Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wtf discrimination dude?!

Private property should be used by the public?! Bull buddy, bull on that....
    You are being obtuse. It seems obvious from your posting that you have a 'keep the riff-raff out' kind of mentality about the 'amenities'

Generally, in the days before HOAs apparently became a thing, you would own the pool and a tennis court or two because you built them on your property or bought a house that already had them. Paid a bit more up front but no 'dues' in perpetuity and you could paint your trim any color you wished

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I couldn't tell you. I'm for giving people a choice to join a HOA if they so chose, isn't that why so many gave their lives in defense of this nation - so we have the freedom to make choices like that (and others).
    No, brave men did not lay down their lives in order to preserve your ability to trade your freedom for the supposed safety from having to rub elbows with people who don't share your prejudices

It is disgusting to invoke the ultimate sacrifice as justification for such

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK, I'm being partly serious/partly funny here, or as I like to call it, "A day that ends in Y." My comments are in blue.

I think it's more of a click-bait headline. It worked.

HOA board member caught on video pooping on neighbor’s house

Lets hear it for Hancock County!! This is not OK.
    NEW PALESTINE, Ind. — A retiree and board member of a neighborhood HOA is accused of defecating not once, but twice on the side of a neighbor’s house and was denying the act until confronted with video evidence.

Court documents reveal how a homeowner in New Palestine went out to mow his lawn on May 29 only to find a pile of human feces beside his air conditioning unit.

Does twice make you a "serial pooper"??
    After the second pooping was perpetrated on May 29, the homeowner contacted police and handed over surveillance footage that captured the serial pooper in the act. In footage shared to FOX59/CBS4, a woman is clearly seen dropping her pants in broad daylight and squatting beside an air conditioning unit to empty her bowels.

Just for the record, we hold our HOA board to higher standards. I don't think the covenants specifically forbids this, but it's one of those things that everyone should know is not OK.
    Seriously, seems like being on the HOA board is irrelevant. What's next? Religious Trump supporting Veteran poops in the yard? More like "old hippie Biden voter" or part of the pro-Hamas crowd with the unauthorized pooping.

Deputies ended up pegging the serial pooper as a retiree who not only lived in the area but was a sitting board member on the neighborhood HOA.

Obviously doesn't watch On Patrol Live. "That's not my butt!!"
    Documents reveal how when confronted, the 74-year-old woman denied defecating against the man’s house. Once confronted with the video evidence, she allegedly changed her tune and fessed up to doing the deed.

It's the "when ya gotta go, you gotta go" defense.
    According to the court documents, the woman told deputies she had no vendetta against the homeowner and simply had to use the restroom.

Oh OK. An ongoing "issue" but don't know any of the board members or that "Poopin Annie Smith" was on the HOA board. An "issue" could be the FB Admin hasn't approved your request to join the neighborhood FB group. Oh hey! There is about to be a vacancy on the board, time to step up!
    The homeowner told FOX59/CBS4 that he does have an ongoing issue with the neighborhood HOA, though court documents show that he admitted to deputies that he did not know any members of the HOA personally and wasn’t aware she was an HOA member at the time of the incident.

Ah yes, a vacancy. Saves the trouble of a special meeting to remove this individual from the board.
    The woman has since reportedly stepped down from the neighborhood HOA.

Should've claimed to be demanding a cease-fire in Gaza. Not Marion or Monroe County, never mind.
    Court records reveal that she is charged with criminal trespass, criminal mischief and public nudity, all misdemeanor crimes.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You are being obtuse. It seems obvious from your posting that you have a 'keep the riff-raff out' kind of mentality about the 'amenities'

Generally, in the days before HOAs apparently became a thing, you would own the pool and a tennis court or two because you built them on your property or bought a house that already had them. Paid a bit more up front but no 'dues' in perpetuity and you could paint your trim any color you wished
    When was that?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    bull**** Mike, I posted research by Pew a few pages ago and in the survey a majority of people who were already in an HOA hated it

I'd look up what post number it was if I actually gave a ****
    Because people always believe research papers that confirm their bias, at least that was what I was told on INGO. Were you ever in a that the owners tried to disband? It is like insurance, nobody likes it but very few go without it…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I suspect if HOAs were less universal, and people had equivalent choices for one or the other, the non-HOA houses would likely sell faster

Not sure why peeps are so militantly in favor of something that exists solely to benefit the developer rather than them
    Neighborhoods with an HOA are generally more aesthetically pleasing than those without for the very reason that they generally require homeowners to keep up their maintenance. I believe there should be choices, neighborhood's that allow RV’s parked in the drive and activities like car restoration in the drive and neighborhoods for those that do not want that type thing. Does that only benefit the developer? If the covenants benefit the developer would it not be that many of those also benefit homeowners?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Those people are free-riders. they want a pool available, but rather than just have one built for themselves, at their own expense, they want everyone to pay for it
    If one does not want to do car restoration in the drive or park their boat and RV at the house what make them “free-riders” if they trade that away for a neighborhood pool. Are you guys saying that national building corporations are dumb? You are ridiculing the very things that these companies put in because their experience and research indicates that is the way to make more money. They even do it in down markets, when not building pools would reduce costs but they still do it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If one was very rich. Mostly even the rich just joined the country club. That is the value added that developers have taken over, even at entry level, new neighborhoods are like a small country clubs right in the neighborhood. People love that.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That is the value added that developers have taken over, even at entry level, new neighborhoods are like a small country clubs right in the neighborhood. People love that.
    It just isn't. My last neighborhood had a community pool, built by the developer, funded by dues and home sales, yet if you wanted to use the pool you had to pay another fee to get a pool pass. There was little value add from the HOA or the pool. It was definitely not a country club. A club is a group of people with common interests. A group of homeowners rarely have a lot of common interests, quite the opposite in fact, they simply happen to live nearby. The diversity should be celebrated and encouraged but HOA restrictions try to smash everyone into the same box under the guise of "Making your home more valuable." To be honest, none of us should want our homes to be more valuable. That will only lead to more expenses. It also doesn't help us to upsize or downsize as all houses tend to increase at the same rate, HOA or not. The biggest difference I see between HOA and not is that HOA homes are new and non-HOA neighborhoods are naturally older as they were built before developers figured out they could do that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    For central Indiana I would say mostly late 80’s was when they became a thing.
    Where I'm from, it was easily 75 to 120 years ago. And they are still very nice and desirable communities in and around Annapolis to live in. Two of my parents lived in one of those for better than 30 years and I don't recall them having complaints with the hoa.

Communities like,
    Sherwood Forest
    Downs of the Severn
    Harold Harbor
    Ulmstead Estates and many others.

And these communities sell from $250.000 to 6 million or so.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It just isn't. My last neighborhood had a community pool, built by the developer, funded by dues and home sales, yet if you wanted to use the pool you had to pay another fee to get a pool pass. There was little value add from the HOA or the pool. It was definitely not a country club.
    That seems odd for any neighborhood built since 2010 to me but some developers have tried different strategies. Who owned the pool?

A club is a group of people with common interests. A group of homeowners rarely have a lot of common interests, quite the opposite in fact, they simply happen to live nearby. The diversity should be celebrated and encouraged but HOA restrictions try to smash everyone into the same box under the guise of "Making your home more valuable."
    Actually most new home buyers generally have similar goals. One of the big draws to new homes is the human nature that this time I will not mess it up. They want appreciation and dream of the next home.

To be honest, none of us should want our homes to be more valuable. That will only lead to more expenses. It also doesn't help us to upsize or downsize as all houses tend to increase at the same rate, HOA or not. The biggest difference I see between HOA and not is that HOA homes are new and non-HOA neighborhoods are naturally older as they were built before developers figured out they could do that.
    It is ludicrous to not want an asset one owns to appreciate It is a system. A hypothetical, a couple bought a three bed home new in a subdivision they put their 3% down. They put their $5000 in the deal, and before COVID stupid, typically got 6% appreciation sell for $225,000 and now have $60,000 to do it again and may even be able to put 20% down on the next house and repeat the process, typically three to five times in a lifetime.

Those folks want the stability of a managed neighborhood just like @firecadet613 said, they are playing the game that is laid out.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It just isn't. My last neighborhood had a community pool, built by the developer, funded by dues and home sales, yet if you wanted to use the pool you had to pay another fee to get a pool pass. There was little value add from the HOA or the pool. It was definitely not a country club. A club is a group of people with common interests. A group of homeowners rarely have a lot of common interests, quite the opposite in fact, they simply happen to live nearby. The diversity should be celebrated and encouraged but HOA restrictions try to smash everyone into the same box under the guise of "Making your home more valuable." To be honest, none of us should want our homes to be more valuable. That will only lead to more expenses. It also doesn't help us to upsize or downsize as all houses tend to increase at the same rate, HOA or not. The biggest difference I see between HOA and not is that HOA homes are new and non-HOA neighborhoods are naturally older as they were built before developers figured out they could do that.
    Many people want all the amenity's that many community's with HOA's offer.
    What most dont want is the maintenance that comes with putting a pool, tennis courts, basketball courts, a driving range, 9-18 hole golf course, horse barns and trails in there back yard.
    Or they live in a waterfront community and they dont live on the water, but the community has a few marina's where the home owner can keep his boat.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom