• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Is there a reason that Atterbury is different than the other ranges in Indiana that merely require an annual membership?
    No ROs and members clean up after themselves.

@Raider
    Ben Avery will do that. Very nice range.
    before the remodel i shot at atterbury 2 sometimes 3 days a week. people would not clean up after themselves. they would bring tvs-microwaves-computers-even fridges to shoot up and leave them there. it is a wonder the state spent 4.7 million to remodel it and not close it down.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Thats a shame to hear that its closing.I was doing some sub work for South Central Roofing and put most of the shingled roofs on at that range.I never got the opportunity to shoot there but it certainly was a sharp looking place when it was new.

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    atterbury sucks

i left state for 9 years went to shoot there and hated it i liked the old range much better im for safety but i dont need nazi control of my shooting i have since bought a membership and will never go back to atterbury unless they bulldoze the range office building down

clydesdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Is there a reason that Atterbury is different than the other ranges in Indiana that merely require an annual membership?
    No ROs and members clean up after themselves.

@Raider
    Ben Avery will do that. Very nice range.
    +2 for ben avery best range i have ever been to miss it very much funny such a nice range in a place where it is very easy to find a good place to shoot

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    i left state for 9 years went to shoot there and hated it i liked the old range much better im for safety but i dont need nazi control of my shooting i have since bought a membership and will never go back to atterbury unless they bulldoze the range office building down
    You certainly weren't missed. You special people just don't understand that it is not just about you.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honestly I'm not suprised. They started jacking up the price. I could go to Ceraland, and shoot all day for $3.00. Not the nicest, but it's cheap.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    no suprise to me, i posted a thread like this a while back. just wait public hunting ground is next to go in 2012. atterbury is expanding and becoming a full active base.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Something else about the decline in shooters:

Ammo prices.

I know for a fact that I've not shot as much in the last 18 months as I did the prior 2-3 years.

Also, just like a company that has a high employee turnover: examine the management.

-J-

I know ammo prices have made a significant dent in my range time. I hardly shot in 2009, just a few times vice at least every month.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    During the warm months I go once a week with my Dad. I was not going to pay that much to shoot. Like I said $3.00 at Ceraland for as long as you want. The DNR should have kept it. Things where fine when they starting having RO's there. But like everything else they had to ruin it. Now I guarantee that the Military will take it over. They invested the bigest amount of into it. They can take control of that property at anytime they please.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    My opinion, the prices have been in line with the quality of the facility. Buzz, Nick, Nathan, and Phil have been great every time we've been down there. My wife (not yet a shooter but interested enough to stand behind me at the line) felt safe because of the oversight these guys provide. Whatever they're getting paid, they're earning it. There hasn't been a time I've been down there that they haven't had to correct at least one person's unsafe behavior.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    no suprise to me, i posted a thread like this a while back. just wait public hunting ground is next to go in 2012. atterbury is expanding and becoming a full active base.
    The military will not take over the property. The ground is deeded to the state of Indiana. The rumor of a military takeover has been around for more than 25 years. Once again a lot of people are making a lot out of nothing. The consessionaires contract simply expired and he chose not to renew it. It's that simple. It happens every day. I suspect it will be open on a limited basis in the next week or two. The DNR will probably operate it until they pick a new consessionaire. By spring there should be a new operator in place who will set his own fees. The rules will probably remain the same. The fees and rules were never an issue with the vast majority of shooters.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The consessionaires contract simply expired and he chose not to renew it. It's that simple. It happens every day.

Maybe you can fill us in on some things:
    Who was the concessionaire? Was this this a company ran by one individual, or multiple individuals? Was the individual(s) active in running this aspect of their business? Were the owner(s) believing they were going to have a set income stream, and when that didn't materialize, or reduced, they were still making money, but not enough?

The reason I ask is because if one concessionaire can't make it, why would we think another can? Unless the former concessionaire was greedy and the range was making money, just not enough to the owner(s) liking. DNR just needs to staff it with part-timers if you ask me. Unless the former management company was either greedy and/or incompetent, I don't see privatization working.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    The military will not take over the property. The ground is deeded to the state of Indiana. The rumor of a military takeover has been around for more than 25 years. Once again a lot of people are making a lot out of nothing. The consessionaires contract simply expired and he chose not to renew it. It's that simple. It happens every day. I suspect it will be open on a limited basis in the next week or two. The DNR will probably operate it until they pick a new consessionaire. By spring there should be a new operator in place who will set his own fees. The rules will probably remain the same. The fees and rules were never an issue with the vast majority of shooters.

In fact, the Military, State of Indiana and the IDNR have been in negotiations for the last 4-5 yrs, seriously for the last 2 yrs, on the Military taking back a sizable piece of Atterbury F&W area for an addition to the Camp.

bly48

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    This morning's (12/22) edition of the Daily Journal reports that Atterbury public shooting range will be closing at the end of the year. The manager, Ron Mason, said there was a decline of 30 - 40% of shooters using the facility this year. The DNR received proposals from private companies interested in operating the range, but it will not be open by January 1st.

Anytime I went, it was never crowded but busy. I wonder how long it will stay closed. :dunno:

I think it closed because there are lots of other ranges within driving distances that are much cheaper.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    In fact, the Military, State of Indiana and the IDNR have been in negotiations for the last 4-5 yrs, seriously for the last 2 yrs, on the Military taking back a sizable piece of Atterbury F&W area for an addition to the Camp.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I was refering to the range itself. You are right. There have been negotiations for the last several years.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Maybe you can fill us in on some things:
    Who was the concessionaire? Was this this a company ran by one individual, or multiple individuals? Was the individual(s) active in running this aspect of their business? Were the owner(s) believing they were going to have a set income stream, and when that didn't materialize, or reduced, they were still making money, but not enough?

The reason I ask is because if one concessionaire can't make it, why would we think another can? Unless the former concessionaire was greedy and the range was making money, just not enough to the owner(s) liking. DNR just needs to staff it with part-timers if you ask me. Unless the former management company was either greedy and/or incompetent, I don't see privatization working.
    Will try to answer your questions. Ron Mason was the concessionaire. He was the lone operater as far as I know. Ron ran all aspects of the business. Some things needed DNR approval. Your deduction may be correct, privatization may not work.

Top Bottom