CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Is marriage a mystery (a sacrament) or is it a ceremony? Are the spouses any different spiritually when they leave the church vs when they enter? Spiritually, legally, socially? How so?

What is the role of the people in attendance? Is it spiritual, legal, or social?

Apply the same questions to a civil ceremony, justice of the peace say... Are the answers any different?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Is marriage a mystery (a sacrament) or is it a ceremony? Are the spouses any different spiritually when they leave the church vs when they enter? Spiritually, legally, socially? How so?

What is the role of the people in attendance? Is it spiritual, legal, or social?

Apply the same questions to a civil ceremony, justice of the peace say... Are the answers any different?

You misspelled Misery.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well said. Never entirely "there" but always more aware and moving closer.

Pretty radical message for most men.

"Stop trying. You can't do it on your own. You are weak. You need help."

But once God breaks your heart and reveals himself, no turning back.

1 Cointhians 16:4-12

Pay special attention to....

If it is fitting...it may be....whereever... hope to stay...if the Lord permits...if Timothy comes...strongly urged...however...

Words of a man who has totally submitted to God reading from the NKJV.

I find it interesting and chuckle at the Heading in my Bible..."Paul's Plans"

To me it should be "Paul's submission to God's plan!"

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I realize that some of this is not acceptable to some, but G-d does not really care.

Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
    Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
    For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
    Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives beto their own husbands in every thing.
    Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
    That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
    So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
    For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
    For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
    For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
    This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
    Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You too?!

https://babylonbee.com/news/baptist-kids-learn-exciting-account-jesus-turning-water-grape-juice/

https://babylonbee.com/news/bottle-of-welchs-grape-juice-discovered-near-site-of-last-supper/

You should have seen the uproar I caused when I brought two wine bottle corks to my fundamentalist Baptist school so I could perform a magic trick.

Im surprised they let you do a magic trick. My fundy Baptist school in northern Wisconsin would have had to set up counseling if someone brought in wine corks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Im surprised they let you do a magic trick. My fundy Baptist school in northern Wisconsin would have had to set up counseling if someone brought in wine corks.

It was 2nd grade. I was showing off at recess, and a teacher made a bee line toward me when she saw them in my hands.

My parents were informed, I don't recall how or what was said, but when we got home there was some eye rolling and concept of "not causing your weaker brother to stumble" was explained. :):

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It was 2nd grade. I was showing off at recess, and a teacher made a bee line toward me when she saw them in my hands.

My parents were informed, I don't recall how or what was said, but when we got home there was some eye rolling and concept of "not causing your weaker brother to stumble" was explained. :):

Ahhh, the old “don’t cause your brother to stumble.” That’s the trump card of all fundamental Baptists when they don’t want you to do something that they don’t like. If they can’t control you with doctrine, they will control you with guilt!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    1 Cointhians 16:4-12

Pay special attention to....

If it is fitting...it may be....whereever... hope to stay...if the Lord permits...if Timothy comes...strongly urged...however...

Words of a man who has totally submitted to God reading from the NKJV.

I find it interesting and chuckle at the Heading in my Bible..."Paul's Plans"

To me it should be "Paul's submission to God's plan!"
    Like Drake says

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The article is short, and the interesting thing to me is that the prosecutor isn't challenging (according to the article) the JW's assertion of clergy privilege. The media outlet is the one drawing out the righteous indignation.

Totally in keeping with my faith tradition's reliance on Confession, I think the refusal to disclose the information is defensible. I would hope that the young man is counseled to repeat his admission to the secular authorities so as to be truly repentant.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    OK, was anyone else told as a kid that the peace sign was a cross with the arms broken? As if there's a secret anti-christ meaning?

:dunno:

For example: https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False Religions/Wicca & Witchcraft/peace_sign.htm

Seems the truth is actually rather boring: https://99percentinvisible.org/arti...aning-encoded-in-a-universal-symbol-of-peace/

Yep, I remember being told that. I also remember that the Eagles Hotel California was Satanic, the movie theater was where teens go to hook up, and that dancing was just as bad as pre-marital sex. I should come up with a master list of these things. It would be hilarious.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, good, I wasn't the only one. Who else watched Hell's Bells? The anti- Rock n' Roll propaganda film by mullet-master Eric Holmburg?

[video=youtube;AKIQ7T-t_V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIQ7T-t_V4[/video]

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Ok, good, I wasn't the only one. Who else watched Hell's Bells? The anti- Rock n' Roll propaganda film by mullet-master Eric Holmburg?

[video=youtube;AKIQ7T-t_V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIQ7T-t_V4[/video]

I can still picture my youth pastor wheeling in the cart with the TV on it and popping in the VHS tape of this video.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I never saw that because even if ya'all were right about something, we weren't allowed to know about it.

;)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OK, was anyone else told as a kid that the peace sign was a cross with the arms broken? As if there's a secret anti-christ meaning?

:dunno:

For example: https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False Religions/Wicca & Witchcraft/peace_sign.htm

Seems the truth is actually rather boring: https://99percentinvisible.org/arti...aning-encoded-in-a-universal-symbol-of-peace/

I never heard that, but was told it stood for Nuclear Disarmament.
    peace_semaphore_300.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thought about a new thread, but somehow this seems more appropriate. I seek diverse opinions. The circumstances under which I asked this question initially may have caused it to receive short (or curtailed) shrift

Can only a godly man do God's work?

Top Bottom