repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    If your worried about that happening,
    You might want to find a different place to live then.
    Right? Because crazy neighbor is somehow going to be less angry in an HOA. Especially if they are going after him, as opposed to a civil conversation which could have solved it?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When I met my wife she owned a townhouse condominium, the kind set up like row houses.

The owner’s contract was thick, but in many places it was incredibly vague.

When we got married I sold my little house and moved in with her. Because she already had the house set up and decorated to her taste I set my hobby stuff up in the garage, and that is where I spent most of my leisure time.

The same day I moved in I moved the trash bin from the garage to the driveway…it took up valuable workspace, and it stunk. I never heard a peep from my neighbors or the COA…not for years.

Until, six years later, the condo association hired a new management company, and they immediately started sending threatening letters about keeping my trash bin inside the garage except for trash day.

Eventually they fined me.

So, here’s the problem…the trash bins are not mentioned anywhere in the condo association contracts. The management company was interpreting the “generally pleasing appearance” clause to allow them to enforce the trash bin preferences of the condo board president.

I went round and round with the board, but the president would never allow comment or a vote on bins…

…so I paid a lawyer to draft a C&D letter, taped the envelope to my bin, and left it in his driveway.

A couple days later my bin appeared back in my driveway…where it sat for four more years until we moved out.

That’s why I hate HOA’s.
    The trash bin issue is typically dealt with in newer neighborhoods but those monster bins did not exist twenty years ago around here. Sounds like it should have been put up for a vote to me.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The trash bin issue is typically dealt with in newer neighborhoods but those monster bins did not exist twenty years ago around here. Sounds like it should have been put up for a vote to me.
    Yea, because no one used to leave the 2 to 4 trash cans of the past out on the street back then.
    Where do you come up with some of these answers, a Michael Moore Documentary?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wouldn’t it be better if people just had an agreement in place as what the rule are for ho they will live when they bought?
    If the agreement isn't a Hobson's choice, sure. But that's not the case. Wouldn't it be better if the agreement weren't attached to the land forever?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, here’s the problem…the trash bins are not mentioned anywhere in the condo association contracts. The management company was interpreting the “generally pleasing appearance” clause to allow them to enforce the trash bin preferences of the condo board president.
    Here's the thing. Mike would recognize that the "general welfare clause" in the US constitution is vague, and is misused to interpret that the government can basically interpret that as anything it wants as long as the administration continues to appoint SCOTUS justices who will reliably take up the same interpretation. Meanwhile, the government is allowed to take money from people who earned it and give it to people who didn't.

That clause was not intended for that purpose, and was not exploited that way until it was. Your situation is the same. People who want you to live a certain way will figure out a way to exploit wording to enforce what they want. Now Mike might say, well, you agreed to move in there, so you should have read the rules and anticipated that new management could exploit vague wording to make a rule that was never a rule before out of the same language. But that's retarded.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I get the whole talk to your neighbor and work it out but that is not life today. Talk to your neighbor about an issue you might get shot for “disrespect”.

Oh, so maybe you should move then? Isn't that the answer you'd have for people who don't like the way association rules are interpreted and enforced? Because, hey, you agreed to it.

Some neighbors are great, and some are ******, and that's just the case whether you live in an HOA or not. And if you live in an HOA, ****** neighbors have a capacity to make things much worse by exploiting the HOA against you.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yea, because no one used to leave the 2 to 4 trash cans of the past out on the street back then.
    Where do you come up with some of these answers, a Michael Moore Documentary?
    Where do you come up with your answers? Maybe others have different experiences than you. In the neighborhoods I have lived in the 95 gallon massive trash bins in bright advertising olors(not cans) were not common. Then added a recycle bin and many families now have two bins for trash that is the equivalent of 9 traditional trash cans to store, again, on a .17 lot or house.

I suspect much of the trash is packaging from Chinese goods…

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Where do you come up with your answers? Maybe others have different experiences than you. In the neighborhoods I have lived in the 95 gallon massive trash bins in bright advertising olors(not cans) were not common. Then added a recycle bin and many families now have two bins for trash that is the equivalent of 9 traditional trash cans to store, again, on a .17 lot or house.
    Where do I come up with my answers? LOL
    66 years of living, and lots of traveling.

And again, because some leaving trash cans out is a new phenomenon happening with the giant rolling cans. :lmfao:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Some neighbors are great, and some are ******, and that's just the case whether you live in an HOA or not. And if you live in an HOA, ****** neighbors have a capacity to make things much worse by exploiting the HOA against you.
    Here I the crux of our disagreement; FIFY

And if you live in an HOA, you have a capacity to make things much better by using the HOA against ****** neighbors.

Just as Dean is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom