• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I think this is it. There are just too many good self defense hand guns on the market now that are great to run right out of the box. And not just Glock or Smith, but Beretta and Taurus. I have considered buying more than a couple 1911's but to be reliable out of the box I would have to spend close to $1000. If someone is on a limited budget that is a bit pricey when something for half that can do the job.

9mmfan I'm not directing this or making a poke at you, I've just seen and heard several says things similar. While I'm not doubting any of it, I guess I have gotten lucky as every 1911 I have and have had has been 100% out of the box. Which models are causing everyone issues?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    LOL, it's a gun. A tool. A piece of hardware. It's not a 'wunderkind' and it's not 'magical'.

Nothing wrong with 1911's, or many of the clones (though I don't see Colt mentioned too often on INGO when people are bandying about 1911's).

Had one for some years, got rid of it. At the time, there's wasn't a gazillion 'options parts' for it, and I didn't like the thumb safety on the left side (I'm a lefty, so 'awkward'). Didn't care much for the 'cocked & locked' method of carry, as I could foresee potential issues with that when the 'heat of battle' arose.

But those are my personal preferences, and those preferences directed me to DA/SA or DAO autos ever since and never looked back.

STILL think about 1911, maybe even pick one up some day, IF I can get it with an ambidextrous (at least a right side) thumb safety.

'Til then, I'll stick with 10 shots and 15 shots.

My 1911's all sport 10 Rd. mags. Yes, the do extend. Yes, they add weight. Yes, a 10 rd. 1911 rocks.

It is all in what you like/comfortable with/proficient with. If you can run your Glock/M&P etc with efficiency then I will stand with you in a firefight. The equipment you send the round with is not as important as if it gets there accurately. If it works and you like it......Cool.
    I prefer Harley's over rice and 1911's over plastic.....:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE[/video]

:D

Seen this before. He makes me uncomfortable....twich-itis

Not had the experiences he is pushing. All platforms will have issues at some point. I have had many days where I put 300/500 rds through a 1911 with no failures due to the gun.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    People seem to want to carry the smallest pistol they can these days. For some reason people tend to want to justify their own choices by bashing anything to the contrary. So that means 1911s suck if you own polymer. If you own 1911s then plastic sucks. Some of us own and enjoy both, but some people seem incapable of that. Just like the Apple vs. PC fight. For some reason there is real hatred in some people for the other group. It escapes me why, but it really exists.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I see alot of people who enjoy thier 1911's and thier polymers. I dont think their is hatred, I believe we just have more choices now than ever before. I love 1911's and I love my glocks, they are all great guns.
    When it comes to EDC, I put my Glock 26 or Glock 27 on the hip. No hatred, just choices. The glock is lighter, and just fits me better for all day carry.:twocents:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Carrying the 1911 arguably requires a little more commitment to the manual of arms than carrying a Glock/Sig/XD/M&P. It rewards that commitment with a superb trigger, excellent accuracy, and a very thin profile that carries better than a double stack. There is no right or wrong, I'm comfortable with and do carry one of my SIG P228s occasionally. If I'm open carrying, a 9mm SIG X-5 (23 rounds) or a 9x23 Witness Elite Match (25 rounds of **** you goodness) provide a crazy amount of firepower, but for concealed carry it's very difficult to surpass a 1911.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I took a new shooter to the range and brought 2 revolvers and 4 pistols. He had never spent any time with handguns, even in the service. I didn't pre indoctrinate him on any of them, because basically, I like every one I own. All are good quality, brand names. Guess what ones he shot best and liked best? The two 1911's. The two revovers were 2nd.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    If 1911s is suddenly so hated, why does so many companies make them? The market doesn't lie.

There's no 1911 hatred; they've just dominated gun writing so much - especially in the last few years since 2011 - that a return to 'normal' (read 'still high') levels of coverage feels like a blow. Take a look at the last 12 months of you favorite gun magazine and count articles and reviews about the 1911 platform. Count cover pictures. It's still John Moses' world.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Carrying the 1911 arguably requires a little more commitment to the manual of arms than carrying a Glock/Sig/XD/M&P. It rewards that commitment with a superb trigger, excellent accuracy, and a very thin profile that carries better than a double stack. There is no right or wrong, I'm comfortable with and do carry one of my SIG P228s occasionally. If I'm open carrying, a 9mm SIG X-5 (23 rounds) or a 9x23 Witness Elite Match (25 rounds of **** you goodness) provide a crazy amount of firepower, but for concealed carry it's very difficult to surpass a 1911.

I think this is a big part of it. Most 1911s are thought to be guns that you need to be an enthusiast to own, maintain and tweak. That may or may not be true, but the folks that just want a gun and not a maintenance responsibility shy away from carrying the 1911. It's no coincidence that many 1911 carriers are also into other hobbies that require mechanical aptitude such as racing, restoration or repair of vehicles. People that have an aptitude for mechanical things tend to gravitate towards the 1911. I'd guess that there are more vintage cars in 1911 carriers garages than in poly carriers garages by percentage. I'm talking specifically about those that carry a 1911. Many own and enjoy them, but fewer of us carry them than simply own them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think this is a big part of it. Most 1911s are thought to be guns that you need to be an enthusiast to own, maintain and tweak. That may or may not be true, but the folks that just want a gun and not a maintenance responsibility shy away from carrying the 1911. It's no coincidence that many 1911 carriers are also into other hobbies that require mechanical aptitude such as racing, restoration or repair of vehicles. People that have an aptitude for mechanical things tend to gravitate towards the 1911. I'd guess that there are more vintage cars in 1911 carriers garages than in poly carriers garages by percentage. I'm talking specifically about those that carry a 1911. Many own and enjoy them, but fewer of us carry them than simply own them.

Bingo^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I picked up a brand new Springer GI a few weeks ago. It was not in my possession more than a few hours before I was deep in the 1911 catalog from Brownells. Now all that remains original is the frame/slide. I just can not help myself.....it is an addiction.......:)

Now I have more spare parts to up-grade RIA's

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have both: 1911 and Glocks. Both are fine defensive firearms, each a little different. Why not enjoy best of both worlds? I carry either and never feel under gunned, or ill prepared. Main issue is to carry, always, everywhere(where legal).

My past training has been LEO, military, Federal , Private Security Contractor, all require standards to qualify that are easily met with Plastic frames or steel. Starting in 1987 till current, defensive tactics are a little changed(FBI shootout did a bit of re considering to semi autos from revolvers), but hitting what you aim for is still the main goal. Learn your tactics, and practice. Since revolvers are starting to make a comeback(CCW), all are popular. Semi Autos are a value vs the newer revolver prices.

Good luck, aim, and shoot straight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I love the way 1911s feel. I enjoy shooting them at the range as much as anyone. I prefer to carry higher capacity polymer framed guns with no external safeties chambered in 9mm. That philosophy negates the idea of carrying a 1911 outright.

I won't hate on them as a functional firearm, they're quite beautiful and work very well. They just don't fit in my self defense plan.

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    9mmfan I'm not directing this or making a poke at you, I've just seen and heard several says things similar. While I'm not doubting any of it, I guess I have gotten lucky as every 1911 I have and have had has been 100% out of the box. Which models are causing everyone issues?

A kimber TLE II, a Springfield loaded, and colt (yes, a colt) 1991

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom