Not open for further replies.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I knew the answers from previous hijacks of threads but put all this in one place.

Have you got your answer troll?

There are so many posts saying things that absolutely are not true and it is clear you have not read my posts.

I don’t answer to you particularly to trolls.

We can discuss this but I’m not answering any more of your troll posts.
    Trolling is against the rules here, instead of repeatedly calling another member you believe is being a troll, just report him mike.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The books are open to members in most HOA’s. Did you ever serve on the board? Who would get that wealth? They are a nonprofit 501c4. Many neighborhoods must recruit and draft board members. It is a thankless task.
    In fairness, unless someone is embezzling funds being on an HOA is not lucrative. They don’t get paid. At least I didn’t when I was an HOA ho, voting against the Karens on everything. I just wish we had that name back in the day. It’s so befitting of the ethos of HOA’s.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    In fairness, unless someone is embezzling funds being on an HOA is not lucrative. They don’t get paid. At least I didn’t when I was an HOA ho, voting against the Karens on everything. I just wish we had that name back in the day. It’s so befitting of the ethos of HOA’s.
    I have yet to have the knowledge that a HOA has enough money to pay for playground mulch and snow removal much less enough to steal.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    The books are open to members in most HOA’s. Did you ever serve on the board? Who would get that wealth? They are a nonprofit 501c4. Many neighborhoods must recruit and draft board members. It is a thankless task.
    I'm not certain what the difference between a 501c and a 501c4 is, but my understanding is that non-profit pays its higher ups and organizers. Think president, vice president, ceo, cfo etc. Most of them take a rather sizeable salary, but I believe they get paid as independent contractors or something of the ilk. March of dimes pays close to 100k. It's been to long for the specifics, but I'm sure I could google it quickly enough if it becomes necessary. Non-profit and the 501 designation seems like it should be like most of the others in the category. Yes, it's scummy, but not illegal or even in the grey area. A quick googling tells me this isn't quite right though and can be quite complex. The expectation is to do it as a volunteer, but it isn't quite that straightforward. You can also be a board member and have a lawn care service and make money in that way, although this is dubiously legal. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to game the system, I just don't care for lawfare and tend to avoid all undue bureaucracy.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I disagree completely about the reason for their existence. They generate wealth through membership fees and fines and plenty of it. I think this is the reason goobers tend to gravitate toward board positions and presidencies.
    This has been proven wrong multiple times with HOAs having rules and forcing them to go through their businesses, like yard care, mailboxes, house repairs to get approved, etc.
    NOT true. HOAs send out a copy of their budget and expenditures yearly, they do not make money...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    When I pass newer sub divisions and the houses are like 20 ft apart. I can see a need for a HOA.
    Have you ever lived in a major city or suburb of on .20 acre lots?
    Exactly this.
    Not since I had a choice in the matter. I have lived in such places yes. If you live around people who need to be controlled by fiat I have bad news about your neighborhood.
    Not the case in most HOAs, they are there to prevent issues the few would cause the many...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For someone who posts about smaller government and your rights don't end where someone else's begin, you sure are all for telling someone they can't do something on property they pay for.
    Does this mean that no property owner has the right restrict what goes on with property they sell? This has been an option for land owners for a long time. If you spent millions of your money to develop a subdivision and were selling half million dollar homes you would not protect your investment against those that could cause you to lose millions? You think it wrong for that farmer that will not allow livestock on the land he sells.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But, do some of them require members to use specific services in maintenance of their homes, for which board members get kickbacks?
    Do bank robbers sometimes rob banks? That is against the law. Know it happens but usually it is the property manager pulling it off not the board.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    NOT true. HOAs send out a copy of their budget and expenditures yearly, they do not make money...
    Only took 7 years and how much money?
    More HOA fraud.
    I can continue all day but it's not worth the time as there are so many horror stories about these.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Does this mean that no property owner has the right restrict what goes on with property they sell?
    Nope, you sell it your done with it

This has been an option for land owners for a long time. If you spent millions of your money to develop a subdivision and were selling half million dollar homes you would not protect your investment against those that could cause you to lose millions?
    You want to control what goes on, you build the house and rent it out or stfu
    If your selling half a million dollar houses the people that can afford to buy one are going to take care of it, and if not they spent THEIR half million $ NOT YOUR'S
    You think it wrong for that farmer that will not allow livestock on the land he sells.
    Absolutely. again you sell it your say so is gone
    The county has regulations on how much land you need for livestock

If I sold you a classic car do I get to tell you when to drive it? what gas to put in it? what tires to put on it?
    If I sell you a pistol do I get to tell you what holster to carry it in? what brand of ammo to shoot through it?
    and don't say apples to oranges, cause if I'm buying a house or a pistol I paid for it its mine and your say so ends when you take MY money

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    But, do some of them require members to use specific services in maintenance of their homes, for which board members get kickbacks?
    Not in MY experience. There are requirements for the mailbox, you can use their recommended vendor who will install, put the numbers/address on and invoice you, or do it yourself. I ran to Lowe's for the mailbox and had a local sign shop do the numbers for $10.

Only took 7 years and how much money?
    More HOA fraud.
    I can continue all day but it's not worth the time as there are so many horror stories about these.
    I can lookup BS stories online as well. I'm speaking about MY SPECIFIC experience.

What was your experience with a HOA?

Now my HOA is me, myself, and I.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I had zero issues (even got the hand slap letters) during my time in an HOA...

Nope, you sell it your done with it

You want to control what goes on, you build the house and rent it out or stfu
    If your selling half a million dollar houses the people that can afford to buy one are going to take care of it, and if not they spent THEIR half million $ NOT YOUR'S

Absolutely. again you sell it your say so is gone
    The county has regulations on how much land you need for livestock

If I sold you a classic car do I get to tell you when to drive it? what gas to put in it? what tires to put on it?
    If I sell you a pistol do I get to tell you what holster to carry it in? what brand of ammo to shoot through it?
    and don't say apples to oranges, cause if I'm buying a house or a pistol I paid for it its mine and your say so ends when you take MY money
    Tell me you have no idea about Real Estate law without telling me...

What you're saying is NOT how it works today with Real Estate. I'm dealing in the real world, not make believe.

Do your due diligence during that window of time during your purchasing process (hope you wrote up the offer to allow you an 'out' if needed) and you'll be fine.

If there’s no bank to rob then there’s no crime to commit. If there’s no HOA to be corrupt, there’s no crime to commit.

Difference is we need banks.
    My opinion - on 0.20ac lots, you need an HOA. Older subdivisions had much larger lots and large trees to help give space between neighbors.

For a family just starting out and money's tight as they buy their first home, not a bad idea if they are in an HOA. As you build up your wealth (and your intelligence), most move onto larger homes/properties without an HOA. Unless you're some friends of ours who are house poor...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

What you're saying is NOT how it works today with Real Estate. I'm dealing in the real world, not make believe.

Do your due diligence during that window of time during your purchasing process (hope you wrote up the offer to allow you an 'out' if needed) and you'll be fine
    I live on a 3/4 ac lot in a small town. Most my neighbors are older, I could give a **** what they do in their yards and they don't care what I do.
    There is a guy down the road that has a few cars and a camper in HIS yard doesn't bother me.
    My home value has increased every year Without some Karen or Chad telling me what color my shutters have to be.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Not in MY experience. There are requirements for the mailbox, you can use their recommended vendor who will install, put the numbers/address on and invoice you, or do it yourself. I ran to Lowe's for the mailbox and had a local sign shop do the numbers for $10.

I can lookup BS stories online as well. I'm speaking about MY SPECIFIC experience.

What was your experience with a HOA?

Now my HOA is me, myself, and I.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I had zero issues (even got the hand slap letters) during my time in an HOA...

Do your due diligence during that window of time during your purchasing process (hope you wrote up the offer to allow you an 'out' if needed) and you'll be fine.

My opinion - on 0.20ac lots, you need an HOA. Older subdivisions had much larger lots and large trees to help give space between neighbors.

For a family just starting out and money's tight as they buy their first home, not a bad idea if they are in an HOA. As you build up your wealth (and your intelligence), most move onto larger homes/properties without an HOA. Unless you're some friends of ours who are house poor...
    That's awesome. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to the articles.
    My experience with the HOA has been similar to those articles. I'll never live in an HOA because of those experiences happening to friends of mine.
    Have I heard good stories including in here? Nope. I've seen people trying to justify the bad.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Most of my Dealings with a HOA have mostly been running Gas and power in a addition of the subdivision.
    How many time do you think a Karen has come out and told us we couldn't drive through the subdivision to get to the addition? Or we were making to much noise?

nagantoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2022
    Newburgh
    And there I was thinking this topic was dead and buried, yet the zombie fist just stuck itself up through the dirt again. HOAs are the antithesis of freedom. HOAs don't "protect value" - they provide an avenue for micropeen Karen types to create hell on earth for everyone around them. It's basically a case of "I could never get elected for a government office because everyone hates me, but I sure can serve on an HOA and be a mini Hitler". It is absolutely incredible to me that this is even a possible topic of discussion on a forum like this, where most of us are aware of our Constitutional rights and want to defend them - not give them away to micro-Nazis.

Waiting for banhammer in 3.. 2.. 1.. but I mean what I say.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I live on a 3/4 ac lot in a small town. Most my neighbors are older, I could give a **** what they do in their yards and they don't care what I do.
    There is a guy down the road that has a few cars and a camper in HIS yard doesn't bother me.
    My home value has increased every year Without some Karen or Chad telling me what color my shutters have to be.
    3/4ac vs 0.20ac. Apples and oranges, see this from my earlier response...

As to the value - EVERYONE'S value should have gone up these past few years (HOA or not). Bidenomics at work!

That's awesome. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to the articles.
    My experience with the HOA has been similar to those articles. I'll never live in an HOA because of those experiences happening to friends of mine.
    Have I heard good stories including in here? Nope. I've seen people trying to justify the bad.
    I posted an example earlier, some folks tried to not leave the trailer behind and acted like they still lived in the trailer park (I was told here higher values would prevent that).

Plenty of people live in HOAs with no issues. Again, see my earlier post, I've come to notice most folks don't realize it's the "game of life" and you need to figure out how to win the game...

And there I was thinking this topic was dead and buried, yet the zombie fist just stuck itself up through the dirt again. HOAs are the antithesis of freedom. HOAs don't "protect value" - they provide an avenue for micropeen Karen types to create hell on earth for everyone around them. It's basically a case of "I could never get elected for a government office because everyone hates me, but I sure can serve on an HOA and be a mini Hitler". It is absolutely incredible to me that this is even a possible topic of discussion on a forum like this, where most of us are aware of our Constitutional rights and want to defend them - not give them away to micro-Nazis.

Waiting for banhammer in 3.. 2.. 1.. but I mean what I say.
    Good thing no one is forcing you to join one then...

nagantoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2022
    Newburgh
    Good thing no one is forcing you to join one then...
    You are correct. Through two wives and various real estate transactions, my three rules for what house to buy have always been:

1. Can I afford the mortgage?
    2. Will I have a space for all the random crap I collect and repair?
    3. Be damn sure there is no HOA, because Satan will be shopping for snow tires long before I would EVER live in a deed-restricted home managed by micropenis busybodies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom