Not open for further replies.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So a savvy farmer sold his farm to mega developer corp in about 2006, several were trying to buy the land. The farmer got his money, at the time he bought 2000 acres with the money from the 150 acres, and he retained a contractual covenant/restriction, (because a contractual deal might fall if the developer sold the land) that the farmer could farm the land as he had for decades, at nominal price, until permits for development were in place.

He still is farming that land and has crops on it today. This is the 24th season of farming the land he once owned.

Any requirements that sellers sell only the complete bundle would take this right away.
    The farmer had a knowledgeable Attorney.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I guess they'll have to go back to the old days of actually talking to their neighbor and making an agreement to not be a nincompoop instead of crying to mom & dad developer to try and legislate behavior.
    Any correlation with the rise of selfishness simultaneously with the rise in the need of covenants and HOA’s?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Any correlation with the rise of selfishness simultaneously with the rise in the need of covenants and HOA’s?
    dpgNat.gif

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wouldn’t it be better if people just had an agreement in place as what the rule are for ho they will live when they bought?
    Okay, I worked my way back to this post. I guess some believe a written agreement is necessary. Common courtesy prevailed in the pre-HOA days I guess. Maybe it correlates to your other post about selfishness increasing at about the same time as the popularity of HOAs.

I prefer the common courtesy route, but I know that's not always possible. At that point, I would get .gov involved, although it would be as a last resort.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Okay, I worked my way back to this post. I guess some believe a written agreement is necessary. Common courtesy prevailed in the pre-HOA days I guess. Maybe it correlates to your other post about selfishness increasing at about the same time as the popularity of HOAs.

I prefer the common courtesy route, but I know that's not always possible. At that point, I would get .gov involved, although it would be as a last resort.
    I get the whole talk to your neighbor and work it out but that is not life today. Talk to your neighbor about an issue you might get shot for “disrespect”.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have never been a part of a cutthroat HOA. I suppose they exist. It is not easy to get foreclosure judgements, think a court would take a house for no reason?

When I met my wife she owned a townhouse condominium, the kind set up like row houses.

The owner’s contract was thick, but in many places it was incredibly vague.

When we got married I sold my little house and moved in with her. Because she already had the house set up and decorated to her taste I set my hobby stuff up in the garage, and that is where I spent most of my leisure time.

The same day I moved in I moved the trash bin from the garage to the driveway…it took up valuable workspace, and it stunk. I never heard a peep from my neighbors or the COA…not for years.

Until, six years later, the condo association hired a new management company, and they immediately started sending threatening letters about keeping my trash bin inside the garage except for trash day.

Eventually they fined me.

So, here’s the problem…the trash bins are not mentioned anywhere in the condo association contracts. The management company was interpreting the “generally pleasing appearance” clause to allow them to enforce the trash bin preferences of the condo board president.

I went round and round with the board, but the president would never allow comment or a vote on bins…

…so I paid a lawyer to draft a C&D letter, taped the envelope to my bin, and left it in his driveway.

A couple days later my bin appeared back in my driveway…where it sat for four more years until we moved out.

That’s why I hate HOA’s.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom