WHYYYYY are you giving in to these .22lr gougers!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I'm a big fan of Mises if that tells you anything. Virtue has no place in a truly free market. Every transaction is a contract which is a voluntary agreement to a purchase price. I think the gray area here is that the station owner didn't knowingly engage in a contract at a penny per gallon.

I too subscribe to Mises. While I would agree that this was a huge error and in fact no real 'meeting of the minds' occurred, the fact remains that these people saw a deal, took that deal, and ran with that deal, to his total ruination. My advice for him the next time he alters his software: pump a few gallons and see what happens before taking off for the day. I "blame" him as much as I "blame" the [strike]parasites[/strike] consumers looking to buy goods for the lowest possible price. If I install a new motion-sensored gate for my guard-alligators, for instance, I would double-check the results of my handiwork so as not to come home and find Fido's collar on the doorstep. Due diligence versus the 'greed' of the consumer. To me this is similar to not checking what the purchase price of a product is, and then selling it for less than what was initially paid: due diligence must be made in order not to price oneself out of the market. This guy didn't do his due diligence in checking the modifications to the software and this is potentially the penalty. To quote one of my favorite movies: "I must have put a decimal point in the wrong place or something... I always mess up some mundane detail." "Oh, well this is not a mundane detail!" Who is to blame, the chicken or the egg?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I would like to say that I know a business person who has not marked up their .22 and has held it back to support a cause they believe is worthy. I admire what they are doing and support them.

This person is not letting the market set the price, this person is acting in their rational self interest. He believes he is better served selling it cheap to advance his values than by selling it expensive to stuff his pockets. I would have no right to criticize him if he chose either course, but I admire his ability to analyze the situation and look beyond his immediate gratification.

Either way though, it's his property.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    i have 300,000 rounds of .22. I'm selling it for $85.50 for a thousand. If you buy 10,000 at a time the price drops to $82.00

Great deal for all you people that can't find any. Pm me if your interested

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thread TL;DR, but anyone considered just negative repping the post of the flipper trying to hawk his overpriced boolets? Not that it matters, but enough of us destroy the flipper's rep.... Hell, who am I kidding, nobody cares about rep...:dunno:

disclaimer: Just did so for the first time a few minutes ago and thought I might want to get opinions before doing this wholesale... not that it really matters except outing the douchebags for the world to see... "ooh, look, his rep is red. He must be one of the opportunistic douchebags that stands outside of a big box store and hoovers up all the ammo while the rest of us are putting food on the table for our families. "

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I think what pisses people off the most about this side of the free market is that, when people engage in these activities, it drives the prices up and up. Because everyday, the price people are willing to pay gets higher and higher, and the cost of living, seems to rarely fluctuate downward anymore. So, in 5 years, when all of this has blown over, and said entrepreneurs have made their profit, the wake left behind will be higher priced ammo in all the retail stores, even when all panics are over, and the shelves are full. Will the average family's expendable income go up in tandem? I think not.

It just gets old.

BTW, I half wonder if Walmart isnt sticking to their guns on their prices in order to be the HUGE anchor on the market, to force the prices to stay as low as possible. They cant sell it, if no one can afford it.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Example, in 2000 I was fresh out of HS and made 12 bucks an hour at a factory. Gas was around 1$-1.50$ a gallon, milk was probably about 1.50 a gallon, bread was 49c a loaf.

Fast forward to 2014. You will make about 12 bucks an hour at a factory, gas will be anywhere from 3-4$ a gallon, milk is damn near 4 dollars a gallon, and bread is a buck a loaf. (of course you can find deals and whatnot, but were speaking averages)

So pushing the average price of anything up, when it could be avoided pisses people off.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Thread TL;DR, but anyone considered just negative repping the post of the flipper trying to hawk his overpriced boolets? Not that it matters, but enough of us destroy the flipper's rep.... Hell, who am I kidding, nobody cares about rep...:dunno:

disclaimer: Just did so for the first time a few minutes ago and thought I might want to get opinions before doing this wholesale... not that it really matters except outing the douchebags for the world to see... "ooh, look, his rep is red. He must be one of the opportunistic douchebags that stands outside of a big box store and hoovers up all the ammo while the rest of us are putting food on the table for our families. "
    You do realize you have bought or sold nothing? How were you harmed?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You do realize you have bought or sold nothing? How were you harmed?

A person is technically not harmed when they are offended by a forum post and give negative rep. So how is being offended by a flippers actions any different than a poster's offensive words?

By your logic, we should get rid of negative rep entirely because giving negative rep because you are offended is inappropriate because you arent actually harmed.

and I said rep, not feedback. It would be inappropriate to give negative classified feedback as I have not interacted with him in a transaction.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I guess I have a higher tolerance for being offended. Many high priced things being offered here. Believe I have seen Lenin's personal Mosin several times. Doesn't bother me in the least. Next ad.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've not purchased .22Lr in more than 5 years, and I have no plans to buy any at the current prices.
    I started buying bulk packs before Obama got elected the first time, and I stopped buying it shortly after.
    I don't shoot my 10/22 as much anymore. Instead I've switched to a couple of single-shot rifles.
    I'm sitting on just over 10K rounds, and I'm not sweating it for now, but I'm not selling any either, at any price.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Guys please, for the love of God, please answer the question as to why you are paying these guy on here $35-$50 for a 550 value pack of .22lr? Can you seriously not be patient? You do realize, the longer you keep supporting their gouging, the longer they will wait in line at 6am at the box stores, to wipe them clean and just sell to you for a profit.
    Before you go flaming me, just be sensible here. I understand its a "free market" and everything, but why, as a community, are we letting these guys with 200 or less posts, sell their 150%-200% overpriced .22lr in our classifieds? INGO should not support, accept, and allow this to go on here. I'm acquaintances with many of the longtime members here and they agree, that it is absolutely sick. They already have a persona here, and won't say anything about it, but I sure as hell will.
    Its a free country, and a free market, thats what makes this place great, but these people are scum and what they're doing is wrong as well. Flame and criticize me if you want, I know some of you will, and I don't care, I'm just honestly upset that this community is letting this happen so acceptingly. I just hope that some of you that share in this disgust can relate and help this crap stop. It's well past the panic, things are back to normal on a majority, but ammo gouging is still happening, on this site.

I'll try to keep my comments relative to your post, as a lot has grown from this thread. I personally despise the flippers. I also defend their right to offer their property for sale at whatever price they wish.

The simple answer to your first question is because they want the ammo, and it's worth that price to them to get it. Most people feel .22lr bulk ammo is not worth the high prices it's being offered at, but, if buyers are paying those prices, then most people are wrong. It is indeed worth that price, because people are paying it. What someone is willing to pay for something determines that something's value. Period.

It looks to me like the general overtone of your post is we should stop letting price gougers sell outragously price .22lr ammo on this site's classified section. Well... I think yes... and no.

I think anyone should be able sell their property for whatever price they want. That's their right. It's not for INGO to decide pricing guidelines on personal property being offered for sale in our forum. However, I do NOT feel it is the right of anyone to sell their personal property for whatever price they want ANYWHERE they want. It is NOT an individual forum user's RIGHT to sell anything on INGO. It is a privilege, granted by INGO administration, at the discretion, for the most part, of its rules and guidelines. If I understand correctly, INGO has post requirements to ensure the people using the classified section are truly forum community members, and not just individuals looking for a selling venue. If these flippers are forum community members by the forum's own definition, then they should not be restricted from participating in the classified sections opportunities. If they are not TRULY forum community members, but have still managed to meet requirements, then perhaps the requirements should be re-evaluated.

My overall opinion on the issue is if the flipper is a true community member, then selling personal property in the classifieds is a privilege they have. It shouldn't be INGO's position to screen their participation in that privilege according to price. If, on the other hand, the flipper is an individual simply trying to use INGO as a selling venue and is not a participating member of the INGO community, then it should not be allowed... but not for the reason of their pricing. INGO has advertising agreements available for those desiring rights to use INGO as a marketplace. Those rights come at a price that has been paid by our many fine advertisers, and it's not fair to our supporting advertisers to allow individuals to realize the same benefit at no cost, that the advertisers have paid for.

On a last note... a little food for thought reminder... unless you are a paying user, you have no rights afforded to you by INGO. Your use of their server and system is offered with no obligation to you, as you offer no consideration to INGO in exchange for services. Therefore, while it's not my OPINION that INGO should deny a user classified privileges based on pricing... if that user doesn't pay for a right of usage or service, I think it is INGO's right to deny any privilege it chooses to.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The definition of a free market.

"Free Market" is a myth. It's neither a real thing, nor is it what many people who use the term seem to think it is.

An economy, even a microcosm of one such as ammunition, is not readily defined by such simple terms. When people can corner a market on something and artificially create demand and then profit from that artificially created demand then the market is not in fact, free. Point in fact, a "free market" will have a STRONG tendency to slide towards monopolization because that maximizes the profits.

In a free market a commodity is produced and is bought and sold between the producer and the consumer. A market is not free when various stages of middlemen act not to broker a deal, but to restrict supply and stand between the producer and the consumer and create that artificial demand.

A market is a complex and dynamic system and the larger it becomes the further away it moves from being a "free market," even in the absence of governmental controls and regulations.
    In the modern society There Is No Such Thing As a Free Market.

Top Bottom