• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can agree with the capital point, that is what put most small builders out of business. When I reference economies of scale I am thinking digging for basements or foundations. The excavator comes in and does twenty lots before they pack up and go in many affordable neighborhoods. Same with home sewer lines and other lot infrastructure.
    Why? HOA/no-HOA shouldn't have any impact on this. A neighborhood built without an HOA will have the same needs.
    We have already established that developers do not seem to want to build neighborhoods without an HOA. I am still puzzled as to what they get from it if my suggestions are not correct? Most of the builders I know of focus group the heck out of their target market on everything involved. I have a hard time believing that if significant numbers of their target market objected to an HOA they all would just ignore that.
    Oh I have little doubt that the defining factors are maximizing profit for the developer and the least expensive homes for the consumer. I'd be willing to pay some percentage more to be rid of an HOA but I'm also pretty sure those of us who would do that will be the minority. Thus we don't get the option. It's also a higher risk for little/no reward on the developer end thus the lack of option.
    Many know how you feel, they just want a house out in the country on an acre and even if they find one government will not let them build on just an acre. Then, if the property has been split before many counties will not allow another split, they require a mini-plat which is a small subdivision.

And now, because of federal mandates they likely will be building fewer simple subdivisions of just similar homes and folks will have two and maybe three HOA’s because there will be a retail section, an apartment section, then various homes sections all in the neighborhood. There will be the Main HOA that is responsible for the entrances and perimeter, the second HOA would be the section of the whole you live in, and a possible third is the amenities HOA, or possibly a grounds maintenance HOA.

The days of developers just plopping down homes in a field are gone.
    No arguments here.
    If you think it bad now just wait a few years, it will be impossible…
    Thus the reason I believe the HOA craze needs some limits.

Ask those selling the plots of land.

My guess is the developers will buy a large number of acres at a higher price per acre than the little guy who just wants a few acres.

I can't blame the sellers. Why not just do one deal for a higher per acre price (that's less likely to fall through), vs a lot of smaller deals.

All the undeveloped land in Marion and the donut counties will be spoken for soon. That's why we moved further out. Why move to a smaller town, only for it to grow and fill in within a few years?
    Agree with most of this. At least it only took us 1600 posts to finally agree that an HOA is practically unavoidable if one wants a modern/new home in a location that isn't out in the woods.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Agree with most of this. At least it only took us 1600 posts to finally agree that an HOA is practically unavoidable if one wants a modern/new home in a location that isn't out in the woods.
    I knew that from the get go. It's new and HOA or old and no HOA. Like I said earlier, my HOA subdivision was surrounded by plenty of nice, older homes. Larger lots, no HOA but still well maintained. They took longer to sell then the newer with HOA (days on the market stats don't lie). Different strokes for different folks. Maybe it's the newer, shinier house. Maybe it's knowing their neighbor can't have a boat or RV in their driveway (that would barely fit, btw). Personally, I think it's a mix of both.

The majority of 20/30 somethings want newer with a HOA (I have plenty of friends and family in that age group - that's what 90% of them want).

You can still buy land in the near Indy suburbs and build, that would not be HOA, but it's getting tougher to find. I'd suggest moving as far from the city as you can realistically move, but that's just me (the city is going to keep pushing outwards and will be out your backdoor before you know it)...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Better buy some land of your own before that happens! They aren't making any more of it.
    Once they own enough of it they'll just push the values through the roof and obtain the remainder through the eventual tax sales. It's a neat, and perfectly legal scheme that works great which is why I like to voice my opinion against these types of things.

Eventually, HOAs will be actual associations of the few remaining home owners forced to try to band together and prevent the extinction of private ownership.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Once they own enough of it they'll just push the values through the roof and obtain the remainder through the eventual tax sales. It's neat, and perfectly legal scheme that works great.
    Figure out how to invest, diversify, and work to be able to afford that property tax nut. Find a way to lower your tax liability (think Classified Forest or other ways).

Or get the right folks in the legislative branch to resolve it (I can dream, right).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Figure out how to invest, diversify, and work to be able to afford that property tax nut. Find a way to lower your tax liability (think Classified Forest or other ways).

Or get the right folks in the legislative branch to resolve it (I can dream, right).
    I see a pit of filth I prefer to avoid getting into it. I don't want to swim in those waters, I don't want my future hanging on imaginary money which exists solely on computers and can be wiped away at the stroke of a button. I am not content within the system our society has ended up with.

I'm not here looking for advice on how to survive or better my situation. I'm not ignorant of how the world works. I didn't end up with what I have by accident and there damned sure wasn't anyone handing it over to me.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I see a pit of filth I prefer to avoid getting into it. I don't want to swim in those waters, I don't want my future hanging on imaginary money which exists solely on computers and can be wiped away at the stroke of a button. I am not content within the system our society has ended up with.
    Welcome to 2024.
    I'm not here looking for advice on how to survive or better my situation. I'm not ignorant of how the world works. I didn't end up with what I have by accident and there damned sure wasn't anyone handing it over to me.
    Sounds good, I wasn't handed anything either.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I don't know how that statement could be confusing.

At that point they'll take on a completely different meaning and will actually have a legitimate use.
    It's a long road to go before private home ownership isn't a thing and IMO we have much bigger fish to fry before that issue is even on the horizon.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I see this when I read that. The lawyer from Idiocracy…

View attachment 365057

Take it or leave it is a choice.

If a seller has the right to sell any rights in the bundle separately now and after you get your way he could not he clearly lost rights.

If a buyer and a seller have the right to agree on the terms of sale today and after you get your way they cannot you clearly took their rights for your own selfish reasons…
    My selfish reasons? That’s pure spin. You sound like a Democrat. The guy buying it would likely rather not have to concede his rights away.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Best to ignore the little things until they get out of control. Go along to get along. I get it.
    Imo we're well down the road to out of control. I didn't say ignore it, I said elect those that can change it. I'm open to ideas, until then, I found a way to reduce my liability which I'm good with.

But that's for the property tax thread, another day. Right now, :cheers: .

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My selfish reasons? That’s pure spin. You sound like a Democrat. The guy buying it would likely rather not have to concede his rights away.
    Just because you are buying a 69 Mustang doesn’t mean the owner must sell you the original factory wheels. Yes, SELFISH reasons that you want what you want like a little kid. You are doing everything but huffing “it ain’t fair”.

The owner has every right to do with the property they wish, sell the mineral rights, air rights, and covenants and restrictions that create an HOA. Heck an owner can do all that on one property.

You are welcome your opinion but it is retarded because it takes owners rights away…

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom