• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    It is tough for me to fathom that you really believe this no matter how many times I hear you say it. If you want a movie or show with a 1911 in it, how about dang near everything Steven Seagal has done.

He's pretty set in his ways :oldwise: so you'll have a hard time getting through to him on this one...

While I will concede movies can and do have an impact on gun sales I will never concede that the Avengers is the sole reason behind the M&P's CONTINUED success. How many people can really tell the difference? It isn't quite the same as Dirty Harry's .44mag or the countless instances of Glocks showing up on screen.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    With the inception of the Glock in the early 80's I find it amazing how much of the US and the world carries it. I also find it amazing that so many companies copy the Glock. For police in the US what did replace the revolver? The Glock. Why were 1911's never standard issue for police across the US? A Glock has 38 parts, what other semi auto can say the same. Simplicity, reliability, capacity, and serviceability is why I no longer own a 1911.

Exactly.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i can't stand the DAMN THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

osr96f.jpg

oh ya and this one too...

2zyjszc.jpg

oops one more....
    153nuc2.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why all the 1911 hatred ? Cause 1911's SUCK WORSE THAN WASR'S ! and you all know it !

The damn things have more bushings , pins and springs (to lose) than a swiss clock .

Field stripped , my G30S has 4 parts , slide , frame , guide rod and spring . Count'em 1, 2 ,4 parts total .

Unlike the battleship anchor 1911 , I can carry my G30 in my front pants / shorts pocket and it BARELY prints .

" If you hit your target , 8 rounds is enough " , OH REALLY ? Because bad guys are NEVER hopped up on drugs and take multiple hits to stop do they , yeah right .

I've got 10 + 1 rounds of .45 flavored kiss my ass in my gun , with another 13 in my pocket ready for hurp durps friends , just in case .

Should I ever feel the need to I can bury it for a year , freeze it , throw it in a lake , mud , out of a plane or up against a brick wall , **** on it to clean it and not worry about it functioning like it should .

Last but not least , because Yeager says they suck !

HHhhhmmmmmmmmm....there is your hate OP.
    So much anger.....pent up hostility's....need to go into the hot chicks packing heat thread and relax.

Sounds like it either should have involved just a little purple or there is some jealousy.........:laugh:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Jealousy.... lots of jealousy. Imagine your entire life you have to look at some 90yo wrinkly faced, wart nosed hag (Glock) and then you see these people happy and frolicking on the sand in their bikinis with these hot 20yo swedish girls (1911). Imagine the amount of pent up frustration and jealousy you'd have.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Jealousy.... lots of jealousy. Imagine your entire life you have to look at some 90yo wrinkly faced, wart nosed hag (Glock) and then you see these people happy and frolicking on the sand in their bikinis with these hot 20yo swedish girls (1911). Imagine the amount of pent up frustration and jealousy you'd have.

I like to think of it as these folks making their way to work each day in their Honda Accord, smug in their belief that the reliability of their ride makes up for the sheer blandness of it, only to hate the guy in the '69 Camaro that cruises by enjoying every minute of his commute. They shout and shake their fist because everyone should recognize the superiority of their choice and they make fun of the Camaro owner when the see him in his driveway with the hood up, tweaking his ride. They will never know the satisfaction that comes from truly knowing the machine you depend on. To them, a car is just a car and the commute is a necessary evil. To the Camaro driver, the car is a calling and the commute is a true joy that delivers you home happy and safe.

I feel sorry for these guys because life is too short to limit yourself to the bland alternative. There is a place in the world for the Honda's but you owe it to yourself to enjoy life when the opportunity presents itself.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I own and love both types. 1911s are art, history, and debonair all rolled up together. But I can carry 35rounds of 9mm in my M&P and a single spare mag. I'm a practical person. I wear the M&P.

Also, with regard to classes, I doubt the instructors are making stuff up about 1911s failing. Lots of rounds/heat/dust. IME the 1911 needs to be maintained more than the polymer. If you maintain it during the class you are probably fine. I'd guess that the 1911 failures are relatively higher than the polymers for this reason. I have no data to back that up. Just a theory. I was recently at a class that a guy used a kimber for and as far as I know he never had an issue but he kept it clean and oiled.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Honda Accord, '69 Camaro .

I'd liken it to a 69 Camaro versus a Mil Spec Hummer .

The old Camaro will nickle and dime you to death getting to truly know your machine and making it run right .

Not to mention you don't really want your wife and kids riding around in it during bad wintery weather .

The Mil Spec Hummer doesn't give a damn where you take it , it'll get you home every time and it will eat anything you feed it without having to fine tune anything from the factory .

I don't really hate 1911's I just think there are better options out there .

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    But I can carry 35rounds of 9mm in my M&P and a single spare mag. I'm a practical person.

Me too...That's why I carry a J frame Smith or a 1911...I can't speak for your region but down here the average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is just a couple....Statistics seem to bear this number out...Ofcourse I am not an "operator"....I am just a small business owner...

Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)

"Practical" apparently has more than one meaning it seems....IMHO ofcourse...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I own and love both types. 1911s are art, history, and debonair all rolled up together. But I can carry 35rounds of 9mm in my M&P and a single spare mag. I'm a practical person. I wear the M&P.

Also, with regard to classes, I doubt the instructors are making stuff up about 1911s failing. Lots of rounds/heat/dust. IME the 1911 needs to be maintained more than the polymer. If you maintain it during the class you are probably fine. I'd guess that the 1911 failures are relatively higher than the polymers for this reason. I have no data to back that up. Just a theory. I was recently at a class that a guy used a kimber for and as far as I know he never had an issue but he kept it clean and oiled.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the issue. I like to poke fun at the poly only guys but I'll admit to owning multiple Glocks and really liking them. They may not be my first choice for EDC but I do like them. When I'm either going somewhere that I feel demands capacity or is hard on a gun, I'll take a Glock 19 or 23. If I'm mowing and sweating like a pig, I'll carry a Glock 27. But, unless the situation demands otherwise, I'll carry a 1911 of some sort. The poly guns do have their place but life is not as much fun if you limit yourself to just those.

I had stopped carrying 1911s last year for a couple of months when I had myself convinced that you needed at least 25 rounds with me. I only felt comfortable with a G23 and a pair of spare mags giving me 40 rounds. I've since calmed down but there are still places I go that I like having numbers on my side. For the most part I'm happy with 9 rounds of .45 on tap plus another 8 on short notice. If I were in law enforcement, I'd stick with the big numbers but since the parameters of a gun fight is much different for civilians than it is for police, I don't feel the need for high round counts normally.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd liken it to a 69 Camaro versus a Mil Spec Hummer .

The old Camaro will nickle and dime you to death getting to truly know your machine and making it run right .

Not to mention you don't really want your wife and kids riding around in it during bad wintery weather .

The Mil Spec Hummer doesn't give a damn where you take it , it'll get you home every time and it will eat anything you feed it without having to fine tune anything from the factory .

I don't really hate 1911's I just think there are better options out there .

We are way past nickels and dimes in my 69 Camaro world.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Me too...That's why I carry a J frame Smith or a 1911...I can't speak for your region but down here the average number of shots fired in a self defense situation is just a couple....Statistics seem to bear this number out...Ofcourse I am not an "operator"....I am just a small business owner...

Analysis of Five Years of Armed Encounters (With Data Tables)

"Practical" apparently has more than one meaning it seems....IMHO ofcourse...

I guess that puts to rest the "I need 10+ rounds for self defense" theory.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The car comparison isn't bad, but I think one is a minivan, with its seating capacity, gas mileage, automatic transmission and airbags; the other is a NASCAR Cup car, with its power, handling, speed, manual transmission and roll cage.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I just got my 1st 1911 this year so far it's been nothing but exceptional. It's smooth, comfortable to shoot, looks cool, but way too nice, too big and to expensive to carry (that's what I have a shield for) and the same goes for keeping it in a nightstand - that weapon was almost a 3rd the $$$ as my 1911
    and so far I like it as much if not better than my 4506 which has a real porky grip and still only 8 rounds, all my other 45s are only 10 rounders until I find a reasonably priced fnx w/15 rd mags
    so my hot 20yr old in a bikini will only be shown off @ the range - for now

and by the way it's Beautiful Women Packing Heat...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Point is I like the 1911 because it responds to attention. Just like the pic above....lots of love and attention to details and we had a mid 9 second car.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    AS much as I love my 1911.... if the world were to spiral into the MadMax anarchy kill or be killed top dog wins..... the 1911 would serve as a backup. I'm thinking M9/92FS with 20rd mags for a primary sidearm. In that particular case, as many rounds as possible carried in as small a space as possible becomes very important. I'd likely carry the 1911 in a shoulder rig with a couple spare mags as a back up to the primary sidearm (which becomes a back up to the primary long-gun).

But I still live in reality and the 7-9 rds are perfectly fine for today's needs.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Even though the poly frame wonders (of any brand) are not my first choice, I have nothing against them. The argument that the government buys them is a pretty weak proof of desirability. The fact that the government purchases something is very low on my purchase criteria.

Top Bottom