jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    They understand your lies?
    You know how this goes. It’s been going this way the whole time. The lie is in the way you frame it, as if it’s a right to restrict people’s freedom. A clear indication of not knowing the subject of freedom, natural rights, and so on.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've been around this place for quite some time now and I must say that this has unquestionably been the most entertaining thread I've personally participated in. My apologies to those who don't share my tastes in entertainment. :lmfao:
    Everyone loves a good train wreck, except the people of Ohio, understandably. And Mike.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You know how this goes. It’s been going this way the whole time. The lie is in the way you frame it, as if it’s a right to restrict people’s freedom. A clear indication of not knowing the subject of freedom, natural rights, and so on.
    The lies are that anyone is forced and anyone has any rights taken.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Who's income isn't going up after they bought their starter home?! I bought my "starter home" when I was 19 and single. When I sold it a few years later, my income was substantially higher - then add in my wife's. Renting is nothing more than throwing money away, IMO, similar to leasing a car (and I used to buy / trade every 2yrs/60k miles - much better than a lease). Not joining the masses in moving every 5-7 years is where you can gain equity in your home and make progress.
    Yes ideally your income increases and allows more doors to open. My reply was a rebuttal that a starter home's appreciation will help you buy a bigger home.
    Many believe it is good for the consumers.
    Because consumers believe it does not make a thing true. "It's for your safety/security/privacy" is a common call used to try and sway public sentiment. Examples:
    • Anti-gun marketing that makes it sound like getting rid of them will increase safety. While we know that's BS plenty of people believe it.
    • Another less polarizing example, Apple goes to great lengths to claim that having one of their devices repaired outside their authorized repair centers is dangerous for your privacy and security listing examples of unwanted apps being installed, your personal photos being viewed/exposed, etc... only to have examples of these very things happening from their network of authorized repair centers. Yet many people will still believe that going to an unauthorized but very capable and reputable repair center is dangerous.
    • Final example from the auto world to discredit sharing diagnostic data with "unauthorized" repair shops, they had an advertisement created attempting to connect assaults on women being enabled/perpetuated by sketchy people because they had access to the same diagnostic data from your car that a dealer has access to.
    Thus my skepticism of what corporate America says is good for the consumer. All of these things are of course legal and many even believe them. Another commonality with this thread, many supporters of the above behavior will say "If you don't like it, don't support that company with your dollars/find an alternative product/vendor." Great in theory but if we did that as gun owners we wouldn't be able to buy from any big stores. Same for technology as Apple isn't the only one with this behavior. And we know that all auto manufacturers would love to have you locked into their service centers for life.

I see an HOA as just another example of something that is good for corporate America and has been marketed as good for the consumer with little option to avoid it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The lie is in the way you frame it, as if it’s a right to restrict people’s freedom
    Do you disagree with the current laws that allow a landowner to sell their property the way they wish with deed restrictions and covenants?

Does anyone force any buyer to buy a property that has deed restrictions and covenants? Who?

Can a landowner be disallowed to sell with deed restrictions and covenants and not lose rights? How?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Pssssttt, I'll let you in on the secret. If you don't want to live in a HOA, don't buy in a HOA neighborhood! it's a really cool option, just select the "No HOA" filter on Realtor.com and you'll be able to find a place with no HOA.
    Ok, did this for funzies. The result is attached. Note the large blank areas of the map where no homes are available? Yes this is what we're talking about when we say "There is no choice." And no this isn't a case of zoom in or remove boundaries to see more. Here is the search URL for reference. Requirements are simple, no HOA, Single Family Home, New Construction.

Attachments

• no-HOA.png
      no-HOA.png
      728.6 KB · Views: 11

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The lies are that anyone is forced and anyone has any rights taken.
    HOA's are like taxes. Theft at the point of a gun. Freedoms removed on entry.
    I'm real lucky to live far from the city amongst the trees with no HOA full of Napoleonic nannies trying to make me comply with the watered down communism that passes for freedom in those places.
    To misquote the waterboy's mama, " HOAs is da debil!"
    A legal excuse to force people to live like YOU want them to. Somebody gets sick and can't mow or afford to fix a car or a fence and you run them out without qualm or conscience? We should feed people who do that to the hogs.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Ok, did this for funzies. The result is attached. Note the large blank areas of the map where no homes are available? Yes this is what we're talking about when we say "There is no choice." And no this isn't a case of zoom in or remove boundaries to see more. Here is the search URL for reference. Requirements are simple, no HOA, Single Family Home, New Construction.
    Not surprised! Most new construction homes will be in a development on a postage stamp sized lot with a HOA. Take out "new construction" and you'll find inventory.

In my previous posts, I've discussed that is the older, existing neighborhoods with no HOAs.

But again, the younger crowd wants the postage stamp sized yard with a new house and a HOA...

If you want a new home, not in a development without a HOA, buy a lot and look up TK Construction...
    I'm real lucky to live far from the city amongst the trees with no HOA full of Napoleonic nannies trying to make me comply with the watered down communism that passes for freedom in those places.
    A legal excuse to force people to live like YOU want them to. Somebody gets sick and can't mow or afford to fix a car or a fence and you run them out without qualm or conscience? We should feed people who do that to the hogs.
    Like who wants to live? Everyone joins the HOA, not one person who's joined has made the rules...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Like who wants to live? Everyone joins the HOA, not one person who's joined has made the rules...
    The fact that anyone considered making rules like that to infringe on someone else's right to do as they please on property they own kinda makes me think they're commies at heart and should be fed to the bacon machines.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The fact that anyone considered making rules like that to infringe on someone else's right to do as they please on property they own kinda makes me think they're commies at heart and should be fed to the bacon machines.
    Glad I didn't consider making those rules then. I just thought they were very reasonable where I lived on less than a quarter acre in a 400+ home subdivision. It's a very desirable neighborhood many others must feel the same...

That said, I didn't have the issues with Karen's or crazy HOA rules like some here had (choose your neighborhoods wisely)!

Now that I'm on 15ac, I am the HOA.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not surprised! Most new construction homes will be in a development on a postage stamp sized lot with a HOA. Take out "new construction" and you'll find inventory.

In my previous posts, I've discussed that is the older, existing neighborhoods with no HOAs.

But again, the younger crowd wants the postage stamp sized yard with a new house and a HOA...

If you want a new home, not in a development without a HOA, buy a lot and look up TK Construction...

Postage stamp yards/neighborhoods aren't a new thing. The HOA is. Which is fine. Problem is all the non-HOA options went away too.

Regarding "build on your lot" places we looked into those as well. Still difficult to find a plot of land without and HOA attached to it. Realtor and Zillow aren't much help there as they don't often show an HOA if it is just a plot of land. I just verified many plots of land tagged as "no-HOA" but do in fact have an HOA.

I'll remain with my stance that if you want to live in a remotely suburban area with new construction or even a newish neighborhood you have little choice but to accept an HOA for better or worse.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is just an outright lie. What a joke! “Theft at the point of a gun”. No one is forced to do anything, EVER. You write this as if someone made another pay or do something. How about INGO be consistent, if a guy says he will meet you Tuesday noon to buy what you sell in the classies and he no-shows INGO cuts him to shreds, but the guy that agrees, IN WRITING, to covenants and deed restrictions and does not follow them is a hero. Hypocrites!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Your way of thinking is actually the commie way. This thinking is the only proposal that takes rights from anyone, landowners rights to sell as they wish.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Postage stamp yards/neighborhoods aren't a new thing. The HOA is. Which is fine. Problem is all the non-HOA options went away too.

Regarding "build on your lot" places we looked into those as well. Still difficult to find a plot of land without and HOA attached to it. Realtor and Zillow aren't much help there as they don't often show an HOA if it is just a plot of land. I just verified many plots of land tagged as "no-HOA" but do in fact have an HOA.

I'll remain with my stance that if you want to live in a remotely suburban area with new construction or even a newish neighborhood you have little choice but to accept an HOA for better or worse.
    So you can't have your cake and eat it to...

How did the non HOA options go away? Did someone buy all those existing neighborhoods and add a HOA or redevelop them? It seems there's a LOT of newer homes in the marketplace, which naturally have HOAs. The older, non HOA neighborhoods are still there.

Unless your talking the older downtown areas of these small suburban towns, then yes, postage stamp sized lots are a HOA thing. I grew up on an acre in a suburb (house built in '63) and most of my friends weren't in a HOA neighborhood either and were on half an acre, in a slightly newer home (mid 80's).

Postage stamp lot in my mind is a quarter of an acre, give or take.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom