• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I've been thinking, doesn't your HOA have control over what happens inside the home?

It prohibits rentals, therefore it controls who you may have in your house.

It prohibits home based businesses that require a license. Which controls what you may do inside your house.

I hope you don't really like having guns in your home. But honestly I wouldn't want that to happen to you. Now if they passed a restriction on ICE vehicles and only electric, straight electric none of those hybrids, well...
    Why stop at HOAs? I'll wager a bet most mortgages INGOers have are for a primary residence and they "prohibits rentals (during the first year), therefore it controls who you may have in your house."

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have a serious question for you. Is the real problem that he rents it? Or that he had the temerity to park slightly in front of your driveway? You did post this after all before you started in on vetting tenants or property values.

I'm guessing it's the second.

All of the above? I am winning this one regardless, I have a cousin that works for Fox59 and honestly suing my own HOA sounds fun if I don’t get my way.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'd say if HOA's have any value at all, it's in maintaining common areas and paying neighborhood bills. But a problem with that is when there's a lot of common stuff. Some neighborhoods have common septic. Why, I'm not sure, because someone always ends up living next to the shitter. And it stinks. Neighborhoods often have playgrounds, or park areas, trails, swimming pool, etcetera.

So, upkeep on that stuff has to be paid for by someone. And if you're going to require dues, there needs to be some way to enforce them. So then you start taking about having to have a an attorney to handle legal issues and whatnot. And next thing you know, it becomes complicated enough that it's functioning essentially like a parallel private government. At that point you might as well turn it over to local government and just pay for all that through taxes.

Property taxes.

:rofl:
    My old neighborhood didn't have anything but the signage out front and a pond I wasn't allowed access to (the people who had lots on it paid higher dues) so my default thought goes to that situation.

I agree, neighborhood with amenities which require maintenance do need HOAs. I don't see any reason why the covenants couldn't be limited only that after a set period of time.

The biggest problem is that not everyone's lives stay the same. Peopl have kids and those kids have interests. People find new hobbies that require space and parking and storage, etc.. The Karen covenants do more to **** people off than any good they serve after the first decade of a neighborhood's existence in my experience.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    All of the above? I am winning this one regardless, I have a cousin that works for Fox59 and honestly suing my own HOA sounds fun if I don’t get my way.
    Do the covenants and/or bylaws require the board to act? I'm going to guess not and they have discretion.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So you are advocating taking the right away from landowners to sell as they want by forcing them to satisfy your own desire to have complete control of land? Isn’t that taking the rights of an owner to sell and a buyer to buy as they wish and agree.
    I mean. You keep asking that and you keep getting the same answers back. Maybe change stuff up. Maybe look at it a different way.

For example. I think the problem here is that some of us are coming at this in terms of natural rights, vs rights created by laws per se.

If we think about natural rights in terms of property, and what kinds of things we can do with our property, it seems to me that a person has the right to do what he wants with his property (with exceptions relating to harm). So, when that person sells, trades, loses in a poker game, loses a peeing contest, whatever, that person no longer has any rights to the property.

So when a property is transferred by any of those means, the new owner has the same rights to that property that the previous owner held.

That's different from the law defining a concept of component rights where the different things one has a right to do with his property are all separable from the whole, and transferable individually. As I said before, I think it that's not all that great for society. Next thing you know, if you want to own and do what the **** you want with your newly purchased property, you'll have to track down dozens of people and bargain for their chunk of the property rights.

And whether or not you agree with my opinion on natural rights, your way requires too many ****ing lawyers to deal with all those ****ing people owning different pieces of those ****ing property rights. Let's put some lawyers out of business! End that nonsense. ChatGpt is gonna put them out of work anyway. Let's get an early start.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A guy in the country has twenty acres he wants to sell and move to Florida. He has been friends with his neighbors for forty years and doesn’t want to leave them with a bad neighbor so he puts deed restrictions on the property. Maybe is is no hogs, no junkyard, no commercial business, whatever his concerns are he can create a covenant and deed restriction.

I want to buy twenty acres, I’m not raising hogs, starting a junkyard or a commercial business, those covenants do not bother me in the least, so I agree with him and buy with his deed restrictions and covenants. I may even get a better price because some may not like those restrictions.

What you propose would take the sellers and buyers rights away to sell and buy as they wish…
    Why do you hate hog farmers!? Why do you want to take away their rights to buy property and do with it what they want?

I know why.

You like lawyers. Admit it. You like them and want more of them in the world.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    ByAll of the above? I am winning this one regardless, I have a cousin that works for Fox59 and honestly suing my own HOA sounds fun if I don’t get my way.
    You know, I would hate to be your neighbor. Guy parks slightly (imo very slightly) in front of your I'm guessing 2 car drive and rather than go out and ask him to move like a normal person would you take a picture and post it online, state you are going to let your dog crap in his yard, and are trying to get his house taken away, and if you don't get your way your going to sue. That's not just Karen behavior, that is beyond even next level Karen ****. It's like next level Karen crossed with a 2 yr old with a little meth head thrown in the mix.

ETA I forgot about the "recon", you can add some Gladys Kravits to that mix. When you saw the car did you yell for Abner to come quick?

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You are the one proposing taking freedom away…

As if your way doesn't.

I mean, I wouldn't think of your position as being absurd as I do if you at least approached it as an issue of preference in a situation with conflicting rights. You don't even acknowledge that your way restricts freedom too. Instead you act like everyone with a different preference only has that preference because they're too ignorant to understand.

This thread could have been over in less than a page, and we'd all be in the "pizza" debate stage of the discussion, if you acknowledge the concerns on the other side. Can you even do that? I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    You know, I would hate to be your neighbor. Guy parks slightly (imo very slightly) in front of your I'm guessing 2 car drive and rather than go out and ask him to move like a normal person would you take a picture and post it online, state you are going to let your dog crap in his yard, and are trying to get his house taken away, and if you don't get your way your going to sue. That's not just Karen behavior, that is beyond even next level Karen ****. It's like next level Karen crossed with a 2 yr old with a little meth head thrown in the mix.

ETA I forgot about the "recon", you can add some Gladys Kravits to that mix. When you saw the car did you yell for Abner to come quick?

I wake up early just to **** other people’s days up. :ingo: That’s the beauty of the current situation, the HOA is a corporate one appointed by the developer so I can push them even easier.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Let's ask Dean in a few months, I'm sure his opinion is different...
    Well, having a neighbor who's running his home as an airbnb is a problem. Maybe the HOA can do something about it. How long will that take? I think HOA's aren't the most effective way to fix that problem. You have to put a lien on their house, and go through all that court ****. To have had the area zoned to exclude airbnb's, would likely have taken care of it sooner. The process can still take months but keep doing it and it's a criminal issue.

Or. Maybe you take matters in your own hands and tell the owner that his airbnb tennents are gonna start find the house inconvenient to rent.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Playing word play you can tell me I’m wrong. To me a judge dismissing a case pre trial is not accepting it but you define for you.

He listed the various states the cars parked near, I just picked one. So there.
    So there? Is that the level of discourse we're doing now?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I wake up early just to **** other people’s days up. :ingo: That’s the beauty of the current situation, the HOA is a corporate one appointed by the developer so I can push them even easier.
    You know, I believe you.

I'd much rather have the neighbor I have across the street. With his RV parked in the drive, big *** pole barn on one of his 3 lots that he runs his business out of, and a rental on the third lot. And has hired a live band for parties. Who will go out of his way to help someone.

First time I met him was when I was push mowing my yard because my rider broke down. Hot day I in June, next thing I know here he comes on his rider and without saying a word gets to work mowing. After he was done told me if I needed it it was parked in his shed with the key in it, just come get it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Or. Maybe you take matters in your own hands and tell the owner that his airbnb tennents are gonna start find the house inconvenient to rent.
    My brother faced this issue with a property he purchased in rural Indiana and built a cabin for partial use as an AirBnB. The neighbors were none to appreciative of him building to begin with and really began showing out once they learned he was renting it out. This is rural property, five acres in the woods, no HOA.

A tactically positioned exterior garage took care of their blaring spotlight and eloquently worded spray painted signs they had erected. They didn't want to look at a really nice looking brand new cabin and now they don't have to. Problem solved, no HOA required. :cool:

Wait a second....Hey Mike, I think I may have found someone who would like to hear from you!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    With so many that hate their HOA it should be a piece of cake to find reasonably current stories…
    With no temporal restriction spelled out, I did not search a specific time interval and you got first page general search - which met all of your original criteria, there, goal post mover

With all the (claimed) love for HOAs, how come you never post testimonials?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You know, I believe you.

I'd much rather have the neighbor I have across the street. With his RV parked in the drive, big *** pole barn on one of his 3 lots that he runs his business out of, and a rental on the third lot. And has hired a live band for parties. Who will go out of his way to help someone.

First time I met him was when I was push mowing my yard because my rider broke down. Hot day I in June, next thing I know here he comes on his rider and without saying a word gets to work mowing. After he was done told me if I needed it it was parked in his shed with the key in it, just come get it.
    I'll go out on a limb and say you don't live on a 0.19ac lot type subdivision like Dean does??

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think where I would side depends on more facts not in evidence. Is the airbnb really a nuisance? Or is this just seething resentment because someone is doing something with their property, against the rules, that otherwise isn't bothering anyone?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom