WHYYYYY are you giving in to these .22lr gougers!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Most people are foolish with their money. I don't understand why .22lr has become the be all, end all of the ammo world. Other than occasional plinking or squirrel hunbting it is otherwise useless, not to mention not overly fun to shoot. If most .22 shooters would lay off shooting it for a few months the prices would stabilize. This "flipping" phenomenon is largely self induced, and self perpetuated.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    The reason I posted the link is because this isn't the community everyone seems to think it is. In the poll on that thread, nearly half of those who voted said they would take gas from a station for a penny knowing it was a mistake. Is that the kind of character you're speaking of?

As for the latter part of my post you quoted, I think it's self explanatory.

Is character a necessary feature of a free market? It might be a necessary feature for a civil society, but what of the market? How does having the integrity to pay more translate into supply and demand? Even if everyone on INGO had enough 'character' to pay more for gas than one cent per gallon - and the poll itself proves otherwise - would everyone in the area have enough character to pay more? If not, the guy is still out however many gallons that tank holds, and there's no net difference in outcome. Myself, I always try to look for the best price on gasoline and most things, but one cent is low enough that it's obviously a mistake, given that price excludes federal taxes, I would steer clear if for that reason alone. But not everyone would, or did. Hopefully the owner learned a lesson, if he is able to recover from this loss: 'character' is a made-up word for most, having no application or meaning for most. Same goes for 'integrity' and 'honesty'. What role does virtue have in the market?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    An example would be someone who thought they were entitled to my bulk pack @ $20.00 while there was a line of potential buyers willing to spend $50.00....
    There's no one taking advantage of anybody in that situation though. Not that I can see. If you sold it for $20, it may have been altruistic on your part, but nobody took advantage of you.

The question was mostly rhetorical in that you can't take advantage of somebody who has a choice. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think the phenomenon of taking advantage of someone is related to the fictional gouging phenomenon we discuss. It doesn't really happen, it just offends some one's sensibilities when a sale is transacted with terms they find yucky.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    You sure about this ? Initially, I thought the same thing.... Now, that it has gone on for a period of time, I find the picture much more clearer...

I just can't fathom how some would expect a seller to walk away from a $50.00 sale to just sell it for $20.00....

Yep, I am sure. For example, my younger brother just got a Ruger 22/45. He can't find any 22LR to feed it. I was lucky enough to come across a 225 box of Golden Bullets last weekend, so I picked it up for him. Granted, he's my brother, but I'm not going to charge him a dime for it. In this instance, my passion for him being able to shoot his new pistol outweighs my desire to make $$. At some point, I know he'll return the favor, and I'm totally fine not doubling my money.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yep, I am sure. For example, my younger brother just got a Ruger 22/45. He can't find any 22LR to feed it. I was lucky enough to come across a 225 box of Golden Bullets last weekend, so I picked it up for him. Granted, he's my brother, but I'm not going to charge him a dime for it. In this instance, my passion for him being able to shoot his new pistol outweighs my desire to make $$. At some point, I know he'll return the favor, and I'm totally fine not doubling my money.

You didn't sell it. You gifted it. And the only transaction worth discussing is the one in which you bought it. Your illustration, while a shining example of your altruism, isn't an example of supply and demand.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's no one taking advantage of anybody in that situation though. Not that I can see. If you sold it for $20, it may have been altruistic on your part, but nobody took advantage of you.

The question was mostly rhetorical in that you can't take advantage of somebody who has a choice. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think the phenomenon of taking advantage of someone is related to the fictional gouging phenomenon we discuss. It doesn't really happen, it just offends some one's sensibilities when a sale is transacted with terms they find yucky.

I agree... I was just answering the question intended for someone else from an opposing viewpoint...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Is character a necessary feature of a free market? It might be a necessary feature for a civil society, but what of the market? How does having the integrity to pay more translate into supply and demand? Even if everyone on INGO had enough 'character' to pay more for gas than one cent per gallon - and the poll itself proves otherwise - would everyone in the area have enough character to pay more? If not, the guy is still out however many gallons that tank holds, and there's no net difference in outcome. Myself, I always try to look for the best price on gasoline and most things, but one cent is low enough that it's obviously a mistake, given that price excludes federal taxes, I would steer clear if for that reason alone. But not everyone would, or did. Hopefully the owner learned a lesson, if he is able to recover from this loss: 'character' is a made-up word for most, having no application or meaning for most. Same goes for 'integrity' and 'honesty'. What role does virtue have in the market?
    I'm a big fan of Mises if that tells you anything. Virtue has no place in a truly free market. Every transaction is a contract which is a voluntary agreement to a purchase price. I think the gray area here is that the station owner didn't knowingly engage in a contract at a penny per gallon.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I wouldn't consider that as an example of two opposing sides... Even if you wanted to make money, I would only consider the opposing side to truly being a second side only if your brother EXPECTED you to give him your ammo @ whatever price he wanted to pay...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I put two Federal Bulk Packs on here for $70 for both. $35 per pack. Rough estimate: $28 for the pack, plus tax, plus gasoline, etc... I feel $35 was fair. If you don't, then to heck with you kid. I have better things to do than listen to children cry and moan about how they can't afford it or "you're jacking the price up so it will become the new norm" or whatever is the complaint dujour. Let's look at '08, bulk packs were about $20 each then. Price skyrockets as people want to make a few bucks selling something that is a commoditized item, price resting back down to about $25-30 after a year or so. Another panic and we are back to the races, everyone scrambling to get .22LR, which might I add, in the guise of "they are going to ban guns", I would not want to stock up on .22LR, but 5.56 as it's more useful to bounce that off an V150 hull than .22LR is. Then, we are stabilizing, but Walmart is invariably going to price back up and likely would be about $30-$35 per pack. This is how things go.

Remember Wolf ammo? $2.99 per 20 and people were calling it junk and crying about the laquer sealant gumming up their craphole AR they cobbled out of plumbing parts and had Uncle Ruckus weld it up for them. Best I've seen locally was $6.99 each, $4.99 online (not including tax). Cry about something that matters...

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    You need to come with a legitimate issue here other then anger. You want something someone else has and you don't want to pay their price. You're angry, I get that, BUT do you have ANY actual reasons for the rant other then that?
    Than x2 not then.:cool:

Top Bottom