• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Don't Mind Them Getting Free Stuff Does Pi$$ Me Off To See Them DrivingThere Cop Car Everywhere...

It's a part of the officers salary, not to mention, a free service to the public when they pull up on a crash off duty and work it, not to mention all the other calls that are taken by those off duty officers that doesn't draw an on duty officer away from their duties to take care of the detail an off duty unit is taking care of. But yeah, it should **** you off.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    driving police cars off duty also provide extra police presence. Most cops would rather not drive them off duty because you have to stop at anything seen or heard on police radio. My time off is worth more then free gas.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Funny how no one has started a thread asking why any other uniformed public safety entities or military get free or discounted food/drink.

I'm not against police getting free drinks or discounts. Free meals almost takes it too far IMO. But that's a personal or department choice I guess.

That being said, police have a much different authority regarding the population than fire, ems, and military.
    congress critters and other 'public servants' get so many freebies that I think that is part of the problem in Washington.

IMO a good cop is a good cop and a free drink isn't gonna turn him into a bad cop.
    a bad cop is always gonna be a bad cop. A free drink would be the least worry for corruption in his case.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    When I worked 3rd shift at Steak 'n Shake years ago, the Plainfield cops who frequented on the shift didn't pay for coffee but always paid for food. With that said, if they had to bail for a run I gladly remade their food fresh when they returned. It wasn't about favors, it was about respect and appreciation.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Its almost like paid security. Cops know where the discounts are and will frequent that place more than the joint without discounts.
    FWIW, LEO's dont get much for what they do.$ 40-60 k to have some meth head pull a .357 on ya? No way!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Yes, I get a free coke ... not a steak dinner. How many "money details" have I done for that place. How many officers have worked there on special occasions. How many times have I tipped the clerk for that free coke. How many times have I drove by and looked into the windows to see if the cashiers were under duress. How many times have I shook the door knob at 3:00 a.m. How many drunks have I ran off their property. How many alarms have I made there.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    In order for a LEOs presence to increase at my establishment, his presence elsewhere must decrease unless a LEOs clock works differently than mine.
    Of course we can not be in 2 places at once.

Let's say I'm the HOA president of my neighborhood. I pay an officer $5 in cash for every patrol he makes through my neighborhood. Is that ethical and legal? What's the difference in giving $5 in cash and $5 in food?
    Off-duty, it's 100% legal. On-duty you cannot. I used to work off-duty in a neighborhood, patrolling at night. The HOA paid me. Some apartment complexes give free rent to officers who live there but are expected to answer residence pages/concerns and handle issues inside the complex.

I can buy my own personal off duty cop who retains full police powers. Why can't I buy my own judge, planning commission, legislator, etc? Business owners are stating unequivocally that they expect an officers presence as payment for the free or discounted goods and services they give LEOs.
    All off-duty employment must be approved by the department. You can buy your own legislator (though a lobbyist). What would you expect from a judge or planning commission? If you want the presence of judges and planning commissioners in your business, feel free...nothing illegal about that. Just don't expect special treatment. Same with us. If we let people get away with crimes because of free food...100% illegal.

Instead of buying my own personal off duty cop, why can't I just buy my own badge and arrest powers? After all, he's being paid to represent my interests.

I thought justice was supposed to be fair and impartial. But it seems that it's relative to what I'm willing to pay for it.
    Um, you can, it's called being a Special Deputy.

Look, it really is not that common and the VAST majority of businesses provide NO discount and yet we frequent them as well. I used to eat at Qdoba all the time when I worked middle shift even though it was full boat price. Same with Subway, Chinese buffets (ate at those all the time), etc. Cici's Pizza was 1/2 off and we NEVER went there...yuk. We have to eat somewhere and sometime where we go, they are nice enough to discount the food. We have to stop and pee somewhere, it's nice that we can get a drink after using the bathroom. Although I never did since I only drink water, I'd buy the bottle water...no discount. The BIGGEST factor determining where we eat, take a break at, is friendliness, not cost. Sometimes they are the same place but what we want is to eat at a place we don't have to worry about spit in our food...etc. I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    He has an extreme hatred for all LE obviously. You're not going to get him to WANT to understand anything.
    I'll defend hornadylnl against that. I have never thought he hates me or my profession rather I think he has concerns about this subject and I understand that. I fact, I think rather highly of him, we MAY not see eye to eye on this subject but that's ok.gainst that. I have never

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    People here are stating without a doubt that they gave discounts or freebies with the expectation that they will receive a greater presence. With that presence, they gain protection.

Why don't they sit at the end of my driveway to ward off any would be thieves? After all, if they're at the coffee shop preventing theft, they're not at my house preventing theft.
    Sometimes we do, after the homeowner ok's it. I've had homeowners come up to me and tell me that if I had free time, I could type up reports/run radar (if I had one)/etc in their drive...and I have. Same with businesses. We've had businesses with cars getting broken into, I'll sit in their lot when I'm between runs and doing paperwork. Same with patrolling neighborhoods. If you want me peeing in your bathroom, I'll swing by. I have to pee/crap somewhere. If you let me use your microwave to heat my food, I'll swing by.

Obviously cops can't be everywhere at once. But it's blatantly obvious that the more I pay, the more protection I get. Be it free coffee and food, cash or hiring an off duty cop. So those that don't pay don't get the same protection as those that do.
    That is exactly right. Since we cannot sit in a bank all day during our shift, if they want someone who can, they have to hire them to do so.

What is the difference between giving you $5 in cash or a free $5 meal? They're both payments. I'm sure organizations such as the NCAA don't think that buying athletes clothes, vehicles, etc are the same as paying them cash to get them to play for your school.
    Expectations are the difference.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Don't Mind Them Getting Free Stuff Does Pi$$ Me Off To See Them DrivingThere Cop Car Everywhere...
    Starting Jan 1 IMPD officers will be paying for that privilege. I rarely drive mine off-duty so I'm not paying which means driving it on-duty only or for official business. Fine with me. It stays parked in the street when I'm not working.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Oh, and how many times I got 1/2 off my meal only to double the tip to the waitress...still paying the same total in the end. They deserve the extra money, they are nice to us, work hard, and we don't have to worry about "special sauce" in our food.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    My mother used to work part-time in the evenings at Long's bakery on 16th street. Mr. Long was always friendly with LEO's and they were often present. My mother always felt safe working there. I don't know if the officers paid for donuts since she didn't mention it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    People here are stating without a doubt that they gave discounts or freebies with the expectation that they will receive a greater presence. With that presence, they gain protection.

Why don't they sit at the end of my driveway to ward off any would be thieves? After all, if they're at the coffee shop preventing theft, they're not at my house preventing theft.

Obviously cops can't be everywhere at once. But it's blatantly obvious that the more I pay, the more protection I get. Be it free coffee and food, cash or hiring an off duty cop. So those that don't pay don't get the same protection as those that do.

What is the difference between giving you $5 in cash or a free $5 meal? They're both payments. I'm sure organizations such as the NCAA don't think that buying athletes clothes, vehicles, etc are the same as paying them cash to get them to play for your school.

You have stated again and again that you can protect yourself and that you don't rely on LEO for protection but now you are saying that you want them to sit at your driveway to protect you. Are you losing your edge?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

:thumbsup: This I Believe.

A tip is to "insure promptness" and to thank the staff for good service.
    Free coffee or drinks, or a discount or a free meal, is simply a "Thank You for Your Service" to a public servant or a veteran.
    Any cop who will give you a "special consideration" for a free drink is not much of an officer and probably won't be one for long.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Oh, and how many times I got 1/2 off my meal only to double the tip to the waitress...still paying the same total in the end. They deserve the extra money, they are nice to us, work hard, and we don't have to worry about "special sauce" in our food.

I believe the overwhelming majority of officers aren't " bought" with freebies or discounts but my whole issue here is the ethical concerns.

Many private businesses don't allow their employees to accept gifts from outside sources. Let's say I'm a purchasing agent. Company A and Company B are competing to be my widget supplier. Company A is priced a little bit higher but they give me cash or a nice cation to choose them. It's a conflict of interest to my employer and it's unethical.

In both situations, are the expectations the same? Maybe not but the underlying principles are. If a uniformed on duty officer is not allowed to accept cash payments to patrol my neighborhood, I don't see much difference in a uniformed on duty officer taking food to provide their presence.

Again, I don't think their is widespread abuse but the potential is there and I believe it gives the appearance that protection can be bought.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You have stated again and again that you can protect yourself and that you don't rely on LEO for protection but now you are saying that you want them to sit at your driveway to protect you. Are you losing your edge?

Shall I try ms paint and color a picture?

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Gluemanz28 said:
    but now you are saying that you want them to sit at your driveway to protect you.

He has said no such thing. You should know that horn often argues on principle rather than personal desire.

Top Bottom