchin' pennies into the well. I never load there, I'll wait for a safe backstop. I hate that dang thing on my firearm.

ol' poke

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Then again, perhaps your bad self doesn't feel the need to possess a fully operational weapon in that neighborhood.

There's a brick wall 25 yards from the entrance. Go over there where there's nobody standing around to catch fragments if you **** up, hold your gun pointed at it with one hand, use the little pair of $0.99 Harbor Freight diagonal cutters to snip the zip tie with the other.

Drop the cutters on the ground (they'll be there when you're done, promise; it's more important to pay attention to controlling the muzzle of your pistol than making sure you get the cutters stowed.) Lock the slide to the rear and remove the zip tie (Important safety tip!) from the ejection port end.

Remove the magazine from your pocket, stuff it in the gun, drop the slide, and then (Important safety tip!) visually confirm that a round was chambered before holstering your gat. It's not complicated; I've somehow managed to do it once or twice every gun show weekend for years. Best of all? I don't get my little fee-fees hurt by the mean po-weeceman if I do it this way, and I don't get my elbow jostled in a crowded lobby by some unwashed Cletus while I'm trying to do this.

It doesn't make you sound like a big tough guy who stood up to The Man if the first thing you go do is whine to the internet about how your fee-fees got hurt.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I waited until I got to my car to cut the zip tie off the gun I was OC'ing on my hip. The one I was CC'ing was never zip tied in the first place. Problem solved. ;)

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Defused problem.

There's a brick wall 25 yards from the entrance. Go over there where there's nobody standing around to catch fragments if you **** up, hold your gun pointed at it with one hand, use the little pair of $0.99 Harbor Freight diagonal cutters to snip the zip tie with the other.

Drop the cutters on the ground (they'll be there when you're done, promise; it's more important to pay attention to controlling the muzzle of your pistol than making sure you get the cutters stowed.) Lock the slide to the rear and remove the zip tie (Important safety tip!) from the ejection port end.

Remove the magazine from your pocket, stuff it in the gun, drop the slide, and then (Important safety tip!) visually confirm that a round was chambered before holstering your gat. It's not complicated; I've somehow managed to do it once or twice every gun show weekend for years. Best of all? I don't get my little fee-fees hurt by the mean po-weeceman if I do it this way, and I don't get my elbow jostled in a crowded lobby by some unwashed Cletus while I'm trying to do this.

It doesn't make you sound like a big tough guy who stood up to The Man if the first thing you go do is whine to the internet about how your fee-fees got hurt.
    This is why men need ladies around. They keep you from going Full-stupid.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    "I don't want your stupidity to cost me my right to carry my firearm!",

I'm sure it was paraphrased here...but this line indicates to me the cop knew and was pissed about the dip**** that shot his finger off and is a friend of the 2nd Amendment.

He didn't want 'Stupid' to make the paper again. The lead in to the story in the rallies this weekend on ABC News last night talked about 4 people being shot at gun shows this weekend THEN went to rallies. He didn't want it to happen again in a room full of people. He had probably seen so much 'Stupid' this weekend and smelled so much crop dusting and BO...that he had had enough.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

:yesway:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe if the promoters had a designated area with sand barrels and bags with a trash can for plastic orange zip ties to keep thing tidy.

Don't mind me, just riding my hobby horse around.:D

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Maybe if the promoters had a designated area with sand barrels and bags with a trash can for plastic orange zip ties to keep thing tidy.

Wouldn't do a bit of good. People like you would use the sand barrels, while Cletii would just continue using their hands for backstops.

Further, there are already trash cans all over the place and slobs just throw the zip ties on the ground. If they can't figure out how to use a trash can, how do you expect them to figure out a complicated piece of gear like a barrel of sand? I mean, all those moving parts and the long instruction booklet are pretty daunting...

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    People do silly stuff with guns because they know no better way. Show them and they will understand.

Given your line of work, your optimistic faith in the perfectibility of humanity is touching. ;)

If leading by example worked, there'd be a line of people behind you waiting to use the safe backstop when you got done reloading; instead, they're out in the parking lot, using cars, the sky, their own body parts, and their fellow patrons for the purpose.

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN

Don't mind me, just riding my hobby horse around.:D
    I can't think of a sand barrel configuration that would get in between a man's hand and his gun.

JAFO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    This whole conversation circles around the real issue... there is a whole bunch of people that just don't have good weapon handling skills. They walk, talk and drive just like they handle their pistol... with blinders on and only concerned with themselves.
    I'm sure the officer is tired of watching undiciplined sheep mishandle their gun and/ or sweep everyone in the area with the gun cause they're clueless. Unfortunately the properly trained get treated the same.

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    There are written rules, then there's common sense. You can't cover every scenario in writing, mainly because it would take 500 pages and no one would read it. Sure, there's no sign that says "You can't reload your weapon with one foot outside the door and one foot on the tile while singing an off-key ditty", but it doesn't mean you should try.

if a trooper wrote you a $150.00 ticket for doing 56 in a 55, you'd be ticked, but that's the law. Commons sense steps in, and you make it home without a ticket.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    A complex? You're a mindreader, or at the very least, a clinical psychologist? Are you sure that you're not also a moderator too?I do have medical credentials, as if that matters. I think in the very least you have trouble with someone in a position of authority over you. And yes, I am a moderator; but not on this site :)

I don't recall too many posts where I badmouthed cops in general, but have made some statements regarding action and attitudes upon some in LE that were just plain ol' wrong. If I recall correctly, I have generally been very supportive of those within LE. So what of your sig video?

What rules? Where were such rules posted? I went through their website, and didn't find the rule about such in it either. Maybe there is a rule about wearing college tee shirts too. Now you are just being obtuse, see post quote narrative.

Oh, so nobody is being allowed to enable their firearms until they reach their automobiles? Or is it just me? Is that just arbitrary, or capricious too? No one is allowed to remove the zipties inside the facilty. Whether it be an EDC, a safe queen, or a range toy. It was not just you. Fairly certain that anyone cutting the zipties inside after the ND through the guys hand would get talked to.

I'm complaining and trashing someone who decided to enforce a rule that didn't exist, until that very time. Property rules do not have to exist, and they do not have to encompass everyone. Nor do they have to be fair. You could look at the Leaseholder and them ask you to leave. They can deny you services for having an opposing collegiate team. It is their property for the duration of the show, and they can make rules that do not break with the facilities rules.

Good. Where again were the flat surfaces that I could have utilized? I certainly didn't see any. Perhaps the ground, but alas the earth is not flat.

You, my friend, are missing the point.....but go ahead and stick up for your brethren in blue. After all, cops are never wrong.I am not a LEO. I just respect anyone who serves our community, and especially LEO as they get so much crap flung their way.

Do you post your house rules so that everyone who comes over sees them clearly visible? Does your employer post them on the wall, or do they hand you a code of conduct and have you sign that you read it?

The fact is, it is the promoters protocol to ziptie every gun that comes into the show to prevent any ND's. As such, they believe that everyone has the common courtesy and common sense to keep the ziptie on until they are out of the facility.

Top Bottom