• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hate all they want is fine. When they quit using the 1911 as the comparison to all other handguns then I might listen a bit more.
    I've had Glocks. Good guns. Sigs? I've got a 220 and a 226. Good guns.
    I carry a 1911 and it's been my EDC for over 40 years. They don't fail on me. That .45acp just knocks the crap out of stuff.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Hate all they want is fine. When they quit using the 1911 as the comparison to all other handguns then I might listen a bit more.
    I've had Glocks. Good guns. Sigs? I've got a 220 and a 226. Good guns.
    I carry a 1911 and it's been my EDC for over 40 years. They don't fail on me. That .45acp just knocks the crap out of stuff.

You've got that right :rockwoot:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I disagree .

The government also buys A-10 Warthogs and automatic 50 cals and anyone on here that says they wouldn't have one if they could is flat out lying , period !
    Actually the A-10s were discontinued by the Pentagon this year to save money.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I have many of the guns mentioned that I purchased thinking it would be my new EDC but when I leave the house my dependable Kimber 1911 is still the one hanging on my belt.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Me too...That's why I carry a J frame Smith or a 1911...I can't speak for your region but down here the average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is just a couple....Statistics seem to bear this number out...Ofcourse I am not an "operator"....I am just a small business owner...

Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)

"Practical" apparently has more than one meaning it seems....IMHO ofcourse...

Cool. I hope if it ever happens to you that you are within the average parameters. I'm comparing size to size/capacity to capacity. One gun and one mag; about twice as many rounds in the polymer as the 1911 for the same basic weight/encumbrance. If it wasn't impractical I'd carry a lot more ammo. IMO the "I'll only need x rounds" argument is pretty weak. If you are playing the law of averages, why even bother carrying a gun at all? The average person is unlikely to ever be in a gun fight. It's like saying, I'm prepared for an unlikely worst case scenario, sort of.

Now enter the "you can't be prepared for everything" crowd. No. I can't but if I can carry 1 gun and 1 mag, I'm maxing out my potential with what I can prepare for.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Cool. I hope if it ever happens to you that you are within the average parameters. I'm comparing size to size/capacity to capacity. One gun and one mag; about twice as many rounds in the polymer as the 1911 for the same basic weight/encumbrance. If it wasn't impractical I'd carry a lot more ammo. IMO the "I'll only need x rounds" argument is pretty weak. If you are playing the law of averages, why even bother carrying a gun at all? The average person is unlikely to ever be in a gun fight. It's like saying, I'm prepared for an unlikely worst case scenario, sort of.

Now enter the "you can't be prepared for everything" crowd. No. I can't but if I can carry 1 gun and 1 mag, I'm maxing out my potential with what I can prepare for.

No argument with that Logic. When I roll most times my EDC 1911 has a 10+1 capacity with 2 more 10 rd. mags at the ready. I am a fair sized fella so the steel is no encumbrance.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I like to think of it as these folks making their way to work each day in their Honda Accord, smug in their belief that the reliability of their ride makes up for the sheer blandness of it, only to hate the guy in the '69 Camaro that cruises by enjoying every minute of his commute. They shout and shake their fist because everyone should recognize the superiority of their choice and they make fun of the Camaro owner when the see him in his driveway with the hood up, tweaking his ride. They will never know the satisfaction that comes from truly knowing the machine you depend on. To them, a car is just a car and the commute is a necessary evil. To the Camaro driver, the car is a calling and the commute is a true joy that delivers you home happy and safe.

I feel sorry for these guys because life is too short to limit yourself to the bland alternative. There is a place in the world for the Honda's but you owe it to yourself to enjoy life when the opportunity presents itself.

^^^^^This^^^^^^ with much gnashing of teeth, fist shaking and cursing. The disconnect seems to be that although these folks preach about the gun being just a tool they seem to have an awful lot of their self esteem tied up in them. Why else would they attack 1911 with such venom? They want everyone to acknowledge the superiority of their choice and bow down before the glorious Glock (and the Glock-like). They don't seem to take it well when the overwhelming response is..."meh".

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    i picked up my first 1911 ever before i even shot one. its a RIA tactical 2011 railed version. for fun shooting and also as a back up hand weapon, it can be beat. it is a blast to shoot and looks sexy. but i perfer my G19 for EDC becuase its lighter and has never failed ever. in the 1911 defense it only failed to feed 3 times out of 400+ rounds and that was with the factory mag. my Combat Wilson Mags have never failed. but i love all guns its the passion of it. not what is trendy this year. it just seems now and days everything is about whats cool now. not what works or makes sense. damn kids these days...

THIS SITE MADE ME WANT A 1911.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    What others think matters not, carry and shoot what you are comfortable with. They make mag carriers for a reason. :)

Why bother having a forum then? The whole point is to learn from other people and become more informed. Take my opinion for what it's worth but only a fool discounts the opinions of others without consideration. Not just this topic but life in general.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Why bother having a forum then? The whole point is to learn from other people and become more informed. Take my opinion for what it's worth but only a fool discounts the opinions of others without consideration. Not just this topic but life in general.

Ah... the old "do what I say because my opinion is the only one that matters because you're wrong" philosophy. I would rather have a 5-rd revolver that I was comfortable shooting and proficient with than a 20rd 9mm that I hated with a passion because some internet keyboard warrior told me that I had to have it, even though studies show that the majority of all encounters have 2rds fired or less.

Here's the thing, if you got yourself into a situation that requires the 20rds in the gun and another 40 for reloading, you probably walked into a Taliban outpost in Afghanistan.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ah... the old "do what I say because my opinion is the only one that matters because you're wrong" philosophy. I would rather have a 5-rd revolver that I was comfortable shooting and proficient with than a 20rd 9mm that I hated with a passion because some internet keyboard warrior told me that I had to have it, even though studies show that the majority of all encounters have 2rds fired or less.

Here's the thing, if you got yourself into a situation that requires the 20rds in the gun and another 40 for reloading, you probably walked into a Taliban outpost in Afghanistan.

Or the double 8 on north College after dark.......:)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

I ask myself the same thing about bothering with forums often. :) And you're correct there's plenty to be learned from others experiences. My point in my OP was that others opinions that don't follow yours shouldn't stop you from following your beliefs and instincts. :bacondance:

Top Bottom