• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To amend our covenants is 75% in writing concurring. I used to say you can’t get 75% to agree on free ice cream but we did get a couple things amended not long ago. Nothing controversial, it was changing the quorum percentage since we rarely had a quorum, and taking out the word “privacy” concerning fence requirements on some lots.

Still was hard to get 75%.
    I used to live in a 400+ home HOA. There were many years no business could get done at the annual meetings due to low attendance and so few homeowners sending in their proxy votes.
    Pretty common, as KIA notes, they had to reduce quorum percentage to be able to conduct the business the bylaws required…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And there is the crux of the matter at hand. People here seem to have a fear of HOA’s because they want their own freedom, even if there is risk, while wanting to deny others the freedom to have the protection of covenants against unruly neighbors. Both exist, choosing one or the other will always limit choices. It is irrational to hate one or the other, they are choices…
    It isn’t irrational to someone who has had to contend with some of the more ridiculous HOAs out there. I felt a lot more inhibited by the covenants than I ever felt protected by them. Things like me sitting a portable basketball goal by the end of my drive were addressed most hastily and with the utmost of urgency but the peeling paint, sagging gutters and weed fill lots didn’t seem to garner much attention.

Mine was mild and I’d have still preferred not to have to deal with them. It isn’t irrational when there are alternatives. It is irrational to revel in forcing beliefs, opinions or tastes onto others.

Either way you slice it, it’s one group forcing actions or inactions on another. Believing it voluntary or not doesn’t change it and people of both opinions are quite justified in their own. There’s ample evidence to argue either side so given a choice, I choose not to live under one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Attendance was always an issue at ours and likely is everywhere but possibly Florida. I find the majority of people prefer the live and let live approach and every year where I heard nothing but the annual HOA dues invoice from them was a good year.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mine was mild and I’d have still preferred not to have to deal with them. It isn’t irrational when there are alternatives.
    And there are choices so why the irrational hate of the other guys choices.

It is irrational to revel in forcing beliefs, opinions or tastes onto others.
    Are you saying it is irrational to want live in a neighborhood where everyone aspires to increase values by maintaining their properties, not parking commercial vehicles, not parking trailers of any kind and agreeing to that before buying?

It just seems unreal to me that folks get so worked up about this and I am trying to understand why they care so much about what those that do want covenants and HOA are doing when they have the choice to not have one.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ...when they have the choice to not have one.
    You continue to say this but it isn't true. Choice would be you can decline to join the HOA or red line specific things when purchasing said house. Of course we all know that HOAs would quickly disappear if one could opt out. Those that did stay around would have to provide actual value.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You continue to say this but it isn't true.
    Are you saying you cannot buy the home you want without an HOA?

Choice would be you can decline to join the HOA or red line specific things when purchasing said house.
    When you buy a house you also buy the neighborhood, generally HOA neighborhoods are nicer kept.

Of course we all know that HOAs would quickly disappear if one could opt out. Those that did stay around would have to provide actual value.
    You continue to say this but where is the proof? If so many want to opt out they have every right to get the votes and remove the covenants and HOA but I have never heard nor read of such a vote taking place beyond a 5-10 lot subdivision. The people have the power but they are so consumed with disgust for their HOA they don’t even go to meetings or give a proxy. That pretty much tells the story.

Just who would maintain the property owned by the neighborhood if everyone opted out?

If one is a “my land” kind of guy over half of all properties do not have covenants and HOA. What I suspect this is all about is nicer homes are often in an HOA neighborhood and folks struggle to make the connection that it is likely why those neighborhoods are nicer…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And there are choices so why the irrational hate of the other guys choices.
    Why do you insist on using sensationalist words to instigate arguments on here? HATE..HATE..HATE..HATE... Is anyone allowed to simply prefer not to live under an HOA?

Are you saying it is irrational to want live in a neighborhood where everyone aspires to increase values by maintaining their properties, not parking commercial vehicles, not parking trailers of any kind and agreeing to that before buying?
    If that was what HOAs were limited to there probably wouldn't be as much complaining as there is. Unfortunately they like to include things like one of five different colors to choose from to paint your house, cannot utilize your own property to maintain your own vehicles, cannot have a basketball goal on your property unless you spend $2500 having one professionally installed, etc, etc, etc..

It just seems unreal to me that folks get so worked up about this and I am trying to understand why they care so much about what those that do want covenants and HOA are doing when they have the choice to not have one.
    There are nosy people and there are not nosy people. I've lived among both and prefer the non nosy people. It seems unreal to me that people are so petty as to complain about extremely minor things their neighbors are doing. I was complained on for changing the oil in my jeep, in my garage. If you cannot understand me having an issue with that then there is no middle ground because there is a zero percent chance I could understand your perspective. People that do that seem unreal to me and an HOA provides a perfect opportunity for them to annoy the **** out of as many people as possible. Maybe you've got a great HOA, awesome. I didn't and I'm well entitled to my perfectly reasonable opinions on them based on my experience.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    *GASP* Changing the oil in your Jeep in your garage probably lowered everyone's property values by 75%, you bastage!
    Right?!?!? When I read that letter I was so ashamed of myself that I almost baked cookies for everyone on my street and delivered them with a heartfelt apology for allowing dirt under my fingernails and not meeting the current top knot recommendations of the day.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Right?!?!? When I read that letter I was so ashamed of myself that I almost baked cookies for everyone on my street and delivered them with a heartfelt apology for allowing dirt under my fingernails and not meeting the current top knot recommendations of the day.
    Wait, were the cookies on the approved list of cookie types that were allowed in the neighborhood? Kitchen window open, or kitchen window closed while you would be baking them?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Wait, were the cookies on the approved list of cookie types that were allowed in the neighborhood? Kitchen window open, or kitchen window closed while you would be baking them?
    I forgot to check. Thankfully I got distracted by my neighbor having one too many hummingbird feeders and his bird bath being over 24" above ground level so I typed a letter to the HOA instead. Dodged a bullet there, didn't even think to consider the approved salutation's treat list!!!

I did have a neighbor inquire as to the rules about odors as the near daily use of my grills was very bothersome. I didn't get a letter about that one, just heard it from someone on the board. :lmfao:

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I forgot to check. Thankfully I got distracted by my neighbor having one too many hummingbird feeders and his bird bath being over 24" above ground level so I type a letter to the HOA instead. Dodged a bullet there, didn't even think to consider the approved salutation's treat list!!!

I did have a neighbor inquire as to the rules about odors as the near daily use of my grills was very bothersome. I didn't get a letter about that one, just heard it from someone on the board. :lmfao:
    Sheesh, between the oil changes, cookies and grilling, that could very well drop everyone's property values to zero! :faint:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You continue to say this but where is the proof? If so many want to opt out they have every right to get the votes and remove the covenants and HOA but I have never heard nor read of such a vote taking place beyond a 5-10 lot subdivision. The people have the power but they are so consumed with disgust for their HOA they don’t even go to meetings or give a proxy. That pretty much tells the story.
    Your premise is that the existence of HOAs means that everyone likes them.

I'm proposing that the reason so many exist is because it is nearly impossible to alter/abolish them.

In my estimation most people who live with an HOA do their best to not be noticed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why do you insist on using sensationalist words to instigate arguments on here? HATE..HATE..HATE..HATE... Is anyone allowed to simply prefer not to live under an HOA?
    That is the point of the thread, so many here expressed hate for HOA’s and covenants that I asked why the hate and the opposite question to what you asked, is anyone allowed to simply prefer to live under an HOA? Heck people go out of their way to post why they hate HOA’s in this thread.

If that was what HOAs were limited to there probably wouldn't be as much complaining as there is. Unfortunately they like to include things like one of five different colors to choose from to paint your house, cannot utilize your own property to maintain your own vehicles, cannot have a basketball goal on your property unless you spend $2500 having one professionally installed, etc, etc, etc..
    HOA’s are limited by the covenants and some do include colors, architecture, what can be put on the property like ball goals,and some auto repairs, but not always. Don’t join an HOA you don’t want to agree to the rules of.

There are nosy people and there are not nosy people. I've lived among both and prefer the non nosy people. It seems unreal to me that people are so petty as to complain about extremely minor things their neighbors are doing. I was complained on for changing the oil in my jeep, in my garage. If you cannot understand me having an issue with that then there is no middle ground because there is a zero percent chance I could understand your perspective. People that do that seem unreal to me and an HOA provides a perfect opportunity for them to annoy the **** out of as many people as possible. Maybe you've got a great HOA, awesome. I didn't and I'm well entitled to my perfectly reasonable opinions on them based on my experience.
    If what they complained about was in the covenants and restrictions and the owner did it anyway the owner was in the wrong and violated the agreement that they would follow them when they bought. If they are not in the covenants and restrictions the HOA is overstepping them and in the wrong.

I have never had a problem with any HOA I have been a part of but I know the rules and since I agreed to follow them, I do.

If anyone learns anything from this thread is that they need to be darn sure they want to follow the covenants and rules before they buy the property.

The most common thing I see that causes issues is the folks that agree to the covenants and five years later decide they want to buy a camper and park the RV in the drive even though they knew all along that was not permitted. Then they decide they are going to take on the HOA.

Just know what the covenants are and that you can follow them and most problems are mitigated…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Your premise is that the existence of HOAs means that everyone likes them.

I'm proposing that the reason so many exist is because it is nearly impossible to alter/abolish them.

In my estimation most people who live with an HOA do their best to not be noticed.
    Simply, my premise is that they can easily be abolished if enough members want to abolish them but those do not seem to be common, I disagree that majorities even want to do away with them. You seem to believe the opposite. If several neighborhoods went through the process of changing quorum rules successfully they just as easily could have just abolished the whole thing…

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The+Help+Minny-pie-The+Help.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom