• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Another good show, Guy. I took your Indiana Gun Laws course a few years ago, so this was a good refresher on when you are justified in shooting.

hoosier21

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    South Bend
    Listened to the show last night for the first time, on the WIBC phone app. I think I enjoy listening to Guy more than Mark Levin and Rush. Very informative, common sense information. I was excited to see I can go back and listen to several months worth of podcasts I've missed.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    bump. about to come on, and discuss the MD decision.
    multitasking ... not sure if I should bump here, or the gratuitous grillin thread :D

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Tonight on The Gun Guy Show: When can you effect a "citizen's arrest"? And can you use your gun, legally, to make that citizen's arrest?

Also tonight: Did you know Indiana has a "State Rifle"? And would you like to own an officially commissioned reproduction? Would you like to see the original in person this weekend?

Please tune in at 5:00 on 93.1 FM in Indianapolis or stream the show live at 93.1 WIBC from anywhere.

Guy

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Guy. On the topic of felons and possession of guns, I was given a scenario I couldn't answer.

Let's say my friend Andy is a proper person and enjoys shooting as a hobby. His brother in-law has a felony DUI on his record. This family decides to have a guy's day out and part of which is some range time. Can Andy's brother in-law participate?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    His brother in-law has a felony DUI on his record.

Do you mean conviction, or only an arrest?

his family decides to have a guy's day out and part of which is some range time. Can Andy's brother in-law participate?

It depends:

1. Is it just an arrest and prosecution by an out-of-control, overzealous prosecutor looking to win a plaque from MADD which was later dismissed?

NOT disqualified by state or federal law as no conviction resulted.

***NOTE: if pending case, possessing firearms MAY be a violation of conditions of bond.

2. Felony OWI arrest and prosecution but conviction entered as a misdemeanor?

NOT disqualified, unless potentially on probation (rules of probation may forbid possessing firearms even if on misdemeanor probation).

3. Felony OWI arrest which leads to a felony conviction.

DISQUALIFIED. Federal law prohibits possessing firearms in almost all felony convictions, including state level felony OWI.

Rights can be restored via: sentence modification, potential PCR, pardon, expungement. Talk to an attorney about such options.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    He was convicted and spent 18 months in lockup. So, situation #3. It's the possessing that becomes the interesting question. If it's someone else's gun and the're present, is he really in possession? The reason I ask that question is because if I had a suppressor that I own and filed a form 4 as an individual, I can let anyone shoot it as long as I'm with them. Wouldn't they be deemed not in possession?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So how would they not be in possession of the suppressor?

You are applying a variant of Kirk's First Law of the Internet and confusing NFA rules with 922.

If you are a prohibited person, you cannot possess a firearm (firearm, frame, suppressor, DD). There is no "the real owner is standing beside me" exception.

Top Bottom