Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dammit, I wasn't going to participate in this thread anymore.

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.gif
    I hear the sound the tube makes at the bank's drive-thru teller. Then thooomp! Yep. That's DD. Getting sucked in again.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    vernier
    noun

1/ a short scale made to slide along the divisions of a graduated instrument for indicating parts of divisions

2/ a small auxiliary device used with a main device to obtain fine adjustment

3/ any of two or more small supplementary rocket engines or gas nozzles on a missile or a rocket vehicle for making fine adjustments in the speed or course or controlling the attitude
    called also vernier engine. :whistle:
    I'm going with 3. That's way cooler. That's what I want my house sided with.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Like I said. An HOA essentially operates as a private government.

It isn't "like a government".

It is "a government".

government /gŭv′ərn-mənt/

noun​

1. The act or process of governing, especially the control and administration of public policy in a political unit.
    2. The office, function, or authority of a governing individual or body.
    3. Exercise of authority in a political unit; rule.
    4. The agency or apparatus through which a governing individual or body functions and exercises authority.
    5. A governing body or organization, as.
    6. The ruling political party or coalition of political parties in a parliamentary system.
    7. The cabinet in a parliamentary system.
    8. The persons who make up a governing body.
    9. A system or policy by which a political unit is governed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    With the way the current laws are setup, yep, that would be LEGAL. The buyer doesn't have to buy.

Yep.

Just like McDonald's or Starbucks can get a deed restriction on their property (or a property they lease space in), a great way to keep competition out.
    What if all the farmers and other land owners got together and decide, **** it. Let's sell our land to developers and stipulate that all bylaws for HOA's must include language that requires all HOA board members attend meetings unclothed. Take it or leave it. It's the only property you can buy if you want to develop land.

Can you imagine @printcraft being on every association board? :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Can we all agree that no one actually wants to take people's rights away? That it's mostly a disagreement on how to handle conflicting rights?

Or, we could agree that everyone actually wants to take people's rights away. Or we could just not agree on anything because the other side is poopy.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Spin it/justify it however you want, it's still a large corporation dictating how people live. Yes, as you continue to point out, a lot of people accept this. That doesn't make it right, justified, liked, etc... It is simply what we have at the moment.

This is the truth. I even gave Mike that I could see benefits of an HOA. But we don't have a genuine HOA structure as it is. Everything is decided by the developer by the time the homeowners get any say. The biggest ticket items I see highlighted for an HOA are:
    • Community Maintenance
    • No renters/transients
    • No junk vehicles
    • Keep your place maintained
    While the last two are a bit subjective and would need definition, the first two could very likely be agreed upon by a group of homeowners. Depending on the demographic of the homeowners some of the other things could likely be also agreed upon. A social experiment for sure but dare I say that communities of like minded people might arise where we can live in close proximity to people we generally like, enjoy our hobbies, and not be hassled. I wonder if we could get gun owner communities with a neighborhood range together. I could also see the potential for an entire renter community where most of the homes are rented. HOAs as they exist are very one size fits all since all the developers generally have the same desires.

There's plenty of bad law on the books.
    Actually, I can see the developer laying the basic framework for a few common sense rules. It would be difficult to try to get each buyer to agree after the purchase, especially when there is money involved

But Ideally, when the developer turns the HOA over to the neighborhood all of the rules and regulations should be required to receive a vote of affirmation. Perhaps a 2/3 majority would need to approve, certainly it should be more than a simple majority. By then the residents would have had some experience living under those rules and a majority affirmative vote would give them a say in the rules that they did not have initially. Somehow I think standardized mailbox heights, limited palettes of trim colors and work vehicle restrictions would be unlikely to survive - and the people who just had to have more rules and restrictions could move somewhere else if the couldn't get the votes to support them

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Can we all agree that no one actually wants to take people's rights away? That it's mostly a disagreement on how to handle conflicting rights?

Or, we could agree that everyone actually wants to take people's rights away. Or we could just not agree on anything because the other side is poopy.
    C definitely C. Especially if it's on your neighbor's lawn.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Like I said. An HOA essentially operates as a private government.
    With the ultimate backing of the legitimate government.
    Want to hear of a fun place? The entire town is a HOA. Well actually they don't even care about the owner part, they just call it a Home Association. And the board has a town council liason. And yes it works just like you can imagine. Heck the "HA" website is hosted on the town's .gov page.

Look up Ogden Dunes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So you can vet your other neighbors guests? How about near adult children? Contractors? Nothing has materially changed.

And some of the people probably bought into the neighborhood because it explicitly bans letting your dog crap in other people's yards. That one I could get behind.

If it is stupid and intrusive, HOAs have already though of it. Not only must you respect their authoritah but you get to pay for the privilege

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why stop at HOAs? I'll wager a bet most mortgages INGOers have are for a primary residence and they "prohibits rentals (during the first year), therefore it controls who you may have in your house."
    The loan originator doesn't really give a sh*t if you buy a property you want to rent the next day, they just charge more because their risk profile on such a property is different, with a higher probability of default. That's the predominant reason for the rider that you speak of

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If by "those people" you surely meant the time when it took IMPD 3+ hours to show up to a home break in? Then yep, those guys.
    Maybe if you paid more property tax they could hire more officers and response times would go down. Do you think IMPD was just killing time at the donut shop or is it possible there were other calls where life and limb were more at risk

I think its called triage

Edit: I think there is an ACAB thread languishing somewhere in INGO obscurity that you could probably resuscitate, but I would caution that INGO is pretty much pro LEO and it might not turn out like you want

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ogden Dunes

:n00b:
    Honestly, if it wasn't for the HO and the bat **** craziness of some of the residents I'd love to live there.

Fun fact, they have the highest rate of Lyme disease in the state. Quite a few years ago they contacted the state about the deer population, state came in and went WTF. The deer they checked as an example looked to be 1-2 yr old, they were 5-7 by their teeth. State was going to send in people to take care of the problem, the residents freaked. They wanted the state to tranq the deer and spay/neuter them. Yes I'm serious. Not sure what ended up happening.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom