• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    #1: The owner wasn't happy with the profit margin, revenues, whatever...
    #2: Ammo and gun prices went through the roof....
    #3: Economy in general...

All of these have caused the perfect storm.

Well, there has been a huge rise in the amount of guns and ammo purchased over the last year. I really don't think that #2 or #3 have held back other ranges that I know of. The main range that I go to has has an increase in traffic and is upgrading the facilities using cash-on-hand only. I think it is an Atterbury management problem.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Wife and I will miss it!

This is such a shame! My wife and I shot there quite a few times this year and enjoyed every minute of it. The fees were not out of line for such a well run operation. We would have paid more than that ! As far as the range people are concerned, I found them friendly, helpful, and safety minded. If one of us were corrected by them, we took it in the respectful spirit it was given (and we thanked them for it) Any new operators of this facility will have some large shoes to fill, in my book.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    These guys really thought that by charging more and MORE and MORE that profits would go up?

Great business model.

Hope who ever takes over is competent to run a business and not run it into the ground.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I liked Atterbury as it was the closest place I could go to shoot my rifles. I didn't mind the fee since it was a nice facility and everyone there was very nice. Yes even the RO's were nice, even if I needed to be reminded one time to back away from the table, never made that mistake again but I wasn't where I was suppose to be. :dunno:
    I've been there many times when a group of guys come out with a new rifle or handgun and try to site it in and have no idea where they are shooting. I've seen people just start to walk out to change targets with the range Hot (happend twice last year for me) and have to yell for RO to Cease Fire! I can't imagine what 66 lanes would be like with no RO? You'd never be able to go cold to change your targets. I never went to Atterbury prior to this year but I heard plenty of stories of when it opened and only cost a $1. or $2. :ar15:People shooting the baffles - on purpose - shooting the support collumns - on purpose. I'm sure the operator is required to keep it in the same condition in which he took it over? Rumor has it it cost plenty to replace a few support columns and to patch the baffles. Raising the cost helped drive away many of those shooters. I guess they moved to the free ranges?:D
    Now I'm not sure what it costs to pay DNR or the employees or any other expenses. But 2,000 shooters a month seems like you could create a viable business on that.

Hope its open come spring.:popcorn:

hntrdav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Madison county
    They used state money to upgrade it didn't they? Then they got greedy and thought they could make some money. They wanted to charge for a babysitter instead of letting us police ourselves.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A lot of the people that shoot at Atterbury need policed. I've seen a bunch of idiots there in the last year. People that think its Ok to take a handgun back behind the yellow line and load them there when the range is cold.

Also, I don't begrudge the guy that ran the place from making money off of it. Sure, it was built with state funds, but he is doing the work to run it, hiring the folks to staff it, paying for the insurance for it, not to mention all of the other stuff that needed done. I don't expect him to do that for free. I expect a paycheck when I work and don't think any less of him for doing the same.

Hopefully, it opens again soon.

mskitty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I went there once. I found everyone very friendly and helpful. I under the cost prohibits some from wanting to shoot there, but overall it seemed like a great place to practice.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Design Flaws

:ar15:I think another thing that contributied to the demise was the Design of the range. While as a whole the range is excellent, It did have it's draw backs. Each range should have been Seperated. Especially the 100 yrd where most rifle shooters go. And unless you have a spotting scope, many rifle shooter shoot in smaller groups of 3-10 rnds at a time when getting their Zero. And then go check the target. Thats a real Pain in the butt when you have to wait for the whole range to cease fire. I hated it when I tried my AR 15 out for the first time! :patriot: One suggestion for whoever takes ove that range. One way to take the "MORON" factor out of it would be to make every one take a range saftey class and charge like $50.00 then your fees per hour would be less. and you can't shoot unless you've taken the course or your fees would be really high. Maybe that keep Idiots from shooting the supports & baffles. If I could shoot for $4 or 5 and hour after getting a "membership" I'd go again. Plus make it a BYOT just put some PVC pipe in the ground at the end of the ranges for you to put you own targets. I heard that was one thing that caused fees to go up. I'd also volunteer as an RO If it would give me some free time on ther range and keep prices down!

Last edited:

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I am so sorry to hear this. I have to agree with some of the posters saying that the long range cold times are often due to inexperienced shooters that need to be instructed on range safety. Phil, Nick and Buzz are very safety conscious and I appreciate that very much.

Regarding the cost, they offered memberships for $125 when I started going there. These memberships allowed unlimited shooting for 1 year, which was a heck of a bargain. I used this until I built a range in the backyard.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    What a shame. I remember a long time ago when I didn't mind the 70 mile drive to Atterbury because it was...uh let me remember the cost...

