Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Really? I would bet a lot of people know who lives in the houses around them, but could not come up with the actual addresses of them.

There was a long list of duties for Zimmerman posted in this thread. I think many would consider several of those things to be intrusive.

I've lived in my new house for 18 months. There are 4 houses on my 1 mile road. There is a husband and wife with no children accros the road. I don't really know where either one works or at what times. I've talked to them about 5 times since I started building over 2 years ago. The other 2 houses are at the end of the road and owned by 2 sisters. I'm not sure if either is married, have live ins or what. I think they both may have out of school age children living at home although I have no idea how many kids they have or what gender. I have not talked to any of them although I have talked to their dad a few times. This is less than 2 miles from where I spent the first 18 years of my life. If my neighbors want me to know more intimate details about their lives, they know where my front door is and they can tell me. Otherwise, I mind my own business.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    There was a long list of duties for Zimmerman posted in this thread. I think many would consider several of those things to be intrusive.

Then don't live there. Simple enough. The neighborhood asked for his help, he provided it. You wouldn't. We get it. Youdon't like people helping other people and looking out for one another, got it. The rest of the world DOES like that and so we do it.

I got a call from the farmer/fire chief/ neighbor (2 miles away) one morning because the garage door didn't close and was open. He knew we were both at work and asked if I wanted him to close it for us. We're rural, cops are a minimum 10 minutes away on any call. We have to look out for one another and we do. It's what a COMMUNITY does. Obviously you aren't comfortable with people, so you should not live in a community. Maybe a bunker would better suit your needs.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm more than willing to help my neighbors if they ask. I just don't feel the need to be up in their business. My willingness to protect their stuff is directly proportional to their willingness to donate to my legal defense fund. How much have any of you donated to zimmerman?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm more than willing to help my neighbors if they ask. I just don't feel the need to be up in their business. My willingness to protect their stuff is directly proportional to their willingness to donate to my legal defense fund. How much have any of you donated to zimmerman?

Does he help protect our neighborhood? Then how much we donatated to someone 1200 miles away has no bearing in this discussion.

Calling your neighbor when you know they are at work (because you've stopped and chatted and have shown some interest in them, and they with you) and their garage door is open, or a strange car is in your driveway is not exactly "up in their business". Not exactly going to need a "defense fund" for making a phone call. But then again I'm not pathelogically paranoid of everyone and everything like some here.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Does he help protect our neighborhood? Then how much we donatated to someone 1200 miles away has no bearing in this discussion.

Calling your neighbor when you know they are at work (because you've stopped and chatted and have shown some interest in them, and they with you) and their garage door is open, or a strange car is in your driveway is not exactly "up in their business". Not exactly going to need a "defense fund" for making a phone call. But then again I'm not pathelogically paranoid of everyone and everything like some here.

I won't get involved ala Zimmerman unless there is a chance someone's life is in danger. I won't get involved in petty crap because I know talk is cheap and people won't put their money where there mouth is when I'm risking my livelihood over petty theft.

My one neighbor leaves her garage door up almost 24/7. Should I stop and ask her what her door closing schedule is?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I won't get involved ala Zimmerman unless there is a chance someone's life is in danger. I won't get involved in petty crap because I know talk is cheap and people won't put their money where there mouth is when I'm risking my livelihood over petty theft.

My one neighbor leaves her garage door up almost 24/7. Should I stop and ask her what her door closing schedule is?

Now you're just being a ****ing dick. Our Garage door is always closed, unless I am physically out there working. Anyone in the area would notice the door open on a weekday and no one around. Doesn't require "asking for a door closing schedule".

If you can't have a dedcent conversation without being a dick about it, then close the browser.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I found this kind of interesting. Number of posts in this thread for the top ten. Over 10% is pretty impressive.

Who Posted?
    Total Posts: 3,135
    User Name Posts
    hornadylnl 339
    griffin 286
    CarmelHP 180
    Kutnupe14 179
    Fargo 106
    bobzilla 95
    churchmouse 82
    Bunnykid68 82
    Expat 80
    KG1 77

Please let me know when I hit 30,000 posts in this thread so I can create a thread bragging about it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Now you're just being a ****ing dick. Our Garage door is always closed, unless I am physically out there working. Anyone in the area would notice the door open on a weekday and no one around. Doesn't require "asking for a door closing schedule".

If you can't have a dedcent conversation without being a dick about it, then close the browser.

This forum has a nice little feature called the ignore button.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Sadly I thought you could carry on a polite conversation with differing opinions. Apparently I was wrong and you are not.

This is polite conversation?

The point of my post is that I don't know what my neighbors business is. They are no more responsible for the well being of my property than I am of theirs. If I leave my garage door opened and get robbed, that's on me. I'm not going to go complaining to my neighbors if they don't call me to let me know.

I don't subscribe to the "It takes a village to run a household" philosophy. From reading several of the linked articles, not everyone in Zimmerman's neighborhood did either as there were various complaints about his watching.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We know, you hate people. You hate police. You hate people watching out for others. You've made that quite clear. The rest of us don't feel that way. Does that mean I'm going to go get into a shootout to stop someone from stealing my neighbors TV? Hell no. But I will be a good witness, and I will make the call to 911. Anyone that wouldn't shouldn't be in society.

As for the polite, I had been polite. Up until that last one of yours. I used an example of something that we have run into and you turn that into a snotty "I'm not going to get her door closed schedule" comment. There was no need. You going to tell me that you wouldn't notice when a neighbor's door, that is closed 95% of the time is left wide open? If that is the case, then you are definately not situationally aware of your surroundings. Or maybe you wouldn't notice a car with out of county plates sitting at one of your neighor's house when you know they are at work? A car that's never been there before? So that if it comes up that something happens you can let them know what you saw?

If you don't notice the simple things, you're going to miss the bigthings every time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have mentioned these things up thread. Living in the city (middle of nuttville) you are SA at all times. Not to the point of madness but we all look out for each other. Several retired folks and such around us. They call my cell if something goes bump in the night. My son and I respond no questions asked. When seconds matter, the LEO are 20 minutes out. This does not happen a lot but we do watch out for them.....period. I was called out for that up thread......KMA, I will continue to be SA as will the rest of my family.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We know, you hate people. You hate police. You hate people watching out for others. You've made that quite clear. The rest of us don't feel that way. Does that mean I'm going to go get into a shootout to stop someone from stealing my neighbors TV? Hell no. But I will be a good witness, and I will make the call to 911. Anyone that wouldn't shouldn't be in society.

As for the polite, I had been polite. Up until that last one of yours. I used an example of something that we have run into and you turn that into a snotty "I'm not going to get her door closed schedule" comment. There was no need. You going to tell me that you wouldn't notice when a neighbor's door, that is closed 95% of the time is left wide open? If that is the case, then you are definately not situationally aware of your surroundings. Or maybe you wouldn't notice a car with out of county plates sitting at one of your neighor's house when you know they are at work? A car that's never been there before? So that if it comes up that something happens you can let them know what you saw?

If you don't notice the simple things, you're going to miss the bigthings every time.

Yep, you've been nothing but cordial to me and anyone who's opinion has differed from yours in this thread. :laugh:

I just stepped out my garage door and checked my neighbor's driveway and here's what I saw.

587b8b91.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom