Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm in

I'm in Mississippi right now, I passed many between Terra haute and Sardis, Mississippi. A farm, ranch or any large tract of land gets chopped up and sold in 3 to 10 acre lots with the intention of each of those having septic and its own well. Driveways to be off existing roads already in use.

When my brother and I sell our family farm in Md, it will be chopped up and lots sold by us.
    The only master plan will be the certified survey of each lot.
    In central Indiana most counties only allow one split of land, otherwise it must be a subdivision or what is often called a mini-split. They then take drainage and utility easements from the plat and may times frontage for future road expansion. That must be some rural Md. to not have regulations like that. Those days are over in central Indiana…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    In central Indiana most counties only allow one split of land, otherwise it must be a subdivision or what is often called a mini-split. They then take drainage and utility easements from the plat and may times frontage for future road expansion. That must be some rural Md. to not have regulations like that. Those days are over in central Indiana…
    Like I've posted, some of you are not well traveled...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm in

I'm in Mississippi right now, I passed many between Terra haute and Sardis, Mississippi. A farm, ranch or any large tract of land gets chopped up and sold in 3 to 10 acre lots with the intention of each of those having septic and its own well. Driveways to be off existing roads already in use.

When my brother and I sell our family farm in Md, it will be chopped up and lots sold by us.
    The only master plan will be the certified survey of each lot.
    3 to 10 acre lots is NOT a subdivision...

This thread is about HOAs. Where is there a HOA that has 10 acre lots?

Where is 10 acre parcels, all on well and septic, considered a subdivision?

That's rural America @Creedmoor, not relevant to this discussion...

When a farm is split up into quarter or half acre lots, that's a subdivision.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Very well traveled here bud, but even I know the difference between a subdivision and rural land (and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night)...
    Well pal...
    Subdivision,
    A subdivision is literally a large piece of land subdivided into two or more plots or parcels meant for individual ownership.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    3 to 10 acre lots is NOT a subdivision...

This thread is about HOAs. Where is there a HOA that has 10 acre lots?

Where is 10 acre parcels, all on well and septic, considered a subdivision?

That's rural America @Creedmoor, not relevant to this discussion...

When a farm is split up into quarter or half acre lots, that's a subdivision.
    There is a member on this forum who has an HOA for his subdivision, iirc there is a restriction on lots being subdivided into smaller than 5 acre lots. It's in NWI. I believe he has stated that most lots are much larger than that.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Mine is to explain to others what HOA’s and covenants are and how they work.
    Maybe that's the thread you should have started? Instead you ask why so many hate them.

You want to voluntarily give others the right to make rules on how you live for a 5-6% possible increase in value, as you say that's your choice.

If your HOA makes a rule restricting your gun rights what are you doing then?

You ask for reasons why folks hate HOAs and are getting answers that clearly state why. You seem surprised.

The one thing I hope everyone gets from this thread is IF you buy a home in an HOA that you carefully study the rules. You really should have an attorney review them, go through the history of any changes in the rules and fee structures. You should also meet the board members.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Well pal...
    Subdivision,
    A subdivision is literally a large piece of land subdivided into two or more plots or parcels meant for individual ownership.
    I know the definition of "subdivision".

I thought the discussion in this thread was for a typical subdivision with a HOA, where you're on top of your neighbor, not a "subdivision" that is made up of 3-10ac lots.

Where has anyone been discussing 10ac lots with subdivisions?

But please, let us know when you divide up your family farm in MD and put a road in, I'm  sure you'll have no .gov intervention or drainage, utility requirements to contend with...:whistle:

There is a member on this forum who has an HOA for his subdivision, iirc there is a restriction on lots being subdivided into smaller than 5 acre lots. It's in NWI. I believe he has stated that most lots are much larger than that.
    That's not a typical urban/suburban subdivision that would have a HOA, think of those built by Pulte, CP Morgan, etc.

You want to voluntarily give others the right to make rules on how you live for a 5-6% possible increase in value, as you say that's your choice.
    From what I read, the value started out 5-6% higher than non HOA homes and ended up the same.
    The one thing I hope everyone gets from this thread is IF you buy a home in an HOA that you carefully study the rules. You really should have an attorney review them, go through the history of any changes in the rules and fee structures. You should also meet the board members.
    Is that realistic? Where have homes been on the market long enough for someone to do all that before putting in an offer, without someone else beating them to the punch?

I've been in two HOAs over the years, the rules are largely the same overall and what you'd expect for living in VERY close proximity to your neighbors (the 3-10ac subdivisions not included).

They serve their purpose, but you are free to join or not. There are plenty of non HOA homes out there...

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    HOA mindset is that your stuff is so important and valuable that you believe that you should be able to legally impose your will on your neighbors.
    Or you'd like to protect your investment.

How's resale of your 350k+ house when the neighbor has a bunch of junk cars on blocks in his driveway, old RV next to his house, and an unkept lawn?

Keep in mind, you're on a lot less than 0.25ac...

I'll GLADY take an HOA in that situation. You don't have enough land to shoot on your property, likely have a lot of common area green space needing maintained, retention ponds, community pool, basketball and tennis courts...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    HOA mindset is that your stuff is so important and valuable that you believe that you should be able to legally impose your will on your neighbors.
    You still don’t get it, and don’t appear to want to. NOBODY IS IMPOSING ANYTHING. Grown adults are negotiating an agreement which once negotiated attaches to the deed and is binding on subsequent owners. That agreement may be that one owner sells land with the covenant that no mining takes place. Another could be that the purchaser wants a covenant with their neighbors that no mining takes place. Or it could be that no RV’s are parked on the property.

Everyone seems all hung up on the perception that there are dictates, and the fact that covenants even exist but no one seems to get that the owner of property has every freedom to place restrictions on the property they sell and buyers have every freedom to agree or not agree.

I know people that are trying to buy the land near their acreage just to control that land. Is their “mindset is that your stuff is so important and valuable that you believe that you should be able to legally impose your will on your neighbors”? Or are they just protecting themselves and have the financial resources to do it!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not in that location. Unfortunately the commies were in charge of developing that plat so it ended up under heavy rule. If the commies get to the land first they get to make the rules cause this is America.
    So you think a farmer that sells some land and doesn’t want livestock raised next to his house is a commie? You think someone that doesn’t want to look at an RV in most drives in the subdivision is a commie? The commie is those that would tell you what you can do with the land you own, and if you want to put limitations on what future owners can do with that land that is one of your rights. If potential buyers cannot live with those limitations they can buy elsewhere.

This is the crux of what I am trying to get you to understand, the freedom is to the land owner, and that freedom includes limiting what future owners can do.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe that's the thread you should have started? Instead you ask why so many hate them.
    Trying to understand many of the heated comments from other threads.

No, I want covenants to keep my neighborhood nice and appreciating.

If your HOA makes a rule restricting your gun rights what are you doing then?

Already answered. The article basically says it is unlikely in most states.

You ask for reasons why folks hate HOAs and are getting answers that clearly state why. You seem surprised.
    Actually not surprised at all. Just disappointed that so many are so closed minded they cannot accept the fact that covenants are a freedom of the property owner to place on property they own. But folks are so upset that they exist and limit them personally they cannot fathom the other side of the situation.

Few do all this but if one is that concerned this would be a good due diligence, particularly if one is generally averse to covenants in the first place. I also hope that folks reading this are now aware that ANY property can have covenants on whether there is an HOA or not. Just because it is five or ten acres out in the country doesn’t mean no one has ever put covenants on the land. Covenants can be put on ANY land…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Says the guy who know everything, just ask him…
    I find it funny that's the same thing that liberals say when they just proven wrong.

Laughable comming from someone that posts twice as much as me, in all the threads except the gun threads, on a gun forum.
    I just drove by your Billboard of Google Irony in Cotton Plant, Miss.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I find it funny that's the same thing that liberals say when they just proven wrong.

Laughable comming from someone that posts twice as much as me, in all the threads except the gun threads, on a gun forum.
    I just drove by your Billboard of Google Irony in Cotton Plant, Miss.
    But, you have proven no one wrong…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is the crux of what I am trying to get you to understand, the freedom is to the land owner, and that freedom includes limiting what future owners can do.
    This is what you refuse to accept, putting limitations on other people based on your personal preferences is ********. If I sell someone something, what they do with it is their business. Whether that’s a chunk of land that’s been in my family for 5 generations or a used pickup truck.

I’ve mentioned several times, I’m very much a live and let live type of person. We got new neighbors behind us last year. They bought the house and spent six months renovating before moving in. The first sign of life from them was the new owner ripping ass on his new five acres on a 2 stroke dirt bike. Yay for me. When I met him I was as polite as could be and the bike came up in conversation. I told him it was his land and he was free to do as he pleased on it. Strangely, without the need for an HOA or a babysitter as we talked, he brought up not riding it enough to be annoying. They’ve been in for a year now and he rides on occasion but it hasn’t been a problem.

Not once did I, nor would I think so much of myself as to try to limit his enjoyment of his home and property because I may not like something he does. That is where you and I differ and that is where you fail to understand. People can use property values as an excuse all they want but it is what it is and I want no part of either side of it.

What others do with their property is their business. If you don’t like it, you have the freedom to buy them out or move. Instead, people form groups to gain the power to control others. If he rode that dirt bike every day I wouldn't try to do anything to stop him.

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    You still don’t get it, and don’t appear to want to. NOBODY IS IMPOSING ANYTHING. Grown adults are negotiating an agreement which once negotiated attaches to the deed and is binding on subsequent owners. That agreement may be that one owner sells land with the covenant that no mining takes place. Another could be that the purchaser wants a covenant with their neighbors that no mining takes place. Or it could be that no RV’s are parked on the property.

Everyone seems all hung up on the perception that there are dictates, and the fact that covenants even exist but no one seems to get that the owner of property has every freedom to place restrictions on the property they sell and buyers have every freedom to agree or not agree.

I know people that are trying to buy the land near their acreage just to control that land. Is their “mindset is that your stuff is so important and valuable that you believe that you should be able to legally impose your will on your neighbors”? Or are they just protecting themselves and have the financial resources to do it!
    So if I am interested in a home with an HOA, as you stated I can negotiate the agreement I am willing to abide by at that time? Others may have a more or less restrictive agreement that I?

you don’t get that you are purchasing with the intent to pursue your wants on your neighbors. If covenants can change or be added, you have the ability to force your will on your neighbor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom