• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have mentioned these things up thread. Living in the city (middle of nuttville) you are SA at all times. Not to the point of madness but we all look out for each other. Several retired folks and such around us. They call my cell if something goes bump in the night. My son and I respond no questions asked. When seconds matter, the LEO are 20 minutes out. This does not happen a lot but we do watch out for them.....period. I was called out for that up thread......KMA, I will continue to be SA as will the rest of my family.

There's nothing wrong with situational awareness.

My grandpa's house has been unoccupied for about 3 months now and his friends and neighbors know it. I was there mowing the other day and I saw a truck pull up slowly, turn around in the driveway and pulled up to the yard by where I was mowing. I know full well he was there checking up on what was going on. I'm sure he only saw the big cargo trailer parked in the driveway and wondered what was going on. But he didn't come rolling up on me cursing out a 911 operator about how punks like me always get away either.

If I'm checking up on someone to see what's going on, it's not likely you're going to know what my intent is. I'll be ready but I'm not going in guns ablazin. I don't know who my neighbors friends are, what vehicles they drive or when they're expecting company. I have no business going on their property asking questions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand... here's my neighbor:

clouds.JPG

As this is a gun owners forum, looks like you have a couple hundred yards at your disposal out there. HHHmmmm, I was just wondering.............:rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's nothing wrong with situational awareness.

My grandpa's house has been unoccupied for about 3 months now and his friends and neighbors know it. I was there mowing the other day and I saw a truck pull up slowly, turn around in the driveway and pulled up to the yard by where I was mowing. I know full well he was there checking up on what was going on. I'm sure he only saw the big cargo trailer parked in the driveway and wondered what was going on. But he didn't come rolling up on me cursing out a 911 operator about how punks like me always get away either.

If I'm checking up on someone to see what's going on, it's not likely you're going to know what my intent is. I'll be ready but I'm not going in guns ablazin. I don't know who my neighbors friends are, what vehicles they drive or when they're expecting company. I have no business going on their property asking questions.

No jam from me, that is one way to look at the world. There are several other ways. You know mine. I would take a pic of my drive but it is not nearly as picturesque.
    Anyway, I am busy trying to get bobzilla to set up a shoot. This is a gun forum you know...............................:draw:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have mentioned these things up thread. Living in the city (middle of nuttville) you are SA at all times. Not to the point of madness but we all look out for each other. Several retired folks and such around us. They call my cell if something goes bump in the night. My son and I respond no questions asked. When seconds matter, the LEO are 20 minutes out. This does not happen a lot but we do watch out for them.....period. I was called out for that up thread......KMA, I will continue to be SA as will the rest of my family.

that is how a community is supposed to work.Not the whole "screw you I ain't helping you"

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    As this is a gun owners forum, looks like you have a couple hundred yards at your disposal out there. HHHmmmm, I was just wondering.............:rockwoot:
    uNFORTUNATELY it's so friggin flat it's not funny. I'd need to dig a decent ditch and build a berm to do much shooting here. My property is only 2 acres (where the green ends), so there's not a whole lot of room.

I tend to go to dad's place to use the rifle. He has a little ovver 10 acres and it's hilly enough to provide decent backstops.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I am soooo glad you posted that. Because Z was asked. BOOM. HEADSHOT!

Apparantly some had issues with his methods. If he came around asking my business, I'd tell him where to go. You have also seen where the linked articles state that there was no evidence that Martin commited a crime, right?

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I am soooo glad you posted that. Because Z was asked. BOOM. HEADSHOT!

Yes he was.

I understand where Hornadylnl is coming from in a way, i lived out in the middle of nowhere when i lived i Texas and would not appreciate people stopping in to "check on" me. That being said though i grew up in that area so i did know everyone. If there was a brush fire we all helped, if cows were out we all helped, we expected it. We also didn't butt into each others business, but I have put my neighbors cows back in his pasture and fixed his fence even though he was 50 miles or more away, multiple times. If i saw someone on their property i would most likely not say anything to them, but the property owner would be called and told about it. That is just how it worked in our part of the world.

There is definitely a different mind set living in the country and living in the city, one that those doing the opposite don't understand completely.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Apparantly some had issues with his methods. If he came around asking my business, I'd tell him where to go. You have also seen where the linked articles state that there was no evidence that Martin commited a crime, right?

Actually, that is not true. He did commit a crime. He smoked an illegal substance.

Z never claimed that he committed a crime, merely that he was actin suspicious. If he was high, he was likely looking in windows for an open back of cheetos.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes he was.

I understand where Hornadylnl is coming from in a way, i lived out in the middle of nowhere when i lived i Texas and would not appreciate people stopping in to "check on" me. That being said though i grew up in that area so i did know everyone. If there was a brush fire we all helped, if cows were out we all helped, we expected it. We also didn't butt into each others business, but I have put my neighbors cows back in his pasture and fixed his fence even though he was 50 miles or more away, multiple times. If i saw someone on their property i would most likely not say anything to them, but the property owner would be called and told about it. That is just how it worked in our part of the world.

There is definitely a different mind set living in the country and living in the city, one that those doing the opposite don't understand completely.

That's been my point all along. But no, I have to be a coward who runs to my basement. There's a diffence in being observant and being a Blackwater operator out to save my neighborhood from destruction.

The investigators are quoted as saying if he'd have stayed in his truck, Martin would be alive. They have been quoted as saying there was no evidence that Martin had commited a crime. They also wanted to charge him initially. I'd say those are pretty big indicators that Zimmerman overstepped his bounds.

If you take everything out that happened prior to the first attempt at physical contact, I'd say without a doubt that Zimmerman was justified (provided Martin initiated the physical contact or he did not have just cause to feel threatened to the point force was necessary) in shooting Martin to defend himself. Even with all the current evidence we have about the entire event, I don't think there's any evidence to convict Zimmerman. The question in my mind is how culpable is Zimmerman for the events that took place.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Actually, that is not true. He did commit a crime. He smoked an illegal substance.

Z never claimed that he committed a crime, merely that he was actin suspicious. If he was high, he was likely looking in windows for an open back of cheetos.

Zimmerman's knowledge of the crime Martin committed by smoking an illegal substance is him acting like he was high on something. An article stated that there wasn't enough THC in his system to affect him.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Zimmerman's knowledge of the crime Martin committed by smoking an illegal substance is him acting like he was high on something. An article stated that there wasn't enough THC in his system to affect him.

Depends on which article you read. You stated MArtin had not committed a crime, which was incorrect. He HAD committed a crime. Period.

Z never claimed that M committed a crime. He merely suggested he looked suspicious in an area that had recent breakins by SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE. No where did he say that M committed any crime, before, or after. Not in the 911 tapes either.

So where you're going with this line is silly because it has no bearing on the topic what so ever.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

"An article stated," by someone who neither observed nor examined him. THC can have a range of effects and different effects at different concentrations. We don't know how or if it affected Martin except by Zimmerman's observations. The press seeks and cherry picks quotes it likes. "An article stated," Zimmerman didn't have a broken nose. "An article stated," Zimmerman had no head wounds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    uNFORTUNATELY it's so friggin flat it's not funny. I'd need to dig a decent ditch and build a berm to do much shooting here. My property is only 2 acres (where the green ends), so there's not a whole lot of room.

I tend to go to dad's place to use the rifle. He has a little ovver 10 acres and it's hilly enough to provide decent backstops.

Just poking at you.

A little bumpy there with the thread count comment EEHHH...............:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom