• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The reason I would not support this is one could never get agreement of the people, that is why the process whereby the owner of the property [developer] sets the restrictions and HOA in place and buyers can buy or not.
    Well, at least you DO understand the situation. You just admitted that, given the chance, most neighborhoods would not vote to implement an HOA

So, like communism, they are an idea so good it has to be mandatory

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, at least you DO understand the situation. You just admitted that, given the chance, most neighborhoods would not vote to implement an HOA

So, like communism, they are an idea so good it has to be mandatory
    "The people" that would have to agree are obviously not qualified to agree or disagree. That's why the choice should be left up to those who know better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dammit, I wasn't going to participate in this thread anymore.

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.gif

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'll go out on a limb and say you don't live on a 0.19ac lot type subdivision like Dean does??
    Depending on lot, I've got 2/3 acre between my two lots. Neighbor I mentioned has 3 lots, each right at .2 acre. My 6 (yes 6, 3 on each side touching my property) next door neighbors have between .12-.25 acre each. Block away there is a what when built mansion on 2.5 acres on the water. Average size for most on my block is about .2 acre.

So yes, except just a wee bit older. A century give or take older. Actually most were probably built in the in mid 1900s. A quick random check shows 1945 on that one. I'd consider where I live a basic standard in town neighborhood.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I think where I would side depends on more facts not in evidence. Is the airbnb really a nuisance? Or is this just seething resentment because someone is doing something with their property, against the rules, that otherwise isn't bothering anyone?

I'm guessing the latter, for multiple reasons.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The only way to achieve not allowing a landowner to create an HOA is through the use of force thereby taking the landowners rights. Can you not see that the only way to get what you want is to take a landowners rights?
    Is that actually true? Couldn't the farmer who sells the developer the prime property place a deed restriction that HOAs are not allowed? After all, that would seem to be some of your kind of freedom. Or maybe the landowner could insist on a certain lot size, or even specify what colors of siding and trim the developer implement restrictions for

After all, the seller of a property can do whatever he wants, yes?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You have no "right of time." You have the right to pursue happiness. If restricting your own property rights makes you happy, knock yourself out. Freedom is a simple concept, no matter how much you try to twist it into a pretzel to make it mean a group of control freaks getting together to monitor the height of the grass in their neighbor's yard in the hopes of squeezing a few dollars more out of their pathetic cookie-cutter vinyl boxes on postage stamp sized lots.
    Don't forget the power to 'tax' the commoners, surely HOA board members are kings in their own right

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The home in the neighborhood where I was on the board was a starter neighborhood. .15 acre lots. Vinyl sided homes with brick vernier. I just looked at my old home and neighborhood on google earth street view. 35 years later it's a ********. But there are a few homes in there that are well kept.
    vernier
    noun

1/ a short scale made to slide along the divisions of a graduated instrument for indicating parts of divisions

2/ a small auxiliary device used with a main device to obtain fine adjustment

3/ any of two or more small supplementary rocket engines or gas nozzles on a missile or a rocket vehicle for making fine adjustments in the speed or course or controlling the attitude
    called also vernier engine. :whistle:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Is that actually true? Couldn't the farmer who sells the developer the prime property place a deed restriction that HOAs are not allowed? After all, that would seem to be some of your kind of freedom. Or maybe the landowner could insist on a certain lot size, or even specify what colors of siding and trim the developer implement restrictions for

Uh oh.....

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

With the way the current laws are setup, yep, that would be LEGAL. The buyer doesn't have to buy.

Aren't you telling us that only the seller has full property rights and can restrict the buyer any way he wishes? Seems like the 'full' property rights of the buyer have already been taken away
    Yep.

Just like McDonald's or Starbucks can get a deed restriction on their property (or a property they lease space in), a great way to keep competition out.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The answer was given. Read…
    Your answer was incorrect.

In urban areas, a small lot size would be something like 0.1 to 0.15 acres. In suburban areas, 0.15 to .25. In rural areas anything under an acre I would say is small. If it's in a rural subdivision, it really depends on how affluent it is. I've seen subdivisions with 5+ acre lots. But the question was about small lots. 3 to 5 acres isn't small for a subdivision even if it's a rural one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom