• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I travel to Louisville usually once a week. Quite often, I would take a toy with me and stop on the way home.

This fall, I stopped three different times only to see the gates shut once with no sign, new hours posted the second time, and the gate closed for no reason the third.

I wondered what was going on.

ak keep the second

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I always felt safe at atturbery and thought it was a decent range, a little high on the price but nothing crazy. I did dislike the rule of no rapid fire, that was annoying to have to wait a second after each shot.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm not surprised or upset that it is closing. I won't pay a lot of money when I can shoot for free elsewhere. I won't shoot where there are excessive and unnecessary rules when I can shoot where there are not. With such a decline in shooters there it seems that many feel the same way that I do.

Sure, safety is a huge concern at any range. However, it should be clear by now that a more relaxed range can work and be completely safe. You just don't see the excessive accidents at less controlled ranges that you would expect if Atterbury type rules are necessary. All they are good for is making sure shooting isn't enjoyable. It is more for fear of liability then true concern over safety.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Sorry you can't get the meaning of this post:rolleyes:
    My point is, range time is a consumable just as ammo is. You can't compare the capital cost of the firearm and the consumable costs of usage. It may only cost someone $12 once a month for range time. The last three times I've been to Atterbury, I was there at least 5 hours each time. That's $25 for me, and $25 for my range buddy. And if it was closer, I would be down there every other week. That adds up. I personally have no problem with the price and agree with the core of your argument: what is $7 per hour when you have a $1600 rifle? But trying to keep comparisons even for everyone, that is just another cost on top of ammunition that can make or break someone's trip to the range.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    My point is, range time is a consumable just as ammo is. You can't compare the capital cost of the firearm and the consumable costs of usage. It may only cost someone $12 once a month for range time. The last three times I've been to Atterbury, I was there at least 5 hours each time. That's $25 for me, and $25 for my range buddy. And if it was closer, I would be down there every other week. That adds up. I personally have no problem with the price and agree with the core of your argument: what is $7 per hour when you have a $1600 rifle? But trying to keep comparisons even for everyone, that is just another cost on top of ammunition that can make or break someone's trip to the range.

Exactly, I never go to the range for less then four hours. Often it is an all day thing with a sack lunch. When I shoot for free it amounts to another two or three boxes of ammo. Regardless, my dislike of Atterbury is based more on the silly rules then the silly expense.

LCPer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will probably get flamed for this comment, but it seems there are a lot of folks posting in this thread that say the $7.00 first hour & $5.00 for each additional hour is an OK fee to pay. Some of these same folks won't even cough up $10.00 a year to help support this forum.
    I am not sure because I find nothing on their website but I have been told that you are not allowed to pick up your own brass. If this is true and the range sells this brass they are collecting an extra fee from each shooter. I for one reload and this affords me the ability to shoot more at a decreased cost per round. If I have to buy new ammo or once fired brass this is more cost to me. If I shoot for 4 hours (say 500 rounds) at a cost of $22.00 per range fee, plus say 10 cents X 500 rounds of brass they now sell, the range has now made $72.00 for my 4 hours of shooting. Not a bad chunk of change wouldn’t you say. My figures may be a bit off but I think you will get my drift. You can let me have it now. :twocents:

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    I am not sure because I find nothing on their website but I have been told that you are not allowed to pick up your own brass.
    I've always collected my brass... As a matter of fact, I was always "encouraged" to pick up my brass.

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    i've been to atterbury a couple of times it's a really nice range and can't be compared to popp's or don's as far as shooting ranges go. if a person has enough money to shoot ammo for 2 hours the 12 dollars seems minimul

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I've never been there so all I had to go on was hearsay. If they let you keep your brass then that is a whole different story. When I shoot I either go to a private range or occasionally to Crosley.
    Shooters were told to police up your own brass and take it with you or put it in the buckets that were provided. Brooms and dust pans were provided.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I was always more then happy to help my fellow shooters pick up their brass and put it in my bag. More brass, more shooting. Its a terrible habbit I have. :): However I do ask first before sweeping their brass my way to make sure they don't reload as well.

Like the previous poster said just mention to the RO your picking up your brass and they won't care. You do this will everyone is still changing their targets out for fresh ones. Helps to not have to pick up as many at a time that way.

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    When you're done shooting your $1600 for the only 2 hours you plan on shooting it, can I have it?
    For you morons who can't understand this post,I'll try to explain it.For the money invested in firearms and ammo,$12.00 for 2 hours shooting time ain't:poop:.
    Some people spend a lot of money for guns and ammo,some don't.How much did you spend on the last movie you went to see or the case of beer you bought? How much did you spend to go the gun shows?
    I think it's funny how some spend big money on guns and then complain about $12.00 to go shoot them for 2 hours,maybe they should find a different hobby:dunno:.

Top Bottom