• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Many people want all the amenity's that many community's with HOA's offer.
    What most dont want is the maintenance that comes with putting a pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, a driving range, 9-18 hole golf course, horse barns and trails in there back yard.
    Or they live in a waterfront community and they dont live on the water, but the community has a few marina's where the home owner can keep his boat.
    And those that don't want it, don't need to buy in that specific neighborhood. Pretty simple solution for the haters.

My God, I'm in agreement with @Creedmoor!

Or if you're no longer "just starting out", like many in HOA neighborhoods with young kids are, you can afford to buy a place with it or build it yourself.

Thinking about the friends I have with young kids and the texts I get from the husbands... those guys should stay in their HOA managed neighborhoods. I can't tell you how many man cards I've almost revoked! :):

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Let’s go Brandon!
    Amen!
    Everyone's a troll. At least a little.

Except me. :D
    You sure? :lmfao:
    Support? I thought he tolerated it. :):
    Lol yep, tolerated then got the hell out of there as soon as he could! #karensgonnakaren.
    Thats what he does.
    Only on days ending in Y.
    It's worse than that, FireCat is lecturing us about how careful he is to do due diligence yada yada, but he doesn't address the issue that the restrictions he knows about at the time of purchase can change later and become more onerous to him - and the only due diligence that will compensate for that is to be able to predict the future
    They need a vote to pass changes. In 15 years, the only thing passed was a cap on the number of rental properties they'd allow (the way around it was it had to be owner occupied for at least a year).
    Then why is it so difficult to accept that other people have had 'first hand experience' that is at variance with your own. In that case, your default deflection seems to be that you are somehow smarter at making deals which is why you had no problems - couldn't possibly that you agreed with the Karens
    Or my HOA wasn't made up of Karens...
    Those people are free-riders. they want a pool available, but rather than just have one built for themselves, at their own expense, they want everyone to pay for it
    Free riders would be the one using a public pool, not a community/hoa pool that THEY pay for, just sayin...
    No, brave men did not lay down their lives in order to preserve your ability to trade your freedom for the supposed safety from having to rub elbows with people who don't share your prejudices

It is disgusting to invoke the ultimate sacrifice as justification for such
    So they didn't lay down their lives so people could have the freedom to make their own choices? Interesting.

No one is forced to live within a HOA, people have that choice because we have the freedom to do so.

Fly that flag! :patriot:
    Because people always believe research papers that confirm their bias, at least that was what I was told on INGO. Were you ever in a that the owners tried to disband? It is like insurance, nobody likes it but very few go without it…
    Wait, research papers aren't unbiased?! Never would have guessed that...
    That seems odd for any neighborhood built since 2010 to me but some developers have tried different strategies. Who owned the pool?
    May have started earlier than that (our last house was built in '02). We didn't use the amenities but we enjoyed the green space, and knew it would be a desirable neighborhood whenever we decided to sell (to those young families looking to move up from their starter home).

Turns out we were right!
    Actually most new home buyers generally have similar goals. One of the big draws to new homes is the human nature that this time I will not mess it up. They want appreciation and dream of the next home.
    100%... starter home, then a bigger home to raise your family in, and often times a smaller home when your kids are grown and have left the nest.
    It is ludicrous to not want an asset one owns to appreciate It is a system. A hypothetical, a couple bought a three bed home new in a subdivision they put their 3% down. They put their $5000 in the deal, and before COVID stupid, typically got 6% appreciation sell for $225,000 and now have $60,000 to do it again and may even be able to put 20% down on the next house and repeat the process, typically three to five times in a lifetime.
    Or buy the right home, try and stay in it long enough to pay the nut off, then move on or enjoy banking that mortgage payment.

2.png

Those folks want the stability of a managed neighborhood just like @firecadet613 said, they are playing the game that is laid out.
    Thanks for tagging me and bringing me back into this mess!

eNLUua.gif

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It is ludicrous to not want an asset one owns to appreciate It is a system. A hypothetical, a couple bought a three bed home new in a subdivision they put their 3% down. They put their $5000 in the deal, and before COVID stupid, typically got 6% appreciation sell for $225,000 and now have $60,000 to do it again and may even be able to put 20% down on the next house and repeat the process, typically three to five times in a lifetime.
    Yes but purchase prices have now also increased. So yes they got 6% more than when they purchased but they are going to have to pay that same 6% more on anything they buy. While our house has increased ~50% in the last 5 years we can't go get a bigger better house with that increase because that's more expensive too. The only thing we're seeing is increased property taxes.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yes but purchase prices have now also increased. So yes they got 6% more than when they purchased but they are going to have to pay that same 6% more on anything they buy. While our house has increased ~50% in the last 5 years we can't go get a bigger better house with that increase because that's more expensive too. The only thing we're seeing is increased property taxes.
    I believe a lot of the inflation is due to the money printed during and after covid, along with current property.

It's not just real estate, look at cars. A top end full size pickup which was 65-70k in 2019 is now pushing 100k...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    And those that don't want it, don't need to buy in that specific neighborhood. Pretty simple solution for the haters.
    This is pretty much what all of us that don't want a HOA have been saying this whole time.
    We don't want the Karen's telling us our grass is a 1/4 " to long or our trim is the wrong shade.
    We all believe when you buy something it's yours, so we don't buy a house in an HOA.
    How hard is it to understand that? Most of us don't care if you want to live in a HOA, I don't care if you want to live in a van down by the river.
    I'm not going to tell you how to live and I don't want you telling me how to.
    The thread title is "why do so many on ingo hate HOA's" and we've all said why.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This fails to account for the increase in downpayment buying power to move up that I laid out in the text. They started with a 3% downpayment and after five years had at least a 10%, if not 20% downpayment on their next house. Now if their incomes have stagnated or reduced then that changes things. If their incomes have risen typically over the five years they can qualify for a bigger mortgage with a higher downpayment to buy a bigger or more expensive house that also appreciated similarly to their own.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is pretty much what all of us that don't want a HOA have been saying this whole time.
    Many here have said covenants and HOA’s should not be allowed, so definitely not all are saying what you say.

We don't want the Karen's telling us our grass is a 1/4 " to long or our trim is the wrong shade.
    We all believe when you buy something it's yours, so we don't buy a house in an HOA.
    How hard is it to understand that? Most of us don't care if you want to live in a HOA, I don't care if you want to live in a van down by the river.
    We have people in the name of freedom wanting to curtail the freedom of a property owner setting up an HOA.

Good deal. Choices are great.

If that hate includes taking the rights of sellers to establish covenants and an HOA they are the ones taking freedoms away.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    BS...
    How hard is it to understand that?
    Then why is this circle jerk continuing? FYI - thanks to property taxes, it's never yours!
    Most of us don't care if you want to live in a HOA, I don't care if you want to live in a van down by the river.

I experienced none of what you described when I lived in a HOA.

What thread will @Ingomike start next?
    I've learned so much in his threads...

Dew on the grass isn't dew.
    Nocturnal twilight is a thing.
    DST really gets people wound up (even more then HOAs).
    Cyclists really **** people off.

Last edited:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Do you have neighbors? If so how close?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    100' on the south, 120' to the north 1 across the street, 1 cati corner (across the street from the south neighbor) my back yard butts up to the people on the block behind me.
    Houses on my side of town are +- 100 ' apart
    You must be blessed with good neighbors. You could easily have a neighbor that won't pay for trash pick-up and lits off his burn barrel every Saturday afternoon. Or your neighbor behinds you decides to breed coon dogs that bark all night. Maybe the across the street neighbor drives a semi and like to leave it idle all night.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    100' on the south, 120' to the north 1 across the street, 1 cati corner (across the street from the south neighbor) my back yard butts up to the people on the block behind me.
    Houses on my side of town are +- 100 ' apart
    No need for a HOA there...

Here's where you need a HOA...with 75' wide lots...

Screenshot_20240626_170610_Google Earth.jpg

Just picked a random house in that subdivision (with a HOA). Zillow says it's $401k for the 3bd, 2.5bath, 2500sf home.... pretty typical for what I've been discussing in this thread...

Screenshot_20240626_171522_Chrome.jpg

Not my old neighborhood, but this one has
    • Pool
    • Clubhouse
    • Playground
    • Tennis courts
    • Sand volleyball court
    With HOA dues of $43/mo.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

View attachment 361983

Just picked a random house in that subdivision (with a HOA). Zillow says it's $401k for the 3bd, 2.5bath, 2500sf home.... pretty typical for what I've been discussing in this thread...
    My house. No HOA.

1719436440502.png

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yep, an older established neighborhood with mature trees (similar to where I grew up). It'll attract a different buyer than what I posted above, where they want the fancy house, amenities, and will likely hire a lawn service.

Side note - when my son was 14, we loaned him $100 to buy a push lawn mower. He paid us back in no time and was booked up mowing yards in our neighborhood (sometimes even using their mower)!

He was amazed how many lawns he mowed, with driveways full of nice cars... but they paid him enough he bought his first car in cash before he was 16!

You'll likely never have an issue, unlike whoever buys the home above, where the lots are small and close together. Chances are they will have a neighbor or two who are not ideal (or they could get lucky like I did and have amazing neighbors).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, an older established neighborhood with mature trees (similar to where I grew up). It'll attract a different buyer than what I posted above, where they want the fancy house, amenities, and will likely hire a lawn service.

Side note - when my son was 14, we loaned him $100 to buy a push lawn mower. He paid us back in no time and was booked up mowing yards in our neighborhood (sometimes even using their mower)!

He was amazed how many lawns he mowed, with driveways full of nice cars... but they paid him enough he bought his first car in cash before he was 16!

You'll likely never have an issue, unlike whoever buys the home above, where the lots are small and close together. Chances are they will have a neighbor or two who are not ideal (or they could get lucky like I did and have amazing neighbors).
    Yep, this house is actually where I grew up. I cut the yard to the right (east) of mine with a push mower starting at about age 8. Started out at 2 bucks. Took me about 2 hours. Dad told me that "$1 an hour is pretty good money for an 8 year old!" :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

View attachment 361983

View attachment 361988

Not my old neighborhood, but this one has
    • Pool
    • Clubhouse
    • Playground
    • Tennis courts
    • Sand volleyball court
    With HOA dues of $43/mo.
    What are the chances the percentage of those that say they would never live in a house that close to the neighbors, would also say HOA’s shouldn’t even exist, would be under 100%?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom