• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So just ban commercial vehicles over a certain size. Problem solved. No reason a standard duty van or 3/4 ton truck shouldnt be allowed to park there. So the 1500 with a logo is bad but Buffy's Expedition or Grand Waggoneer is OK?
    I would be more concerned with people who earn their living with a vehicle that what people choose to drive around for general use. By "concerned" I mean not screwing with their job....but I live somewhere where my neighbor runs a construction company from his home and has a box truck or two parked there most days...and we all have acreage.

He does his thing, I do mine.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    and we all have acreage.

He does his thing, I do mine.
    That is as I would want it. When your neighbors house is 15 feet from yours it is a different story for me. A friends grandparents built a nice home in 1966 in Indy, about ten years ago the house behind them paved the entire backyard and ran a half dozen diesel trucks that did service all day and night, in the winter they ran the trucks at idle 24/7, just feet from their bedroom.

Does anyone think this was ok because it was “it’s his land”, well it is and they wished they had those covenants.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Does anyone think this was ok?
    “it’s his land”,

It's okay and you're wrong, and that's okay too.

So you've supported/justified HOA membership for 2 decades because...
    you knew someone,
    who's relatives,
    happened to live next to someone,
    who started a small business?

have you considered starting a hobby?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That is as I would want it. When your neighbors house is 15 feet from yours it is a different story for me. A friends grandparents built a nice home in 1966 in Indy, about ten years ago the house behind them paved the entire backyard and ran a half dozen diesel trucks that did service all day and night, in the winter they ran the trucks at idle 24/7, just feet from their bedroom.

Does anyone think this was ok because it was “it’s his land”, well it is and they wished they had those covenants.
    Was it zoned commercial when the G-parents bought their property?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

you knew someone,
    who's relatives,

Has anyone been forced to join an HOA? I haven't. The two I did join, were under my own free will and not under any duress.

Now that I've moved out to "acreage", I am the HOA. And we're ready and waiting to buy out neighboring properties as they go up for sale...so we don't have the "neighbor" concerns.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

you knew someone,
    who's relatives,

Does anyone think this was ok because it was “it’s his land”, well it is
    I said it is ok because it is his land. Did you miss that?

I support HOA’s and covenants to protect my investment in small parcels. If I own 40 acres it makes no difference, no neighbors can idle their diesel truck for days fifteen feet from my bedroom window. It seems that the majority of opinion on INGO is they would rather risk losing money on their property than have an HOA and covenants to follow. That is their choice but many others, and a majority of upper end buyers want to protect their investment.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Has anyone been forced to join an HOA? I haven't. The two I did join, were under my own free will and not under any duress.

Largely depends on geography. In areas with large developers and few pre-existing properties, it may be HOA or don't buy. More rural areas and cities with older suburbs, more options, or even no HOA options.

I've never been forced in to one, but I've certainly had a much more limited market due to them. Luckily Indy has a big enough market it wasn't that big a deal.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Largely depends on geography. In areas with large developers and few pre-existing properties, it may be HOA or don't buy. More rural areas and cities with older suburbs, more options, or even no HOA options.

I've never been forced in to one, but I've certainly had a much more limited market due to them. Luckily Indy has a big enough market it wasn't that big a deal.
    Very true. If you want a newer home in a subdivision, it's HOA or nothing...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    People hate HOA’s because HOA’s are made up of people. There’s maybe 10% of the population who can handle any level of authority or power without losing their minds and deciding they deserve a throne and HOA’s are certainly no exception.

Had a couple mild run ins with mine over the 15 years we lived in our last house. I don’t miss it and somehow the neighborhood still managed to go downhill in spite of its existence. The primary one was me violating the rules by parking a “commercial” vehicle in my driveway. It was a fully marked police car. That was pretty good reinforcement for my feelings toward them in general.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This implies that those that purchased from the developer did not agree with the covenants as set forth by the developer but they bought anyway.

The fix is to make actual modifications the property owners want. Every year thousands of developments successfully amend their covenants to what they want them to be, but the trick is a solid majority must approve the change. Would even anti HOA INGO approve of a small number of homeowners being enough to change the covenants for everyone?
    Few agree with the covenants that the developers craft, they simply don't have a choice. They accept them or they severely limit their housing options. If it were actually a negotiation than perhaps but we all know that isn't possible.

Your fix is still starting with a set of rules drafted by a developer, not the homeowners. Enacting any rules on a group of people should require positive action to accept. Non-action should be treated as a declination/rejection of the proposed rule. This is especially true when attempting to apply restrictions something as sovereign as the piece of land one lives on.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Few agree with the covenants that the developers craft, they simply don't have a choice. They accept them or they severely limit their housing options. If it were actually a negotiation than perhaps but we all know that isn't possible.

Your fix is still starting with a set of rules drafted by a developer, not the homeowners. Enacting any rules on a group of people should require positive action to accept. Non-action should be treated as a declination/rejection of the proposed rule. This is especially true when attempting to apply restrictions something as sovereign as the piece of land one lives on.
    The simple truth is, that if a majority of homeowners wanted to even rescind the covenants and HOA they easily could, but they don’t. Why don’t they? Most owners understand that the developer put those covenants in place to protect their property values from the crazy things people do, things that buyers in the future may find objectionable and therefore may lose interest in buying in the neighborhood.

I believe that the majority would rather deal with an HOA than risk losing money…

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    We have to keep chickens in pens we just can’t have them running the streets. Limit of 12 per household.

You people are kinda “different“ my neighbors don’t care what I do nor do I care what they do. It’s peaceful and no barking dogs and that stuff. Grass is all cut.
    We have Deer, Raccoon, Turkey, coyote, Fox, Gound hogs and others as pets.

Oh do you guys have fly overs by Bald Eagles on a daily basis ?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We have to keep chickens in pens we just can’t have them running the streets. Limit of 12 per household.

You people are kinda “different“ my neighbors don’t care what I do nor do I care what they do. It’s peaceful and no barking dogs and that stuff. Grass is all cut.
    We have Deer, Raccoon, Turkey, coyote, Fox, Gound hogs and others as pets.

Oh do you guys have fly overs by Bald Eagles on a daily basis ?
    How big are your lots? If the lot size in the neighborhood is less than an acre, maybe two, I would prefer covenants. You sound like you are in an area of plenty of space for all with the wildlife present. Don’t usually see deer in neighborhoods with .17 acre lots, it is just too tight, though they may be on the periphery.

Eagles are making a comeback almost everywhere, though maybe not dense urban areas.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    We are on the edge of town. It’s an older sub division from early to mid 80’s. Everyone just keeps stuff up and are nice. Town population is 7,000.

1 acre is the norm we are less than a mile from the Ohio river hence the Eagles.

Most of the County is Hoosier National Forest.

We do have some parts of town that’s kinda “hood” you need to see our trailer park.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Few agree with the covenants that the developers craft,
    I'm sorry but this made me laugh. The terms "majority" and "agree" are rarely seen together. Then you went the extra mile and said it would be easy. :lmfao:
    If “few agree with the covenants that the developer craft” shouldn’t that leave a majority that do not? So my guess is most neighborhoods would have 40% say leave them alone, 30% want to do away with them altogether and 30% want them stricter. :lmfao:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom