• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I haven't shot at Atterbury since 2002 or 2003 when it was wild-west. Considered a trip down there last month until i saw the rates and firing schedules. I like to shoot groups and log my targets. There's no way I could get enough shooting in on each volley to make it worth the hourly rate and the drive down there. We used to drive down and shoot a brick of .22 in the morning and then move over to the longer ranges and shoot centerfire till we ran out of rounds - it's just not possible now.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Range closeing & options

:ar15:I stopped going a long time ago because of cost. Why should I pay $7 an hour when my tax dollars and fees I've already paid for the range. As far as High power options go Cental Indana Hipower shooters use the milatary range for matches. Wildcat vally rifle and Pistol club has an EXCELLENT range with about 10 firing points at 100, 200, & 300 yards. they hold a Beginers clinic and advance clinics almost year round, & matches about once a month. They have a "Snow Snake" shoot sometime in Jan. Ther is also a 2 Lane 200yrd range at Crosly F&W near North Vernon, 100, 50,& 25 yrd are also avaliable. I say we start writing Our man Mitch and DNR and get it back under public control & tell them the prices are too high and that caused the decline in shooters! :patriot:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Prediction: It is going to sit and it is going to rot for at least 1 year.

I never went after prices went up, way too expensive for a Father/Daughter day at the Range. Joined Martinsville instead. Even if I use the club twice a year, it pays for itself and I support something that is worthwhile.

Sad part, I did want to check out their skeet range as GF shoots clays now.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Gee... I wonder how closely the decline in the number of shooters is related to the price to shoot there?

Yes indeed. Too bad, I did like the trap range. We'll have to see what happens.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Could it have to do with the way staff interacts with the public? You do have to keep the customers happy!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hopefully, Atterbury will be up again this spring. But, it will probably take a month or two to settle contracts and get things rolling again. I've gone to Atterbury weekly throughout 2009 and it was usually busy while I was there but the current management company could not make a profit. I don't know if the DNR (who owns the site) has high fees for the vendor or what, but I think they were struggling to stay in the black. The rifle side did better than the shotgun side, but I don't think the DNR will split the two.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I went there about a year ago and I was the only person checking in, there were maybe 8 shooters spread out on the range, it took a teenager about 15 minutes to check me in, with all the cold range and boy scout control I recieved maybe 15 minutes of shooting for my hour, I have not returned!

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    They nailed their own coffin shut. Wasted OUR money building a cadillac of a range then expect us to pay exorbitant fees.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What a shame. I remember a long time ago when I didn't mind the 70 mile drive to Atterbury because it was...uh let me remember the cost...

The range at Wilbur Wright is 50 miles. And free.

Then they redid the range at Atterbury, put in a nice rest facility, and charged a couple of bucks for 2 hours. Not bad, I don't mind the $2 for 2 hours because that is a lot of shooting, but worth it for the restrooms.

The range at Wilbur Wright is still free, and 20 miles closer.

The next time I went to Atterbury, they charged me $15 for the 2 hours. And I had to sign for a lane, couldn't shoot one, move to another, shoot there, and move, nope, had to wait.

Wilbur Wright is 50 miles away and still FREE.

Granted Atterbury has pistol lanes and 100 yard lanes, but after a 70 mile drive, and the price of lane time, and a few other minor things, I will not go back unless there is a major change for the better.

Unless they equal the rate not charged at Wilbur Wright, another taxpayer funded range. Actually, Wilbur Wright is funded by hunting and fishing license fees.

I truly hope someone picks up Atterbury and returns it to it's former glory, and can figure out how to make it affordable.

And yes, the cost of ammo can't be helping, but ammo costs me the same whether I shoot it at Atterbury for a cost or Wilbur Wright for...uh... you get it.

Last edited:

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Gee... I wonder how closely the decline in the number of shooters is related to the price to shoot there?

As much as I like the idea of a monitored range... Why can't Atterbury end up like a few of the other un-monitored ranges in the state.

It was, after all, built with state funds.

-J-

No Joke man, It was like a dollar an hour when it first opened then they decided to hike up the price. Haven't been back since!

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    i have shot there every week of 09. missed maybe a couple of weeks because of work. will contiue to go there when they reopen. the range officers have always been friendly and very helpful. had trouble with a ar15 once and one of the ros (phil)and his son(nick) took it apart and fixed the problem for me. their job is to run a safe range and they do it well. the 7.00 dollars an hour to shoot there is a small price to pay for the safety of my son and i. if you go there look up the OLD MAN buzz and dave. very enjoyable guys to talk to as they all are.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been to Atterbury at least once a week for the last year and agree that it's a pretty controlled facility. In some cases, that control is required though, as I've seen some pretty dumb stuff over the last 12 months. Atterbury gets a lot of first time shooters that have no idea what they're doing. One of the last times there, a woman asked one of the range masters if it was Ok to go out and post targets when the range was hot.

I've always been impressed with how the folks down there go out of their way to help new shooters. They get people that don't know how to use their guns, don't know how to shoot and have no idea what the 4 rules are and I've seen them take the time to help them all. The up side is that they help to create better shooters when the newbies are there, but the down side to experienced shooters is a lot more rules than we like or need.

I don't know the answer to finding the right mix and think maybe it's a good idea to start throwing out ideas to improve the range. For one, an improved sign in process would be nice. Possibly something computer based that would not require as much time and hand written login sheets. That would take money but would make it easier on both the folks running the place as well as those patronizing it.

Another idea would be for the new folks running the place to set up more leagues such as bowling pin nights, and other stuff. Again, it would cost money to set up, but if it brought more people in, it could be worth it.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Atterbury is the closest/cheapest range that I currently know of.

It is exciting to think that prices may come down with a new operator. Also the possibility of different rules such as allowing rapid fire/double taps, etc.

It is disconcerting to think that the range may become a less safe place to shoot with more lax RO's.

The thing about Atterbury is that if you follow the posted rules, you wouldn't have a problem with the RO.

The people who complain, more likely than not, got chewed on for one reason or another and took it personally.

Here's to 2010

AJB

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I have been to Atterbury once. The skeet/trap made the trip worth it, but I mostly shoot my pistols and pop gun's is closer. The main issue I had were the crappy hours as I couldn't always go on a weekend.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I live on the SE side of Indy and was looking for a range a year ago. There were three nice outdoor public ranges choices available- all 20-23 miles away. Atterbury was interesting but lost out due to both price and hours

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I finally went to Atterbury a few months ago, first time going since they re-did the place. I don't find the fees horrible, but I think the problem is that the place is a drive for almost anyone, so gas and time also factor into the equation. I think a few factors played into account here:

#1: The owner wasn't happy with the profit margin, revenues, whatever. Did the owner/head guy ever actually _work_ at the range? Did he put in 40 hours, or was this a side business where he needed to pay others to run the place? That is a big mistake. If you want to run a business, in most cases, you need to work the business, at least at the start. It would be nice to actually see the books, but I am not sure if those records would be public or private.

#2: Ammo and gun prices went through the roof. Look at how many gun folks go through guns on almost a monthly, semi-yearly basis. Just look at the classifieds: "I bought this from <username> so many moons ago. Wanting something else now." Well, these people might not have the money they once did to constantly be buying different guns, then going to shoot them. If they shoot a new gun, get bored with it, but can't get another one at the time...that is less shooting done at someone's range.

#3: Economy in general: For the first time in many, many years, our nations savings rate has actually went positive. For years, we had people, in general, spending more than they made. This country had a negative savings rate. Given all the layoffs, people are fearful, thus it wouldn't surprise me if folks are shifting their gun/ammo money to the savings account.

All of these have caused the perfect storm. Maybe there is an easier fix, who knows. My advice to the state: Hire people in at min. wage, part time, to run the range. Charge just enough to cover their wages. Part-time employees should get free use for themselves, and maybe 1/2 for immediate family, 1/4 off for extended family. No health care benefits, no PERF pension plan, just straight min. wage to work the range. Decide what days to open it and do it. Open it on most of the state observed holidays with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Surely there is enough people in the immediate area will to take a part-time job working at a shooting range?

Top Bottom