• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Never had a problem with the fees. Appreciated a safe environment to shoot in. Not worried about myself.. its others that concern me. Not everyone practices safety when shooting.

Thanks to all the guys who worked the range. Remember guys, nobody works for free. Kind of silly to dump a thousand bucks or more into your weapon then complain about 6-8 bucks to have a safe area within which to shoot it.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    screw them, i liked it when it was free

I think that's basically why the "concessionaire" or whatever he is called is not renewing. Not enough people wanting to pay $10an hour to shoot for a range that our TAX DOLLARS PAID FOR!!!

I guess since a White Castle is now .69 cents it's ok to charge $10 an hour to shoot or whatever the rate is this week.......gimme a friggin break.:rolleyes:

You can't just keep raising prices and expect people to show up and pay.

I for one liked the old FREE dirt pile just fine.

Keep raising prices and run off all of your customer base. Great business model......LOOKS LIKE IT WORKED!:laugh:

I'll stick with my $3 a day local range.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Your deduction may be correct, privatization may not work.
    Buzz---I have to agree with you---I am familiar with the whole Atterbury range upgrade from concept to completion and didn't think a vendor could make it from the beginning. I am familiar with the ins and outs of "the gun business" and unless you have good retail sales a range is just a giant headache.
    FWIW----as far as the range itself and shooting there---I quit for two reasons and it has nothing to do with the employee's/RO's.
    The rules, which I personally know were imposed/strongly suggested by the state and not the vendor, and the cost.
    You see---I am used to being able to at least load a magazine, adjust scopes, reorganize a shooting bag,wear a holstered gun etc. while a range is cold---plus take a smoke break w/o walking to the parking lot. May seem trivial to some folks but not to me. I found 3 clubs within roughly the same driving distance that have self policed ranges, and are well kept by the members. I joined the one I liked best and can shoot the way I like.

As far as cost the fee is annual and it saved me at least $80 this year.

ymmv---Steve

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Dang.. You put the burn on him, didn't you? Fire.. and to be so old..that is great.
    No burn intended. And it is great to be a humble old man. I don't have to worry about a job, I can hunt, fish and shoot seven days a week, get up at the crack of noon, and I don't have to be politicaly correct.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Buzz---I have to agree with you---I am familiar with the whole Atterbury range upgrade from concept to completion and didn't think a vendor could make it from the beginning. I am familiar with the ins and outs of "the gun business" and unless you have good retail sales a range is just a giant headache.
    FWIW----as far as the range itself and shooting there---I quit for two reasons and it has nothing to do with the employee's/RO's.
    The rules, which I personally know were imposed/strongly suggested by the state and not the vendor, and the cost.
    You see---I am used to being able to at least load a magazine, adjust scopes, reorganize a shooting bag,wear a holstered gun etc. while a range is cold---plus take a smoke break w/o walking to the parking lot. May seem trivial to some folks but not to me. I found 3 clubs within roughly the same driving distance that have self policed ranges, and are well kept by the members. I joined the one I liked best and can shoot the way I like.

As far as cost the fee is annual and it saved me at least $80 this year.

ymmv---Steve
    Steve, I agree with what you say but you have to remember that a good portion of the shooters don't have the experience you do. I personaly would not feel very safe if a shooter was at the bench adjusting a scope or moving things around on the bench while I am down range. Like I said in an earlier post it's not just about one person. The object is to keep the whole group safe. If I were in your situation I would do the same thing you are doing. Good luck

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Since there are so many people with an opinion on how it should be ran; put your bid in on it, run it the way you think it should be ran, or quit your whining about it. Me, if the wind isn't to bad I'll be there tomorrow with my dad and be glad to pay the $7 for a clean, safe, and friendly environment.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I can't remember when I've spent more than 2 hours shooting at a range unless it was a match. $12.00 ($7 first hr. and $5 second) for a couple of hours of shooting seems very reasonable to me.

But you have to acount for 40 minutes of cease fire. So really you are paying $12 for for 80 minutes of shooting.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The military will not take over the property. The ground is deeded to the state of Indiana. The rumor of a military takeover has been around for more than 25 years. Once again a lot of people are making a lot out of nothing. The consessionaires contract simply expired and he chose not to renew it. It's that simple. It happens every day. I suspect it will be open on a limited basis in the next week or two. The DNR will probably operate it until they pick a new consessionaire. By spring there should be a new operator in place who will set his own fees. The rules will probably remain the same. The fees and rules were never an issue with the vast majority of shooters.

It may be deeded to the state, however it's still technicaly federal property. Yes they have the right to take control of that land, whenever they choose.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    It may be deeded to the state, however it's still technicaly federal property. Yes they have the right to take control of that land, whenever they choose.
    Just a couple of questions. If they can take it any time they choose why are negotiations going on? If the ground is deeded to the state how can it be federal property? Not wanting to argue with you, just curious.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I believe, not sure, but that it has to do with the P-R and D-J monies that the state has received for the enhancements of the property. And their might be a " no loss " clause that they are trying to work around as well. Hopefully...... :dunno:

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    but that it has to do with the P-R and D-J monies that the state has received for the enhancements of the property. And their might be a " no loss " clause that they are trying to work around as well. Hopefully...... :dunno:
    This is what I understand. The Pittman Robertson Wildlife resatoration Act (Dingal-Johnson has to do with fish) provides funds to the state to acquire property for wildlife restoration. Atterbury and several other properties were acquired with these funds as in bought/were deeded/now own. The army will have to buy what they want from the State of Indiana or use eminent domain to get what they want just like any other govt. entity.

Steve

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I'm not surprised. I used to go to Atterbury every other week for 2-3 years when it was state ran, right before they closed it for renovations. There was an older guy who was RO during the week & I would shoot for the first few hours & then sit & shoot the **** w/ him for an hour or so. It was never busy during the week but packed on the weekends. I never felt unsafe shooting there & everyone watched out for everyone else. When it was state ran there weren't people bringing trash to shoot up & it was clean.

The guy who ran it after the the renovation is a moron & ran the place into the ground. I've talked to State employees in the know & none had anything good to say about how he ran the place and are glad his contract is up.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Not a chance. If you can't read ahd obey a few basic safety rules, you were not missed. The money is secondary.
    I can read and obey.Very interested in safety as i often shoot with my children but i found atterbury drains the fun out of shooting.No problen though i gave a conservation club 150 dollars for a membership. Not a bargain considering how little i get out but the times ive been very safe and fun:cool:

Top Bottom