• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    And I'll say it again, you haven't driven around America before. If you had, you would know most of what you are saying just isn't true.
    What new subdivision isn't platted out with a master plan approved by the city?!

26 subdivisions, just one builder. All HOA with master plats...

Screenshot_20240620_205120_Chrome.jpg

Lookup town/city council meetings for many of the fast growing donut counties and you'll see them on file...

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    There is more and more of this in everything we do. Just look at the EULAs attached to practically everything (cars, phones, appliances, services, etc...) we buy. Most of them allow the manufacturer to do whatever they want and we can't touch them. The justification for this is always "You have a choice to buy from a different manufacturer/service provider." but when all of them are doing it there is no choice. I haven't looked but I'm willing to bet there aren't many new homes being built outside of an HOA.
    If you're looking for a builder grade home in a subdivision, built by a mega builder, there will be an HOA.

If you build a custom home or something built on your lot, no HOA.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Freedom for the wealthy. Only peasants require babysitting.
    Not necessarily wealthy. TK Homes builds homes for the average guy, not a starter home but next step up...

You can always buy in Speedway or somewhere inside 465, a nice non HOA subdivision, but your neighbor may have a car on blocks in his yard or a lot of late night traffic...
    My wife’s uncle lives in a very custom built, well past 7 figure house near Geist Reservoir and you can believe they have an extensive and costly HOA.

And it blows my mind how many folks do that mega mansion in a subdivision or tiny lot. If I can afford a seven figure place, I'd better not see or even hear my neighbors (I can't see my neighbors on my sub 7 figure property). My uncle (now a retired ER doc) did it right and built on 80+ acres...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not necessarily wealthy. TK Homes builds homes for the average guy, not a starter home but next step up...

You can always buy in Speedway or somewhere inside 465, a nice non HOA subdivision, but your neighbor may have a car on blocks in his yard or a lot of late night traffic...

And it blows my mind how many folks do that mega mansion in a subdivision or tiny lot. If I can afford a seven figure place, I'd better not see or even hear my neighbors (I can't see my neighbors on my sub 7 figure property). My uncle (now a retired ER doc) did it right and built on 80+ acres...
    It seems the majority have no problems living in close proximity to others. I’m not one of them but I am thankful for them, if they didn’t exist I’d be stuck in the suburbs and that is nothing but misery for me.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    It seems the majority have no problems living in close proximity to others. I’m not one of them but I am thankful for them, if they didn’t exist I’d be stuck in the suburbs and that is nothing but misery for me.
    They have there time and place, that's for sure. But very thankful I sold the 0.19ac and now have plenty of land with my own private lake...

Where I sold, there was practically a waiting list to buy a place....sold my place the day it was listed, above asking price even...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They have there time and place, that's for sure. But very thankful I sold the 0.19ac and now have plenty of land with my own private lake...

Where I sold, there was practically a waiting list to buy a place....sold my place the day it was listed, above asking price even...
    We did the same. Traded .28 acre for 14 and sold our house the day it hit the market to the first people who walked in the door. Paid a lot more for what we have now and wouldn’t have with any stipulations that my neighbors approve what I do with it.

Last week I heard something I hadn’t before at the new place. Sounded just like a machine gun. Gunfire is a regular occurrence and from that specific location also but I hadn’t heard that before. Brought a nice smile to my face but I’d have not enjoyed that same reaction at the last house.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I could be wrong, but I think that I am in the middle ground on this.

I don’t particularly like HOAs, but get it that some do.

I lived in a neighborhood with an HOA, and frankly, it was no more special that other places that I have lived.

People choose to buy into a place that they see as home. Some see that as acreage with there “stuff” on display in the yard. Some like every house and mailbox to look the same.

I specifically chose the current house, because it was not in a HOA. There are neighborhoods around us that do. Some look really nice, a few blocks down, not so much.

I would put my non-HOA cul de sac up against any of the surrounding neighborhoods.

Buy where you see as home. If you don’t like HOAs, don’t buy into them…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What new subdivision isn't platted out with a master plan approved by the city?!

View attachment 360610

Lookup town/city council meetings for many of the fast growing donut counties and you'll see them on file...
    Most of America doesn't live in the high density suburbs.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mike, what happens to your opinion of HOA's when they pass a no flags or no firearms rule?
    Karen across the street sees you carrying a rifle case out to the car or a pistol on your belt, then what?
    If the covenant says no flags, then no flags. The owner agreed to that when they bought the property. If it is not in the covenants, then f*** them.

An HOA has no business inside the home concerning guns, sex, or anything else inside and while I have heard of this conflict elsewhere never heard of it locally.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There is more and more of this in everything we do. Just look at the EULAs attached to practically everything (cars, phones, appliances, services, etc...) we buy. Most of them allow the manufacturer to do whatever they want and we can't touch them. The justification for this is always "You have a choice to buy from a different manufacturer/service provider." but when all of them are doing it there is no choice. I haven't looked but I'm willing to bet there aren't many new homes being built outside of an HOA.
    You can build all the home you can afford out of a subdivision. Not hard at all. BUT, if you want to enjoy the economies of scale of a subdivision, read cheaper because logistics are far less, then the developers, you know, those providing the economy of scale, require covenants that you will not screw up their subdivision...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

View attachment 360610

They live in a world of their imaginations…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We did the same. Traded .28 acre for 14 and sold our house the day it hit the market to the first people who walked in the door. Paid a lot more for what we have now and wouldn’t have with any stipulations that my neighbors approve what I do with it.

Last week I heard something I hadn’t before at the new place. Sounded just like a machine gun. Gunfire is a regular occurrence and from that specific location also but I hadn’t heard that before. Brought a nice smile to my face but I’d have not enjoyed that same reaction at the last house.
    If I had 14 acres I have no need for an HOA. To me.the HOA is for the less than acre properties. That is just too close to live without some ground rules.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Most of America doesn't live in the high density suburbs.
    Correct, they live in even higher density urban areas, thus the maps that show 80% of the land mass of the US votes conservative and the super high density blue areas vote for leftists and outnumber them considerably…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm in
    Wrong.

View attachment 360626

Where are new subdivision being built without a master plan for the development?
    I'm in Mississippi right now, I passed many between Terra haute and Sardis, Mississippi. A farm, ranch or any large tract of land gets chopped up and sold in 3 to 10 acre lots with the intention of each of those having septic and its own well. Driveways to be off existing roads already in use.

When my brother and I sell our family farm in Md, it will be chopped up and lots sold by us.
    The only master plan will be the certified survey of each lot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom