Anyone get iOS 7 installed successfully?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Been using it since b1 (which was really awful) and the performance is better than iOS 6 on our devices. Functionality is outstanding, much better than iOS 6. And having auto-updating of apps is great for our clients (and my family)

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Purple? No. My iMac kept saying no updates last night. NOw this morning, it updated iTunes right away. I did the iOS upgrade directly on my iPad without using my computer last night. So all is good here. I actually do like the new iOS graphics. Very slick looking IMO.

Meh, I think they look terrible. I have noticed the battery life isn't as good (iphone4s) as it was. I am sure I will find something I like about the OS. When I do I will report back here. :)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Well, crap.

I thought I had canceled the download, but apparently not. When I returned to my office I discovered that ... I HAVE BEEN ASSIMILATED. :n00b:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I now have iOS 7 on all three of my iOS devices with three distinctly different degrees of difficulty.

iPad 2 = cake. No iTunes required, easy upgrade.

My 4s = required factory restore through iTunes to remove jailbreak and then upgrade through iTunes and restored through iCloud.

My wife's 4s = This one proved to be the biggest problem. Apparently the new iOS performs a hardware check before it will activate. After downloading iOS 7, this phone became stuck in "recovery mode" (connect to iTunes screen) and would not restore. It would begin the restore process and then stop and present "This iPhone cannot be restored, an unknown error occurred (29)" Well, code 29 turns out to be "incorrect/non-OEM battery". A few months ago I replaced the battery in this device because it was having intermittent charging issues. I replaced it with a cheaper one from Amazon and it has worked fine, but apparently iOS 7 knows it's not a legit Apple battery. I had to put the old battery in and let it charge enough to complete the upgrade and then change it out again.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    My wife's 4s = This one proved to be the biggest problem. Apparently the new iOS performs a hardware check before it will activate. After downloading iOS 7, this phone became stuck in "recovery mode" (connect to iTunes screen) and would not restore. It would begin the restore process and then stop and present "This iPhone cannot be restored, an unknown error occurred (29)" Well, code 29 turns out to be "incorrect/non-OEM battery". A few months ago I replaced the battery in this device because it was having intermittent charging issues. I replaced it with a cheaper one from Amazon and it has worked fine, but apparently iOS 7 knows it's not a legit Apple battery. I had to put the old battery in and let it charge enough to complete the upgrade and then change it out again.

Did you have to get on your knees and beg forgiveness for purchasing a reasonably-priced battery?

I hear Siri gets off on that.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    No prob on ipad 2. Started the process, left for lunch, came back it was done. iPhone on the other hand needs to have some memory freed before I can begin.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I had initially the same issue trying to get my 4S updated-- the update would download, but verification was "not available." I restarted my phone and magically it worked.

BTW-- always do these updates OTA, not through Itunes.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    As an IT pro, my recommendation? WAIT!

We got bit HARD by a bug in 6.0.1. Our mail provider wanted to turn off access to the iDevices altogether it was so bad. (it was filling their logs due to a glitch) We now have a corporate policy that no iDevice update gets applied until a 60 day cooling off period. After that if there are no major issues we allow the update.

Let it settle out. Let the bold test it out for the rest of us. in about 90 days they should know whether there are any issues and have them fixed with 7.0.x.

This is really good advice. I installed it to my iPad2 yesterday. Installed successfully on the 2nd try. But I can't see ANY benefit. Granted, with the iPad2, there are way fewer benefits than with newer stuff. It's ugly retro look is a HUGE step backward, IMO.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I wouldn't own another Android unless it was for the kids to kill and was free.

181xpfur4tamogif.gif

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I've been running ios 7 since Beta 3. Took some getting used to but I couldn't imagine going back now. The auto app updating is awesome. The new window browser thing for Safari is so much better than it used to be. Not a huge fan of the graphics themselves, but I can deal with it.

BUT, on the other hand, Apple really needs to step up their game. iPhone 5S looks to be a huge disappointment. I'm locked in my contract for another year but wouldn't have gotten in even if I could. iPhone 6 better impress or I'll be off the bandwagon (which I've been on since the beginning).

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Is there a way to revert back to the old iOS? I am not digging this new version. The jury is still out on whether I like it or not.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Updated my 4S, iPad2 yesterday. Did the wife's 5 tonight. No problems what so ever. Running great! I'm okay with the new look. There's an awful lot of white everywhere. This much white is not really my style but livable.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Is there a way to revert back to the old iOS?

It's possible, but it certainly isn't easy. And that's coming from someone who has hacked/jail broken every iphone since the 3 and had them completely apart down to the logic board tray many times.

Ah, well there you go. That's certainly easier than it has been in the past, but not being able to restore from backup would be a deal breaker for me. Fortunately, I'm liking iOS 7 more the more I use it.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Currently downloading the upgrade. Initially it told me it would take 102 hours. It has slowly whittled it down to an amazing 9 hours. I think I should have waited until I got back to the States. Transfer speeds in Ranchi, Jharkhand, India are not quite as fast as in the Fort, or even Seattle, my next stateside port of call.

Top Bottom