The range at Wilbur Wright is 50 miles. And free.

Then they redid the range at Atterbury, put in a nice rest facility, and charged a couple of bucks for 2 hours. Not bad, I don't mind the $2 for 2 hours because that is a lot of shooting, but worth it for the restrooms.

The range at Wilbur Wright is still free, and 20 miles closer.

The next time I went to Atterbury, they charged me $15 for the 2 hours. And I had to sign for a lane, couldn't shoot one, move to another, shoot there, and move, nope, had to wait.

Wilbur Wright is 50 miles away and still FREE.

Granted Atterbury has pistol lanes and 100 yard lanes, but after a 70 mile drive, and the price of lane time, and a few other minor things, I will not go back unless there is a major change for the better.

Unless they equal the rate not charged at Wilbur Wright, another taxpayer funded range. Actually, Wilbur Wright is funded by hunting and fishing license fees.

I truly hope someone picks up Atterbury and returns it to it's former glory, and can figure out how to make it affordable.

And yes, the cost of ammo can't be helping, but ammo costs me the same whether I shoot it at Atterbury for a cost or Wilbur Wright for...uh... you get it.
    yep this is the reason I choose Wilbur Wright over Atterbury. You tell me how nice it is, but WW serves my purpose and it's free and generally less crowded.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    i have shot there every week of 09. missed maybe a couple of weeks because of work. will contiue to go there when they reopen. the range officers have always been friendly and very helpful. had trouble with a ar15 once and one of the ros (phil)and his son(nick) took it apart and fixed the problem for me. their job is to run a safe range and they do it well. the 7.00 dollars an hour to shoot there is a small price to pay for the safety of my son and i. if you go there look up the OLD MAN buzz and dave. very enjoyable guys to talk to as they all are.
    I may be a little older than you but I am a lot better looking. You and your family have a MERRY CHRISTMAS

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Gee... I wonder how closely the decline in the number of shooters is related to the price to shoot there?

As much as I like the idea of a monitored range... Why can't Atterbury end up like a few of the other un-monitored ranges in the state.

It was, after all, built with state funds.

-J-
    That's the way it used to be and it was pretty awsome, but after the renovation some politician decided that if they started charging people they could make a wad of money. Sorry for their luck. I live in Johnson County and have been one time since the new one has opened.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I can't remember when I've spent more than 2 hours shooting at a range unless it was a match. $12.00 ($7 first hr. and $5 second) for a couple of hours of shooting seems very reasonable to me.
    :yesway:...what he said. It was a very nice range, $12 for 2 hours is nothing. Much cheaper than many of the indoor pistol ranges. I only went once and didnt experience any problems from any management or RO's, except for being told to slow down my shots on the rifle range.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    That's the way it used to be and it was pretty awsome, but after the renovation some politician decided that if they started charging people they could make a wad of money. Sorry for their luck. I live in Johnson County and have been one time since the new one has opened.
    Very few complaints were received about the rates or the way the range was run. Most people like a safe place to shoot. The same people that complained about paying 12 bucks to shoot for two hours don't mind spending 5 or 6 bucks for a pack of smokes. Don't know what politician you were talking about but the concessionaire set the prices at Atterbury.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    They used state money to upgrade it didn't they? Then they got greedy and thought they could make some money. They wanted to charge for a babysitter instead of letting us police ourselves.
    You must shoot with a different breed of shooters than some of the people I see at the range every day. I can't imagine the state giving you or anyone else a 4.7 million dollar range and saying go have a good time and be good boys and girls and clean up after yourself. IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. We baby sitters were there for a reason.

ajb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    The range at Kingsbury F & W area was also remodeled and the price is only $4.00 a day. I can't imagine spending $12.00 for 2 hours....

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    I made the long trip down there twice this year for the 100 yard lanes. The price wasnt to bad for 2 hours. The rebar target holders were to small. It needed to be twice its height. Paying a dollar for push pins is lame also. They should be supplying the tape to hold the targets on the backer board. The young kid that checked me out needs to learn how to calculate using military time he tried to over charge me. I guess Ben Avery in Phoenix has spoiled me.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    You must shoot with a different breed of shooters than some of the people I see at the range every day. I can't imagine the state giving you or anyone else a 4.7 million dollar range and saying go have a good time and be good boys and girls and clean up after yourself. IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN. We baby sitters were there for a reason.
    Is there a reason that Atterbury is different than the other ranges in Indiana that merely require an annual membership?
    No ROs and members clean up after themselves.

@Raider
    Ben Avery will do that. Very nice range.

Top Bottom