Not open for further replies.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    You have found the key to human nature out there? :lmfao:
    I take your meaning, but I don't live around people because I generally don't like them and I live to be self sufficient. Cities don't take kindly to chickens, goats, rabbits etc
    I feel like the HOA is a symptom of the much greater problem of people being packed in like sardines after the boomer generation split up all the properties into plots that were far too close together and then perpetuated by massive corporations leaving just enough space between houses to sort of run a weed eater through. I don't think we're supposed to live so close to people that aren't family. I know the farm life isn't for everyone, but I need more than 1/5 of an acre for a house and a lawn.
    My firm position is, and you can't budge me on this, if you can't pee off your porch, your neighbors are too close.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I take your meaning, but I don't live around people because I generally don't like them and I live to be self sufficient. Cities don't take kindly to chickens, goats, rabbits etc
    I feel like the HOA is a symptom of the much greater problem of people being packed in like sardines after the boomer generation split up all the properties into plots that were far too close together and then perpetuated by massive corporations leaving just enough space between houses to sort of run a weed eater through. I don't think we're supposed to live so close to people that aren't family. I know the farm life isn't for everyone, but I need more than 1/5 of an acre for a house and a lawn.
    My firm position is, and you can't budge me on this, if you can't pee off your porch, your neighbors are too close.
    That is how I grew up. However even many 100 year old neighborhoods are pretty small lots. Think about it like this for a moment, it costs the developers (landowners) thousands in legal fees to create the covenants and set up HOA’s, why would they spend that money if they were not needed? Because some jackwagon was doing something and other buyers were turned off and it cost the developer money. The covenants keep growing because someone does something objectionable and they try to mitigate that.

I agree space is the best solution but that isn’t how cities work…

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    That is how I grew up. However even many 100 year old neighborhoods are pretty small lots. Think about it like this for a moment, it costs the developers (landowners) thousands in legal fees to create the covenants and set up HOA’s, why would they spend that money if they were not needed? Because some jackwagon was doing something and other buyers were turned off and it cost the developer money. The covenants keep growing because someone does something objectionable and they try to mitigate that.

I disagree completely about the reason for their existence. They generate wealth through membership fees and fines and plenty of it. I think this is the reason goobers tend to gravitate toward board positions and presidencies.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Except you didn't answer my question. Why ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    That's it. That's the question. You asked a question, others answered but you didn't want their answers. So, why ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    Funny @Ingomike still won't answer. Why did you ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    If you wanted to tell everyone how amazing HOAs are and that they are the answer to everything, you could have done that. Instead you are disingenuous and mad others aren't worshipping your worthless "rebuttals". People are posting horror stories and you keep trying to play like it didn't happen.
    So, again, actually answer this question. Why did you ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    It's super simple yet you refuse. It's literally the point of your whole post and you won't answer. So, why did you ask a question you don't want the answer to?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I disagree completely about the reason for their existence. They generate wealth through membership fees and fines and plenty of it. I think this is the reason goobers tend to gravitate toward board positions and presidencies.

I just think some people like to tell others what to do.
    I have a few in my subdivision.

But, since I don't have an HOA, I can tell them to F off.
    As long as something's not bad enough for "code enforcement" to drop by.
    And don't get me started on them (code enforcement) trying to fine little old ladies because their grass is "too high"

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Funny @Ingomike still won't answer. Why did you ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    I knew the answers from previous hijacks of threads but put all this in one place.

Have you got your answer troll?

If you wanted to tell everyone how amazing HOAs are and that they are the answer to everything, you could have done that.
    There are so many posts saying things that absolutely are not true and it is clear you have not read my posts.

Instead you are disingenuous and mad others aren't worshipping your worthless "rebuttals". People are posting horror stories and you keep trying to play like it didn't happen.
    I don’t answer to you particularly to trolls.

So, again, actually answer this question. Why did you ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    It's super simple yet you refuse. It's literally the point of your whole post and you won't answer. So, why did you ask a question you don't want the answer to?
    We can discuss this but I’m not answering any more of your troll posts.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The books are open to members in most HOA’s. Did you ever serve on the board? Who would get that wealth? They are a nonprofit 501c4. Many neighborhoods must recruit and draft board members. It is a thankless task.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The covenants keep growing because someone does something objectionable and they try to mitigate that.…
    See this is the problem Mike, For someone who posts about smaller government and your rights don't end where someone else's begin, you sure are all for telling someone they can't do something on property they pay for.
    Now if the HOA owned the property and RENTED it out I could see telling someone what they could or couldn't do with the property.
    Live and let Live and all that ****.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I knew the answers from previous hijacks of threads but put all this in one place.

Have you got your answer troll?

There are so many posts saying things that absolutely are not true and it is clear you have not read my posts.

I don’t answer to you particularly to trolls.

We can discuss this but I’m not answering any more of your troll posts.
    Not trolling, asking the simple question. Literally everything to do about this post.
    If I wanted to "troll" I'd just post nonstop articles about bad HOAs, and there are more than enough to do it. I've been discussing this topic on here with you as rational discussion. But, it's obvious you don't want the discussion nor the answer, so it's obvious who the troll is.
    If you had answered this previously, what's the post number? I'd looked and couldn't find it, but honestly maybe I'd missed it.
    So, how is asking about YOUR topic trolling? Why are you scared to answer?
    I've posted quite a few threads and would never have a problem answering the question. That's the point of discussion on a forum like this.
    For instance, if I asked the best handgun to purchase and people asked questions about what I needed it for or my size or if I go to restricted areas, they wouldn't be trolling would they? Nope. Same here. So, why ask if you don't want the answer? Is it you trolling?

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    The books are open to members in most HOA’s. Did you ever serve on the board? Who would get that wealth? They are a nonprofit 501c4. Many neighborhoods must recruit and draft board members. It is a thankless task.
    This has been proven wrong multiple times with HOAs having rules and forcing them to go through their businesses, like yard care, mailboxes, house repairs to get approved, etc.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is government intervention in a purely private matter. A government that can tell you what you cannot do can also tell you what you must do.

From the article:

During a town hall meeting last year, Porras said HOAs faced “no form of accountability,” an that needed to change.

HOA’s are accountable to the members and courts routinely enforce covenants.

“We’re seeing harassment of homeowners,” he said. “We’re seeing selective enforcement of bylaws and covenants.”

If true this should be easy to prove and get corrected by the courts, where civil issues are resolved which is what this is, not a state government matter.
    Says the guy who wants to tell people what they can and cannot do.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Especially when most of the board members are Karens. There are certainly not enough non conformists on the board. AKA sane people.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Covenants keep growing because there’s no shortage of other people’s business board members like to stick their noses in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom