Will Chuck Pagano have job Monday morning?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think Irsay should get both of them in his office and say, "Ok boys, I'm going to leave. You both stay here and figure this out. Here's my only requirement: both of you get the same treatment. You can either decide to stay together another year, or both leave now. Up to you. Come get me when you're done."

I think there were too many things that went sideways this year. Probably both of their faults, so they should both rise or fall together, whether they like it or not.

Pagano probably is a mediocre-or-slightly-better-than-that NFL coach. But, I don't see anyone better out there. Including Saban.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Pagano is average at best. There were too many times this season the team looked completely unprepared and outcoached. Grigson however should be thrown from the top of Lucas Oil for his efforts in failing miserably in providing the team with quality starters and backups. Both the offensive and defensive lines leak like broken dams, our DBs are soft, WRs are over rated, and Frank Gore is not a long term answer at RB. Not to mention his drafts....Richardson trade, Werner, Dorsett....He would be fortunate to only be fired if I were Irsay.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just tagging to see what others have to say, when the eventual news comes out. I don't think Pagano is anything more than mediocre as a head coach. As a DC he's great. As a person and as a motivator, he's phenomenal. But he hasn't shown me that he's a top-tier head coach. That said, as long as Grigson goes, I can live with Pagano.

I think they both should go, though.

And the worst of all worlds is the one in which Pagano goes, but Grigson stays.

And, here's an alternate voice (and one that I trust, and generally agree with):

Eyes In the Backfield: Pagano and Grigson Edition | Colts Authority

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Cincy did/is doing well under him, but... a former Raiders head coach? That's tough to get my brain around. ;) I mean, Mike Singletary is probably still available, too. :D

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Cincy did/is doing well under him, but... a former Raiders head coach? That's tough to get my brain around. ;) I mean, Mike Singletary is probably still available, too. :D

*cough* Bill Belichick *cough*

Everybody has to start somewhere. Some of the best, stumbled the first time out of the gate.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Pagano is average at best. There were too many times this season the team looked completely unprepared and outcoached. Grigson however should be thrown from the top of Lucas Oil for his efforts in failing miserably in providing the team with quality starters and backups. Both the offensive and defensive lines leak like broken dams, our DBs are soft, WRs are over rated, and Frank Gore is not a long term answer at RB. Not to mention his drafts....Richardson trade, Werner, Dorsett....He would be fortunate to only be fired if I were Irsay.

Unprepared should fall on the O and D coordinators. Pagano is ultimately responsible but the coordinators aren't cutting it.
    Maybe just 2 or 3 healthy first string bodies might have made a hellova difference in the outcome this year but Indy isn't the only team that got beat up.
    The mighty Patriots look fairly average as well. They too have been bitten by the injury gremlins.
    Cam Chancellor got healthy for Seattle. They've been on a tear since.
    It doesn't take a lot to dismantle the best laid plans of mice and men. This year that "Murphy" guy reared his ugly head.
    Heads will roll....deserving or not.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks like the decision has been postponed until tomorrow (at least) according to what I'm seeing on WTHR. I hope that's a positive thing for Pagano. I think Grigson is the one that needs to go. Wasn't he a former lineman himself? From all I've seen, he wouldn't know a lineman (offensive or defensive) if one smacked that smug look off his face.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Unprepared should fall on the O and D coordinators. Pagano is ultimately responsible but the coordinators aren't cutting it.
    Maybe just 2 or 3 healthy first string bodies might have made a hellova difference in the outcome this year but Indy isn't the only team that got beat up.
    The mighty Patriots look fairly average as well. They too have been bitten by the injury gremlins.
    Cam Chancellor got healthy for Seattle. They've been on a tear since.
    It doesn't take a lot to dismantle the best laid plans of mice and men. This year that "Murphy" guy reared his ugly head.
    Heads will roll....deserving or not.

Good points. But going with the fact that a lot of teams have been banged up, Pats included, and still continued to come out and be prepared to play does show the strengths of those coaching staffs. The Colts have absolutely lost games where they were just out played, or where the other teams had much more talent. But we lost a handful of games this year where we were clearly unprepared for the game or for wrinkles along the way, and made some mistakes that are just not acceptable at the professional level.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Looks like the decision has been postponed until tomorrow (at least) according to what I'm seeing on WTHR. I hope that's a positive thing for Pagano. I think Grigson is the one that needs to go. Wasn't he a former lineman himself? From all I've seen, he wouldn't know a lineman (offensive or defensive) if one smacked that smug look off his face.

bingo.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    All teams are beat up. Green Bay lost their #1 receiver before the season started. Carolina is without their #1 receiver and back. Denver lost Peyton for weeks. Arizona is down to their 3rd string back. Seattle is down to their 3rd string RB too. Cincy lost Dalton. KC is missing couple key defensive guys. New England lost their RB, #1 and #2 receivers, and Gronk missed couple weeks. We lost one main player (Luck), but the truth is we weren't playing well with him. Other teams won with more injuries to main players than the Colts. We are not a championship caliber team.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    All teams are beat up. Green Bay lost their #1 receiver before the season started. Carolina is without their #1 receiver and back. Denver lost Peyton for weeks. Arizona is down to their 3rd string back. Seattle is down to their 3rd string RB too. Cincy lost Dalton. KC is missing couple key defensive guys. New England lost their RB, #1 and #2 receivers, and Gronk missed couple weeks. We lost one main player (Luck), but the truth is we weren't playing well with him. Other teams won with more injuries to main players than the Colts. We are not a championship caliber team.

Umm . . . no they're not.

Chris Johnson is out, but Andre Ellington and David Johnson are fully healthy. Ellington was actually the #1 back coming out of training camp. DJ stepped in after CJ was out and dominated. Cards are fine at RB . . . only major injury they have is Tyrann Matthieu.

Carolina has also lost their #2 and #3 CB.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The big issue with the Colts I feel is and has been a very poor offensive line. They have not had a decent running game for years, no matter who was running the ball, but Richardson last year was obviously the worst. Bradshaw (when healthy) was better, but think about Donald Brown and Boom Herron...still not an average running game. The offensive line left both quarterbacks way too vulnerable and it showed up every week.
    Our free agent signings of Johnson (bad result) Carter (bad result) Gore (average, considering offensive line) did nothing to improve this team. We have less talent here than when Grigson showed up plain and simple. Our free agent signings (for the most part) and draft choices have been poor since he got here, and I don't think anyone can dispute that. Our offensive line could have been improved via the draft but we took a WR instead. Had the two WR listed above worked out we wouldn't have needed to stockpile WR and take another with a first round pick. Taking the "best player available" does nothing if your

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    He was still out some and they lost C. Johnson. David Johnson filled in nicely but he's still the 3rd string. Honey Badger is out which hurt his DPOY chances. My point was that every playoff team lost players for extended periods of time, but yet they still won. The Colts lost Luck who underperformed prior to his injury and we lost. The Colts have average to below average starters and their depth is non existent. That's Grigson's fault. Hence, the reason I believe he should be thrown off the roof and fired as he's falling.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The big issue with the Colts I feel is and has been a very poor offensive line. They have not had a decent running game for years, no matter who was running the ball, but Richardson last year was obviously the worst. Bradshaw (when healthy) was better, but think about Donald Brown and Boom Herron...still not an average running game. The offensive line left both quarterbacks way too vulnerable and it showed up every week.
    Our free agent signings of Johnson (bad result) Carter (bad result) Gore (average, considering offensive line) did nothing to improve this team. We have less talent here than when Grigson showed up plain and simple. Our free agent signings (for the most part) and draft choices have been poor since he got here, and I don't think anyone can dispute that. Our offensive line could have been improved via the draft but we took a WR instead. Had the two WR listed above worked out we wouldn't have needed to stockpile WR and take another with a first round pick. Taking the "best player available" does nothing if your
    I agree that the O line needs toughening up. Losing Reggie left big shoes to fill, as well.

Top Bottom