• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Or you'd like to protect your investment.

How's resale of your 350k+ house when the neighbor has a bunch of junk cars on blocks in his driveway, old RV next to his house, and an unkept lawn?

Keep in mind, you're on a lot less than 0.25ac...

I'll GLADY take an HOA in that situation. You don't have enough land to shoot on your property, likely have a lot of common area green space needing maintained, retention ponds, community pool, basketball and tennis courts...
    Please show me a subdivision without an HOA that have homes north of $300k and have at least 1 home with junk cars and RVs in the yard.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Please show me a subdivision without an HOA that have homes north of $300k and have at least 1 home with junk cars and RVs in the yard.
    I'd tell you to head around Avon, Plainfield, or Brownsburg and have a look see. But by golly, most of the subdivisions there HAVE an HOA and do not have junk cars in the drive or RVs parked next to the house. I wonder why that is?

Head to some of the older neighborhoods, closer to Indy, and I bet what you see changes...

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My first home was in a small neighborhood with no HOA (thank goodness) and we lived there about 14 yrs. For 7 years on sunny days I did restoration stuff like this on my driveway and many service procedures for friends cars in the garage.
    bird_frame.jpeg
    driveway_rh.jpeg

Not only did no one complain about the noise of a compressor, sandblaster and lots of dust but they were actually curious and interested in what I was doing. The neighbors were all waiting to see the final product.

No-one's property value went down because I restored a car in my driveway or did brake jobs for friends & neighbors.

We searched for our second home for over 2 1/2 years. One of the first neighborhoods we looked in I asked the realtor about needing to add on a 2-1/2 car shop/garage. We were told that the plans would have to be approved by the HOA and it must be built in a certain style. No guarantee we could even build one. Walked away. We thought we were doomed after noting most of the other "desirable" areas we wanted to live in had HOA BS.

Finally got lucky and found a great mid-century modern ranch in an older established neighborhood on the White River. No HOA and everyone stores their boats/RV's, classic cars in their driveways, yards or docked (a nice '64 Baracuda, there's a beautiful old '50's Featherlite all aluminum runabout I'd love to have). The values of our properties has skyrocketed in the last several years. I still receive one or two offers to buy each month stuck to my mailbox.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    So you think a farmer that sells some land and doesn’t want livestock raised next to his house is a commie? You think someone that doesn’t want to look at an RV in most drives in the subdivision is a commie? The commie is those that would tell you what you can do with the land you own, and if you want to put limitations on what future owners can do with that land that is one of your rights. If potential buyers cannot live with those limitations they can buy elsewhere.

This is the crux of what I am trying to get you to understand, the freedom is to the land owner, and that freedom includes limiting what future owners can do.
    Mike, I agree with most (99%) of your posts in the political section, but this quote ^ up here sounds like everything you bitch about the left doing.

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville
    HOA...Naw, like most 21st century Acroyms I'll pass on the simple foundation of freedom...the two are not symbiotic. Thank the good Lord for places like Brown County...Would I live like my neighbor..hell to the double 0 No, does he tell me how to live...Negitive ghost rider...Smells like freedom!!! All the best!

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Much like government, I like the intent and idea of an HOA but just like government, it falls way short of expectations and always costs way more than expected!
    We bought our current home and agreed to the HOA. At the time we had never been exposed to an HOA so the sales pitch sounded good. We never had any problems with the HOA for many years but now it seems like it’s the good old boys club! We are not allowed trailers, boats or other similar equipment left in the driveway or in the street. One of the board members leaves his boat in the driveway for months at a time. Another board member has parked his food concession trailer in front of his house for over a year. I parked my camper in front of my house for about 48 hours while I did some cleaning and maintenance on it. I got a letter 2 days later!
    We tried for years to put in a black vinyl chain link fence and were refused repeatedly. They were not allowed per the HOA but we kept asking. A couple months after our last request, the HOA secretary had one put in. We let them know that we were having one put in. They threatened to take us to court but backed off after pointing out that they approved the same fence for the HOA’s secretary. We got approval a couple days later.
    If they’d just do the job honestly and with brains, I wouldn’t have an issue. There are things I would like to do here but don’t because it would be against the covenants.

Matt

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville
    Much like government, I like the intent and idea of an HOA but just like government, it falls way short of expectations and always costs way more than expected!
    We bought our current home and agreed to the HOA. At the time we had never been exposed to an HOA so the sales pitch sounded good. We never had any problems with the HOA for many years but now it seems like it’s the good old boys club! We are not allowed trailers, boats or other similar equipment left in the driveway or in the street. One of the board members leaves his boat in the driveway for months at a time. Another board member has parked his food concession trailer in front of his house for over a year. I parked my camper in front of my house for about 48 hours while I did some cleaning and maintenance on it. I got a letter 2 days later!
    We tried for years to put in a black vinyl chain link fence and were refused repeatedly. They were not allowed per the HOA but we kept asking. A couple months after our last request, the HOA secretary had one put in. We let them know that we were having one put in. They threatened to take us to court but backed off after pointing out that they approved the same fence for the HOA’s secretary. We got approval a couple days later.
    If they’d just do the job honestly and with brains, I wouldn’t have an issue. There are things I would like to do here but don’t because it would be against the covenants.

