Not open for further replies.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    We do not have enough laws in this country, let's have HOA's to take up the slack. Not only that, but let's fill the racist community watchdogs with people who think their crap doesn't.... You know, all the wanna be head librarians. Let's make sure they excel at wokeness and DEI, lack people skills and are introverts. Men with small packages and mid-aged women with no personalities. Have family members from Mrs. Kravitz family downline in every building or block and hire the Fife family to patrol the streets and hand out tickets.

I think you get the idea. No, HOA's have no place in the USA.

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I feel like HOAs may have started under good intentions. Keep the neighborhoods from looking trashy. But just like anything, where do you draw the line. And now it has evolved into what it is with the ridiculous evolution of people and society. Just like income tax...first it was "fund the war". Now we are pickpocketed out of 30% or more for an exchange of money for our time and labor, which they have no right to do.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why do there need to be limits on a private contract? I agree some can get out of control but so do all contracts, that is why civil court dockets are full. The property owner voluntarily agrees to limiting their rights to get others to limit theirs as well. An HOA with covenants is an agreement as to how a group of property owners will live together.
    I agree with you in theory, but it's not a fully private contract that can say ANYTHING the HOA makes up no matter how unreasonable.

A HOA agreement only goes as far as it doesn't contradict federal, state, local laws and ordinances.

So there are cases where federal, state, or local authorities believe it's in the public's interest to "reel in" some of the things that HOA's try to do that are unreasonable.

The State of Florida was within it's rights to address what must've been some universally common complaints and abuses of HOA's in Florida with this new law that DeSantis signed into law.
    Or there wouldn't have been enough push by the public to pass such a law.

Also, I even remember an example some years back in Indiana when HOA's were overruled by law and told they can't prohibit homeowners from having the small satellite dishes for DirectTV type services because it was unreasonable.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I agree with you in theory, but it's not a fully private contract that can say ANYTHING the HOA makes up no matter how unreasonable.
    A HOA agreement only goes as far as it doesn't contradict federal, state, local laws and ordinances.

So there are cases where federal, state, or local authorities believe it's in the public's interest to "reel in" some of the things that HOA's try to do that are unreasonable.

The State of Florida was within it's rights to address what must've been some universally common complaints and abuses of HOA's in Florida with this new law that DeSantis signed into law.
    Or there wouldn't have been enough push by the public to pass such a law.
    It is a fully private contract those that enter into should not do so lightly and without full understanding of the ramifications. They can be regulated and I have certainly seen stories of overreach that needed reining in. I thought INGO was against government regulation but they sure seem to pick and choose?

Also, I even remember an example some years back in Indiana when HOA's were overruled by law and told they can't prohibit homeowners from having the small satellite dishes for DirectTV type services because it was unreasonable.
    You are describing the time the satellite TV industry bought off the federal government because most covenants barred satellite dishes.

Why do HOA’s and covenants even exist? Because of people. Many people have no natural boundaries. Just one example, changing oil was mentioned as a ridiculous prohibition in covenants, it is. A couple weeks ago I was in a nice middle class neighborhood, brake job going on all four, air compressor running, impacts whining, hammering on metal, loud music. Sounded like every shop I have ever worked in all about twenty feet from two neighbors homes, folks that now have the sounds of a shop in their homes. Then there will be the guy that decides to make a side business of car repair.

Then there is the story of the guy that pulled an engine in the drive and took two months to restore an F250, (me, but I didn’t have any covenants or HOA to stop me.). Is it hard to see why they just blanket say no car repair in covenants? If your neighbor is selling their home and buyers come to see it and you have your work truck parked out front and your car tore down in the drive are they more or less likely to buy that home? LESS!!!

This stuff costs folks money, so many want an HOA to keep the boundaries and protect their investment. Did some guys wife ever say, “this is a lovely neighborhood, let’s go home to ours and make it like this”? No. She said “let’s move there”.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If folks don’t want to put up with people they should choose to live away from them. Instead, they want to force their preferences onto those around them.

There are sufficient nuisance laws in place which can be relied upon to keep the peace. We don’t need HOAs.
    Who is forcing anyone? And you are welcome not to have one, no one is saying you even need one, you are saying I shouldn’t have one and they are unneeded. Why can’t I have one if I want one? Why can’t I live with others who all agree to live by the same covenants and you live with the those that want no covenants?

No one is making anyone live with covenants, my point here is to open folks thinking as to why the covenants exist. If you are good with the neighbor working on cars every night in the drive twenty feet from your house, you are welcome to live that way. I choose not to…

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Who is forcing anyone? And you are welcome not to have one, no one is saying you even need one, you are saying I shouldn’t have one and they are unneeded. Why can’t I have one if I want one? Why can’t I live with others who all agree to live by the same covenants and you live with the those that want no covenants?

No one is making anyone live with covenants, my point here is to open folks thinking as to why the covenants exist. If you are good with the neighbor working on cars every night in the drive twenty feet from your house, you are welcome to live that way. I choose not to…
    I made the point no one is forced to sign HOA by laws, people choose to. I was corrected that since the housing market is tough, many are "forced to" or they can't find housing.

I did the HOA thing for many years and enjoyed it. My "investment" went up 2.52x what we paid for it, giving me a bit more financial freedom.

Did I get letters for a boat in the driveway (while it was there for 30 minutes without my truck hooked up), did they fail to cite others issues? Yes to both.

HOAs serve a purpose and no one should be surprised by the by laws (or how difficult it is to change them).

Just look how few Americans vote in our elections. Why would you expect more would vote on HOA issues?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I made the point no one is forced to sign HOA by laws, people choose to. I was corrected that since the housing market is tough, many are "forced to" or they can't find housing.

I did the HOA thing for many years and enjoyed it. My "investment" went up 2.52x what we paid for it, giving me a bit more financial freedom.
    I believe that the unsaid is that the neighborhoods where many people (wives particularly) want to live have an HOA and covenants leaving the husband that wants to park his boat in the yard or restore a car in the drive at odds with each other and the HOA.

While correlation is not always causation why is it that most of the hottest real estate markets in most areas are the areas with the most HOAs? I am confident your neighborhood was nicely maintained and that was a factor in its popularity and you making money.

Did I get letters for a boat in the driveway (while it was there for 30 minutes without my truck hooked up), did they fail to cite others issues? Yes to both.

HOAs serve a purpose and no one should be surprised by the by laws (or how difficult it is to change them).

Just look how few Americans vote in our elections. Why would you expect more would vote on HOA issues?
    The only reason they are difficult to change is getting folks to agree, not the actual process.

I got a letter once because I stopped to unload my travel trailer after a trip, unhooked the truck to go get some screws from the hardware store for a quick repair, was gone 30 minutes most. :lmfao:

Just laughed at it, I was wrong it was against the rules, but I also know if not for that rule, someone would park one there for months. Not what I want…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I believe that the unsaid is that the neighborhoods where many people (wives particularly) want to live have an HOA and covenants leaving the husband that wants to park his boat in the yard or restore a car in the drive at odds with each other and the HOA.

While correlation is not always causation why is it that most of the hottest real estate markets in most areas are the areas with the most HOAs? I am confident your neighborhood was nicely maintained and that was a factor in its popularity and you making money.

The only reason they are difficult to change is getting folks to agree, not the actual process.

I got a letter once because I stopped to unload my travel trailer after a trip, unhooked the truck to go get some screws from the hardware store for a quick repair, was gone 30 minutes most. :lmfao:

Just laughed at it, I was wrong it was against the rules, but I also know if not for that rule, someone would park one there for months. Not what I want…
    So in addition to paying HOA fees, you have to pay storage fees for boats, trailers, etc.? Yeah, no.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So in addition to paying HOA fees, you have to pay storage fees for boats, trailers, etc.? Yeah, no.
    Ever wonder why boats, RVs, and trailers are absent from most newer subdivisions (and parked down the street at the self storage place)?

This is why....and how can you fit a 26' boat or travel trailer on a .19ac lot, with a house and still access the backyard?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ever wonder why boats, RVs, and trailers are absent from most newer subdivisions (and parked down the street at the self storage place)?

This is why....and how can you fit a 26' boat or travel trailer on a .19ac lot, with a house and still access the backyard?
    I wouldn't live somewhere with .19 ac lots. Just not my cup of tea.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I wouldn't live somewhere with .19 ac lots. Just not my cup of tea.
    Then HOAs will likely never apply to you.

They have their place (people just starting out, those that don't want a big yard to take care of, etc). I cleared over 200k on my HOA home, and didn't mind parking my boat down the street (when I moved up to a 37', guess what never made it to the house ever - even the 15ac spot)....

I've never considered a home older than '95, even with the larger subdivision lots they usually had. Hell, even my place out in the sticks was built in 2000...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Then HOAs will likely never apply to you.

They have their place (people just starting out, those that don't want a big yard to take care of, etc). I cleared over 200k on my HOA home, and didn't mind parking my boat down the street (when I moved up to a 37', guess what never made it to the house ever - even the 15ac spot)....

I've never considered a home older than '95, even with the larger subdivision lots they usually had. Hell, even my place out in the sticks was built in 2000...
    I'm living in the house I grew up in. Dad built it himself in 1952. Bought it from Mom when she could no longer take care of the place. Lot is just a little under 1 acre. It was one of the first houses on our road. None of the houses behind us were there back then. I prefer older neighborhoods, so yes, HOAs will never apply to me. I do get it that some people want them though.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    A couple weeks ago I was in a nice middle class neighborhood, brake job going on all four, air compressor running, impacts whining, hammering on metal, loud music.
    That was my Dad's house, except for the loud music. The work happened in the garage, but the door was often open.

Our house was where all the neighborhood kids got air for their bikes, minor fixes for same. Their dads were borrowing tools from mine or having my dad fix their cars.

It was horrible! How awful to grow up in a neighborhood like that!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    That was my Dad's house, except for the loud music. The work happened in the garage, but the door was often open.

Our house was where all the neighborhood kids got air for their bikes, minor fixes for same. Their dads were borrowing tools from mine or having my dad fix their cars.

It was horrible! How awful to grow up in a neighborhood like that!
    I'm betting on you didn't live on a .19ac lot...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I've witnessed travel trailers worth more than the home they're parked in front of. Maybe the HOA should forbid the home. HOA's have gone from, 'I don't want my neighbor negatively impacting my property' to the extreme of, 'I don't agree with my neighbor's choice of window coverings'. There are neighborhoods that allow for trailers, boats, RVs. Usually they are pretty nice neighborhoods. Conversely, there are plenty of ****villes that prohibit parking in one's own driveway. Go figure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom