• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Because I do not believe a person has a right to dictate what takes place on someone else's property.
    It is a voluntary agreement, no one is dictating ANYTHING to ANYONE. If someone doesn’t agree they are free to buy elsewhere. Agreement is not dictating.

Whether they used to own it or not. If someone wants to control what happens on a piece of property they need to own it.
    Do they have to remove every other change they made to the property when they sell it? Tear down buildings, change zoning back or do other changes not count? Why should landowners not be allowed to set up land as they wish

I've proposed modifications to the current system which would allow for more freedom of choice for homeowners. That isn't acceptable to you because you know they would fail and again, you've admitted as much in this thread.
    Homeowners have the freedom to choose. Landowners have the freedom to choose. The ONLY one taking freedom is those suggesting that they not have that freedom.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    The story thus far:

Man makes thread about topic that appears to genuinely want answers and then gets the answers. He doesn't like the answers and nobody likes his. The thread devolves into everyone shouting "stop liking what I don't like!".

I think that saves everyone about 80 pages so far.
    Exactly. It's been pointed out but the OP thinks everyone else is big meanie heads picking on him.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Because of a lack of choice in the matter. As difficult as it is to find a house that suits a families needs, something so seemingly unimportant as signing an HOA within the 100 or so other documents people have to sign, ends up being a pain in people's asses down the road. It's a disingenuous way to do it and it's done like that because that's the only way to get it done.
    Is it really a secret? Everyone here seems to have an opinion…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Love to see your "better than" come out in the daylight.

If some people weren't so pretentious and snooty and had some form of meaning or substance to their lives they wouldn't be worried about the placement of a basketball court at the neighbor's house or an American flag hung out front.

I guess in the end the world needs those people too. If we're gonna tolerate them I suppose we'd best appease them. HOAs it is I reckon.
    So living in a neat house, with a neat yard, no boats and RV’s parked in the yard, no oil stains on the drive from restoring cars is pretentious and not of substance. You are as bad as the snobs that look down their nose at you…

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The story thus far:

Man makes thread about topic that appears to genuinely want answers and then gets the answers. He doesn't like the answers and nobody likes his. The thread devolves into everyone shouting "stop liking what I don't like!".

I think that saves everyone about 80 pages so far.
    Accurate.
    Hey, you get it!
    Is it really a secret? Everyone here seems to have an opinion…
    Exactly, you can't get it, even after 100 times. Everyone else just about understands.
    Pssssttt, I'll let you in on the secret. If you don't want to live in a HOA, don't buy in a HOA neighborhood! it's a really cool option, just select the "No HOA" filter on Realtor.com and you'll be able to find a place with no HOA.
    So living in a neat house, with a neat yard, no boats and RV’s parked in the yard, no oil stains on the drive from restoring cars is pretentious and not of substance. You are as bad as the snobs that look down their nose at you…
    Sounds like it. That's how I had my city house and that's how my country place is. No one would know it though, you can't see it...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My 2 experiences with HOA's were both pretty negative, 1 safety wise and 1 was just funny (to me, not them).

1. Rented a house in an HOA sub division for about 7 years. Simple "rules", didn't bat an eye when I would work 2 weekends in a row and not mow my yard. They also ran a nice little community pool with a lifeguard and standard safety rules (no diving, no running, no glass containers and no alcohol). That was the first 5 years. About mid year 6 the board changed hands. Immediately got rid of the lifeguard ("too expensive"). As soon as people realized the lifeguards were gone, out came the alcohol and broken glass all over. My daughter was disappointed that she could no longer go there. We moved at the end of the 7th year.
    It is sad when an HOA board fails its duty.

2. Moved from that rental house into this one (purchased, not renting). The following summer I was hanging an antenna wire between 2 trees for one of my ham radios. Plenty of space since I have a couple acres. I'm about 1/2 way done when a female (sorry, can't call her a lady) came up into my yard where I was working screaming at the top of her lungs wanting to know what the h*ll I thought I was doing, what the f**k is that s**t between the trees, etc. I calmly informed her that it was a type of ham radio antenna and that I was putting it up so I could use it. That really set her off, started screaming about HOA violations, fines and getting a lien on my house. After about 15 minutes of her rant I was done. I explained (beligerantly) in no uncertain terms that her f'ing HOA is limited to her neighborhood and my property is not a part of it, and that she needed to leave before she pissed me off. Never heard a word after that even after installing a 35' antenna tower in the back yard.

So yes, I hate HOAs and will never own a house where there is one.
    She wasn’t even in her neighborhood? I would hate her too. WOW! Most HOA’s do not allow antennas.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Do they have to remove every other change they made to the property when they sell it? Tear down buildings, change zoning back or do other changes not count? Why should landowners not be allowed to set up land as they wish
    Where do you come up with this ****?

An OWNER is free to do all of the things they want to do with their property. They can choose to sell it only to a Man named Julie who wears Daisy Dukes and only eats toast on Tuesdays if they wish. They can build a 13 story waterslide on it that lands them onto their back porch and heat the water with pallets they stack by the thousands and burn.

Then, that owner can sell it to a woman named Fred who rides unicycles with a stuffed polar bear on her back (life sized of course) because as the current owner, the previous owner's wishes no longer matter.

Does that incorporate enough ridiculous garbage to make sense?

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    It is sad when an HOA board fails its duty.

She wasn’t even in her neighborhood? I would hate her too. WOW! Most HOA’s do not allow antennas.
    It's even sadder when a board gives control to known immature alcoholics.

In her defense, since all of the properties on this end of her subdivision back up to my property, she probably assumed that I was a part of her subdivision.

Congress was working with the FCC to pass a law stating that folks with an amateur radio license are excluded from any HOA rules about antennas. Don't know if it passed or not, I quit following it after we moved.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    2. Moved from that rental house into this one (purchased, not renting). The following summer I was hanging an antenna wire between 2 trees for one of my ham radios. Plenty of space since I have a couple acres. I'm about 1/2 way done when a female (sorry, can't call her a lady) came up into my yard where I was working screaming at the top of her lungs wanting to know what the h*ll I thought I was doing, what the f**k is that s**t between the trees, etc. I calmly informed her that it was a type of ham radio antenna and that I was putting it up so I could use it. That really set her off, started screaming about HOA violations, fines and getting a lien on my house. After about 15 minutes of her rant I was done. I explained (beligerantly) in no uncertain terms that her f'ing HOA is limited to her neighborhood and my property is not a part of it, and that she needed to leave before she pissed me off. Never heard a word after that even after installing a 35' antenna tower in the back yard.

So yes, I hate HOAs and will never own a house where there is one.
    Sounds like your typical HOA board member.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I agree and will call you a brother of the gun!
    And I'll buy you both a beer (or bourbon on the rocks) at the next meet n greet.

Where do you come up with this ****?

An OWNER is free to do all of the things they want to do with their property. They can choose to sell it only to a Man named Julie who wears Daisy Dukes and only eats toast on Tuesdays if they wish. They can build a 13 story waterslide on it that lands them onto their back porch and heat the water with pallets they stack by the thousands and burn.

Then, that owner can sell it to a woman named Fred who rides unicycles with a stuffed polar bear on her back (life sized of course) because as the current owner, the previous owner's wishes no longer matter.

Does that incorporate enough ridiculous garbage to make sense?
    Not if it's deed restricted!!! But, who would know and enforce it?

In her defense, since all of the properties on this end of her subdivision back up to my property, she probably assumed that I was a part of her subdivision.
    And you didn't continue to mess with her? Man, that's a lost opportunity!

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    And I'll buy you both a beer (or bourbon on the rocks) at the next meet n greet.

Not if it's deed restricted!!! But, who would know and enforce it?

And you didn't continue to mess with her? Man, that's a lost opportunity!
    I usually don't go out of my way to mess with people (friends and coworkers notwithstanding).

However I have since put in a home made 26 foot tall tilt over tower with a 16 foot tall antenna on top of it for my other base rig. Nobody said a word to me when I did that, and it's been up for a few years now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom