Not open for further replies.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    They have a choice. They may not like the consequences, but they still have a choice. Just like you do when buying a house. Setup a search for "No HOA". Pretty simple to do and you'll only see houses without a HOA.

Homeless and death?! What?? One could easily take a job in the private sector once you get out. Or just take the jab and stay in the service. I've never enlisted but even I know that those in the armed services get all sorts of vaccines before they deploy (maybe it's when you enlist, idk).

Hell, I was one of the few in my larger family that did not get the jab and took plenty of heat for it. But, you've got to stand for something and turns out I was right. (Ask my vaxxed and booster brother how many times he's had covid - hint, many more than me).

Ah yes, the racist HOA. How could I forget.

Do you have any first hand experience or just the news articles you've linked to? Have you ever lived in a HOA neighborhood?

Some have posted they had previously and they had issues. Others have lived in one and without issue. Others still live in one and enjoy it. Isn't it great to live in a country with all this freedom to choose where we live and have the options we do?

Now you want to outlaw HOAs. So you're propsing laws against folks joining a HOA, that many folks do not have issue with?

And you say you're for freedom :scratch:. Far from it, actually...
    A choice isn't take this or die, be homeless and unemployable. That's not a choice at all. If it is, I hope one day you get that choice.
    Oh wow, you stood up to family? That's exactly like getting something other than honorable discharge which limits your job potential to almost none.

Yes, I've had friends experience HOA madness and their's started innocent enough. None of them ever want an HOA neighborhood again.

You seriously didn't see the context about outlawing HOAs. Sorry, not worth explaining it because I can't break it down Barney style enough that was the joke.

Thanks for trying.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am glad, as I have said repeatedly you have a choice that suits you since you get so little value from an HOA. Why do you keep insisting that I not have the choice I want?
    Well, yeah, you have said it repeatedly, but it was just as retarded the first time. How much more having repeated it so much? :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    HOAs are pathetic because the reasons behind their existence I find pathetic. Most people living under HOA rule would prefer not to be.
    If some people didn’t live or act like pigs an HOA would not be necessary for many people. I find it interesting you so strongly believe that “most people” don’t but yet they do…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am glad, as I have said repeatedly you have a choice that suits you since you get so little value from an HOA. Why do you keep insisting that I not have the choice I want?
    Because I do not believe a person has a right to dictate what takes place on someone else's property. Whether they used to own it or not. If someone wants to control what happens on a piece of property they need to own it.

I've proposed modifications to the current system which would allow for more freedom of choice for homeowners. That isn't acceptable to you because you know they would fail and again, you've admitted as much in this thread.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If some people didn’t live or act like pigs an HOA would not be necessary for many people. I find it interesting you so strongly believe that “most people” don’t but yet they do…
    Because of a lack of choice in the matter. As difficult as it is to find a house that suits a families needs, something so seemingly unimportant as signing an HOA within the 100 or so other documents people have to sign, ends up being a pain in people's asses down the road. It's a disingenuous way to do it and it's done like that because that's the only way to get it done.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Love to see your "better than" come out in the daylight.

If some people weren't so pretentious and snooty and had some form of meaning or substance to their lives they wouldn't be worried about the placement of a basketball court at the neighbor's house or an American flag hung out front.

I guess in the end the world needs those people too. If we're gonna tolerate them I suppose we'd best appease them. HOAs it is I reckon.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In my mind this right here shows that it isn't the market (home buyer demand) that brought about HOAs. It was developer choice to prevent them from "losing money". I'm also skeptical that they lost money so much as they didn't make as much as they told their investors they would. They've then also sold this to the homeowners as "It'll protect your home value!" Meanwhile the developer gets to go to the next large plot of land increase their prices and start all over.
    Don’t disagree with much here. The developers own the land and have the freedom to do what they can to protect themselves.

I'm just not buying it. You're not typically making any headway buying a starter home and then moving up. Any gains you made on the starter home will be a wash on the larger home you purchase. Buying a home VS renting an apartment is where the real gain comes from. The rest has to come from increased income or another outside source. We could sell our current house for almost 70% more than we purchased at but without more income we could not move up. That's even ignoring the massive interest rates today compared to what we currently have.
    That is how it has worked for millions of people, many are heading to retirement with a house worth near a half million dollars.

I don't believe this is a right people should have to begin with. If people want to volunteer to do this so be it. Tacking it on to a house purchase is no better than all the non-sense that gets tacked onto otherwise good federal legislation.
    I adamantly believe sellers should have the right to sell as they wish.

I'll present the other side if this coin. How many deed restrictions exist to protect a family owned lot from having a pig farm or something else undesirable next to it vs those used to serve the interest of corporate America? And no, I have little sympathy for big businesses that use their resources to influence the markets in their benefit.
    Everything you do in life, work, food, shelter, is from a corporation. That is the world we live in today.