Matt
    Thats called Bureaucracy. It's what every new fangled Acronym stands for!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    HOA.

Has to be tied to communal life as envisaged in communist countries.

Probably tied to all the land being gobbled up by foreign countries then repackaged and sold except just like losing mineral rights, all other freedoms will be lost eventually. Just give it time eventually every house will be in an HOA as multiconglomerates buy all the housing and attach covenants that slowly enslave the people all under the banner of freedom!

Another couple of decades will prove me right.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I've somewhat followed along out of boredom, no dog in the fight whatsoever, but really can't tell what the point is of the whole discussion. Nobody's changing their minds. 23 pages. Certainly all this energy could've been directed in a more positive direction...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mike, I agree with most (99%) of your posts in the political section, but this quote ^ up here sounds like everything you bitch about the left doing.
    Are you aware that legally one can sell anything and or keep anything related to property? Air rights only? Some areas near Indy airport are required by law to sell the air rights to the airport if they sell their property. Some sellers retain mineral rights. Some say no livestock can be raised on this property. And of course some say you cannot park an RV on it. Some farmers selling a woods will stipulate no shacks or temporary shelter and RV’s, only permanent structures.

The point being that covenants and deed restrictions are quite common though to many on INGO it seems this if the first they have ever heard of them. The land owners freedoms will be usurped if they cannot sell as they wish and the buyer is losing nothing because they should be aware of just what they are buying.

If a charger with no engine was advertised for sale and you saw a hemi on the engine stand, should the owner be required to sell you that engine with the deal? No!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I've somewhat followed along out of boredom, no dog in the fight whatsoever, but really can't tell what the point is of the whole discussion. Nobody's changing their minds. 23 pages. Certainly all this energy could've been directed in a more positive direction...
    Because just like the HOA someone thinks he has to impose his will on others whether they want it or not.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I'd tell you to head around Avon, Plainfield, or Brownsburg and have a look see. But by golly, most of the subdivisions there HAVE an HOA and do not have junk cars in the drive or RVs parked next to the house. I wonder why that is?

Head to some of the older neighborhoods, closer to Indy, and I bet what you see changes...
    I would bet the pricing of the home is enough to discourage a purchase by those you see as riff raft. The HOA just provides control

1776goat

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 8, 2023
    Nashville
    Are you aware that legally one can sell anything and or keep anything related to property? Air rights only? Some areas near Indy airport are required by law to sell the air rights to the airport if they sell their property. Some sellers retain mineral rights. Some say no livestock can be raised on this property. And of course some say you cannot park an RV on it. Some farmers selling a woods will stipulate no shacks or temporary shelter and RV’s, only permanent structures.

The point being that covenants and deed restrictions are quite common though to many on INGO it seems this if the first they have ever heard of them. The land owners freedoms will be usurped if they cannot sell as they wish and the buyer is losing nothing because they should be aware of just what they are buying.

If a charger with no engine was advertised for sale and you saw a hemi on the engine stand, should the owner be required to sell you that engine with the deal? No!
    With all due respect, that is a stretch. Purchasing a property on set of unchanging conditions, does not equate to being under the rule of an Hoa as it is a metastasisizing body of usually unelected members with their own directives. Things can change outside of the agreement of the land owner/homebuyer at will.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The point being that covenants and deed restrictions are quite common though to many on INGO it seems this if the first they have ever heard of them.
    Thank heaven the all knowing and wise beyond all is here to educate us. It couldn’t be that people understand fully everything they need to and still do not like HOAs. You confuse your different values with higher intelligence which is why your threads go nowhere.

You like HOAs, we get it. It isn’t because you understand them better, it’s because you value having control over others. I and many like me don’t and it isn’t out of ignorance.

You can relax. You’re in no danger here you’re just among few friends in some of your values.

Rio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2017
    SE Indiana
    My dislike for them comes from, as a young broke student working for one. I everything was personal and every act part of an ace to grind by the representatives of the HOA I even seen people loose their homes over it. Made ma a wary of local representation as that at a national scale.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I would bet the pricing of the home is enough to discourage a purchase by those you see as riff raft. The HOA just provides control
    The price of the home? You realize many of these neighborhoods were about 150k not long ago...

In those older neighborhoods the lots are MUCH larger, giving a bit more buffer space. Even without an HOA, you could slip a RV in and no one could see it. Hardly possible in the newer subdivisions (that have HOAs).

The HOA provides protection, no one is forced to join.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom