CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: General Religious Discussion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You are using the word in a different sense than I am. I am using it in the biblical sense.

Was there a time if you ate meat on Friday you would go to hell? Or were to fast before communion?

"Traditionally" the fast is on Wednesday and Friday and the fast is from Vespers the night before communion, but I don't remember the consequence being hell fire. This type of tradition is subject to Economia and is different than what I was referring to in my original post. It is different from the Tradition that produced Scripture which is why I capitalize Tradition to differentiate from customs, local, regional or even world wide.

Traditions have changed; the Word of God has not.

Remember a time when I might go to hell if I ate meat on Friday, I had to refrain from eating / drinking 3 hours before communion......traditions have changed. Scripture has not.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    In most Baptist churches, they use grape juice for Communion, and they pass out a small cup of it to each person. I have also been in churches where they have a loaf of bread and a large goblet of juice to dip the bread and the people form a line. Which tradition is scriptural?

The difference is that we DO have the Bible.

That is because Baptists have broken from Tradition.

I prefer my Christianity to have no difference from Traditional or ancient Christianity. Tradition is what determined what books are in the Book.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    You are using the word in a different sense than I am. I am using it in the biblical sense.

Was there a time if you ate meat on Friday you would go to hell? Or were to fast before communion?

"Traditionally" the fast is on Wednesday and Friday and the fast is from Vespers the night before communion, but I don't remember the consequence being hell fire. This type of tradition is subject to Economia and is different than what I was referring to in my original post. It is different from the Tradition that produced Scripture which is why I capitalize Tradition to differentiate from customs, local, regional or even world wide.

In my school it was drilled into our heads that it was a mortal sin to eat mean on friday.

So, am I understanding you that Tradition is the same as Scripture? If not, what is the difference? If it is the same, why not just call it Scripture?

I'm trying to rationalize this. Tradition is God made and tradition is man made?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    That is because Baptists have broken from Tradition.

I can't completely disagree with you there.

I prefer my Christianity to have no difference from Traditional or ancient Christianity. Tradition is what determined what books are in the Book.

I think it would be interesting to sit down and discuss our differences and commonalities. It sounds like we might have more in common than expected.

That being said, your Tradition, and the tradition being discussed recently are worlds apart. (t)radition resulted in men and women sitting on opposite sides of the room, elevated platforms, podiums, the fact that many churches have vaulted ceilings with exposed beams, etc. These things are not Scripture. They are tradition.

In my years in the church the phrase that I hated more than anything was "that's the way we've always done it." My response would always be "Why?" I learned to question everything rather than just accept it as S.O.P. I think that questioning your METHODS and (t)raditions is healthy as you seek to be salt and light to those around you.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    In my school it was drilled into our heads that it was a mortal sin to eat mean on friday.

So, am I understanding you that Tradition is the same as Scripture? If not, what is the difference? If it is the same, why not just call it Scripture?

I'm trying to rationalize this. Tradition is God made and tradition is man made?

Being Orthodox, I understand the Catholic view of mortal vs venial sin but don't subscribe the the rigid categorization that Catholicism produced.

Tradition provides the framework with which to understand Scripture. In that sense perhaps they are the same. One of the important roles of Tradition though is to guard against misinterpretation.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I blame the Methodists for that.
    In most Baptist churches, they use grape juice for Communion, and they pass out a small cup of it to each person. I have also been in churches where they have a loaf of bread and a large goblet of juice to dip the bread and the people form a line. Which tradition is scriptural?

The difference is that we DO have the Bible.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We are usually more alike than not :)

I would agree with your entire post. :D

I can't completely disagree with you there.

I think it would be interesting to sit down and discuss our differences and commonalities. It sounds like we might have more in common than expected.

That being said, your Tradition, and the tradition being discussed recently are worlds apart. (t)radition resulted in men and women sitting on opposite sides of the room, elevated platforms, podiums, the fact that many churches have vaulted ceilings with exposed beams, etc. These things are not Scripture. They are tradition.

In my years in the church the phrase that I hated more than anything was "that's the way we've always done it." My response would always be "Why?" I learned to question everything rather than just accept it as S.O.P. I think that questioning your METHODS and (t)raditions is healthy as you seek to be salt and light to those around you.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I won't argue, because I do not like to, at least not about the bible. I will however postulate a premise.

What did the grape say when it was stepped on?

Nothing he just lie out a little WINE.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Jesus was the first to make Grape Juice at the wedding at Cana. In 1869, Thomas Welch discovered the secret method of pasteurization that Jesus had kept secret for nearly 1900 years. He then spent the rest of his life travelling the country, selling it to Baptists. True story.

At least thats how I remember the sunday school lesson.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    So I have a hard time with food and drink sometimes.

This morning I did something I should do more often.

I didn't think about relying on my will power to make a good choice but the power of God.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    DjhSPzlWwAA2o86.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Jesus was the first to make Grape Juice at the wedding at Cana. In 1869, Thomas Welch discovered the secret method of pasteurization that Jesus had kept secret for nearly 1900 years. He then spent the rest of his life travelling the country, selling it to Baptists. True story.

At least thats how I remember the sunday school lesson.
    You too?!

https://babylonbee.com/news/baptist-kids-learn-exciting-account-jesus-turning-water-grape-juice/

https://babylonbee.com/news/bottle-of-welchs-grape-juice-discovered-near-site-of-last-supper/

You should have seen the uproar I caused when I brought two wine bottle corks to my fundamentalist Baptist school so I could perform a magic trick.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I didn't think about relying on my will power to make a good choice but the power of God.

Just make a big pot of steel cut oats on Sunday night, then dish up five days worth of individual serving kept in the fridge. :yesway:

its-the-right-thing-to-do.jpg

And instant or quick oats are crap!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

The true human being or the true Christian, for they are one and the same, involves God in every decision without thought..as involuntary as breathing. That is sainthood. For the rest of us, the conscious effort to do so is a good start. Almost instinctively we do so in a big decision or crisis. It's when we realize that He is also there in the most mundane decision and we seek His guidance continually that we are walking in the footsteps of the one true Human being.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    The true human being or the true Christian, for they are one and the same, involves God in every decision without thought..as involuntary as breathing. That is sainthood. For the rest of us, the conscious effort to do so is a good start. Almost instinctively we do so in a big decision or crisis. It's when we realize that He is also there in the most mundane decision and we seek His guidance continually that we are walking in the footsteps of the one true Human being.

Well said. Never entirely "there" but always more aware and moving closer.

Pretty radical message for most men.

"Stop trying. You can't do it on your own. You are weak. You need help."

But once God breaks your heart and reveals himself, no turning back.

Top Bottom