Great, but another example of shifting the market in their favor. They then dress it up as good for the consumer.
    Many believe it is good for the consumers.

That's unfortunate that they wish to leverage that control over their neighbors. We used to celebrate individualism, now we go to great lengths to make everyone the same. If 80% of the group can't agree on doing a thing together, that thing probably shouldn't be done in the first place. Even at 80%, you're still forcing the other 20% to do something they did not want to.
    Individualism is best expressed with enough space that your individualism doesn’t impact my individualism.

I don't think the usual suspects are trying to spin HOA like/dislike as much as they do gun, climate, and other political hot topics. I'm also skeptical of the market when it doesn't readily offer an alternative. Yes you can go seek out an older home or a plot out in the woods, but both of these options have opportunity cost associated with them preventing a direct alternative.
    I just keep wondering why the alternatives do not exist In significant numbers. I expressed my thoughts as to why the market is the way it is, but you didn’t see it that way and suggest it is just corporate greed.

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    My 2 experiences with HOA's were both pretty negative, 1 safety wise and 1 was just funny (to me, not them).

1. Rented a house in an HOA sub division for about 7 years. Simple "rules", didn't bat an eye when I would work 2 weekends in a row and not mow my yard. They also ran a nice little community pool with a lifeguard and standard safety rules (no diving, no running, no glass containers and no alcohol). That was the first 5 years. About mid year 6 the board changed hands. Immediately got rid of the lifeguard ("too expensive"). As soon as people realized the lifeguards were gone, out came the alcohol and broken glass all over. My daughter was disappointed that she could no longer go there. We moved at the end of the 7th year.

2. Moved from that rental house into this one (purchased, not renting). The following summer I was hanging an antenna wire between 2 trees for one of my ham radios. Plenty of space since I have a couple acres. I'm about 1/2 way done when a female (sorry, can't call her a lady) came up into my yard where I was working screaming at the top of her lungs wanting to know what the h*ll I thought I was doing, what the f**k is that s**t between the trees, etc. I calmly informed her that it was a type of ham radio antenna and that I was putting it up so I could use it. That really set her off, started screaming about HOA violations, fines and getting a lien on my house. After about 15 minutes of her rant I was done. I explained (beligerantly) in no uncertain terms that her f'ing HOA is limited to her neighborhood and my property is not a part of it, and that she needed to leave before she pissed me off. Never heard a word after that even after installing a 35' antenna tower in the back yard.

So yes, I hate HOAs and will never own a house where there is one.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    A choice isn't take this or die, be homeless and unemployable. That's not a choice at all. If it is, I hope one day you get that choice.
    Oh wow, you stood up to family? That's exactly like getting something other than honorable discharge which limits your job potential to almost none.
    Vaxxes are a part of enlistment, that's been established. Covid vax seems to be a bit too far, but look at the fed now. I'm not surprised one bit.
    Yes, I've had friends experience HOA madness and their's started innocent enough. None of them ever want an HOA neighborhood again.
    Choose better neighborhoods. Neighborhoods (and cities) change over time.
    You seriously didn't see the context about outlawing HOAs. Sorry, not worth explaining it because I can't break it down Barney style enough that was the joke.

Thanks for trying.
    Don't buy in a HOA. It's listed in the home listing, you get a copy of the covenants and have to sign that you'll agree to them. NOT hard to do.
    Because I do not believe a person has a right to dictate what takes place on someone else's property. Whether they used to own it or not. If someone wants to control what happens on a piece of property they need to own it.

I've proposed modifications to the current system which would allow for more freedom of choice for homeowners. That isn't acceptable to you because you know they would fail and again, you've admitted as much in this thread.
    No person is dictating, they've all agreed to it.
    Love to see your "better than" come out in the daylight.

If some people weren't so pretentious and snooty and had some form of meaning or substance to their lives they wouldn't be worried about the placement of a basketball court at the neighbor's house or an American flag hung out front.

I guess in the end the world needs those people too. If we're gonna tolerate them I suppose we'd best appease them. HOAs it is I reckon.
    Don't buy in a HOA. I was allowed a basketball hoop and an American flag, never got a letter when I put the Trump flag out either!
    Everything you do in life, work, food, shelter, is from a corporation. That is the world we live in today.
    100%, no way around it aside from figuring out how to win with the corporate system.
    I just keep wondering why the alternatives do not exist In significant numbers. I expressed my thoughts as to why the market is the way it is, but you didn’t see it that way and suggest it is just corporate greed.
    Yep, if there truly was a large market for this, someone would capitalize on it and cash in...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Can you not rationally discuss a topic without getting personal? I bet those corporations that build homes wish they could make it “take this or die, be homeless and unemployable”.

I, for one, am glad they have the option not to be in an HOA, and glad I have the option to have one. Win-Win.

Thanks for trying.
    I see posts saying others should not have options you don’t approve of…

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom