• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Why all the 1911 hatred ? Cause 1911's SUCK WORSE THAN WASR'S ! and you all know it !

The damn things have more bushings , pins and springs (to lose) than a swiss clock .

Field stripped , my G30S has 4 parts , slide , frame , guide rod and spring . Count'em 1, 2 ,4 parts total .

Unlike the battleship anchor 1911 , I can carry my G30 in my front pants / shorts pocket and it BARELY prints .

" If you hit your target , 8 rounds is enough " , OH REALLY ? Because bad guys are NEVER hopped up on drugs and take multiple hits to stop do they , yeah right .

I've got 10 + 1 rounds of .45 flavored kiss my ass in my gun , with another 13 in my pocket ready for hurp durps friends , just in case .

Should I ever feel the need to I can bury it for a year , freeze it , throw it in a lake , mud , out of a plane or up against a brick wall , **** on it to clean it and not worry about it functioning like it should .

Last but not least , because Yeager says they suck !
    A Swiss watch runs so well because it's built with precision parts and well designed. My 1911 has 7 parts when field stripped, frame, barrel, guide rod, spring, slide, slide stop, and barrel bushing count'em 7. I guess your glock doesn't have a barrel. I don't carry a gun in my pants pocket, that's what a holster is for. I have never felt the need to carry 25- 30rds. of ammo around with me every day. If I did I would carry my AR15. If 9 in the gun and 8 on my hip don't get it done then I'm probably not going to survive anyway. The crappy trigger and the wrong grip angle are a deal breaker for me with a Glock. I have had 3 of them and never found the love. A 1911 will always be the finest fighting handgun ever made. We will have to see how the Glock stands the test of time.

Last but not least, I'll listen to Jeff Cooper over Yeager any day.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Cool. I hope if it ever happens to you that you are within the average parameters. I'm comparing size to size/capacity to capacity. One gun and one mag; about twice as many rounds in the polymer as the 1911 for the same basic weight/encumbrance. If it wasn't impractical I'd carry a lot more ammo. IMO the "I'll only need x rounds" argument is pretty weak. If you are playing the law of averages, why even bother carrying a gun at all? The average person is unlikely to ever be in a gun fight. It's like saying, I'm prepared for an unlikely worst case scenario, sort of.

Now enter the "you can't be prepared for everything" crowd. No. I can't but if I can carry 1 gun and 1 mag, I'm maxing out my potential with what I can prepare for.

The number of rounds I carry depends on where I'm going. For normal daytime activities in and around Greenwood, I'm perfectly comfortable with a 1911 and one spare mag. But, if I'm going in to the city, a G19 or G23 with a pair of spares usually goes with me. My thinking is that most of the threats I would face on average consist of lazy SOBs that would rather rob, rape and steal than to put the effort into a normal life. They are looking for the easiest solution to any problem they face and if they face an armed person, they will choose to flee instead of engaging in a protracted gun fight. It's different for police. The lazy SOB knows he will be pursued. With a civilian, he can flee instead of shooting it out to the end because he trusts that he will not be pursued and the quicker he can put distance between him and the crime scene, the greater is chance of escape before the police arrive. A 1911 with 9+1 and a spare 8 at the ready will be more than enough for anything I am likely to encounter.

But all that goes out the window in the case of a civil disturbance. I'm thinking of a Rodney King verdict style event where the streets fill with angry people bent on pulling folks out of a car and beating them to death. While in and around Greenwood, I don't worry too much about that situation happening as I know my way around this area very well and know places to avoid. But, when in the city, I don't know my way around and could just as easily go into the wrong area while trying to avoid what looks like a bad area to me. There, capacity is king.

Now, mind you, the chances of any of these things happening is pretty small but the outcome should they happen is bad enough and makes preparing for them worth the effort.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have made the analogy between 1911s and Samurai swords in the past. Along those lines let's see what Obi Wan had to say about 1911s vs Glocks. I he doesn't mention it but I sure George Lucas was thinking about 1911s and Glocks. He clearly mentions blasters.

Obi Wan talking to Luke - YouTube

I have been told that this is how ChurchMouse reacted to Glocks at the range.

So uncivilized - YouTube

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ah... the old "do what I say because my opinion is the only one that matters because you're wrong" philosophy. I would rather have a 5-rd revolver that I was comfortable shooting and proficient with than a 20rd 9mm that I hated with a passion because some internet keyboard warrior told me that I had to have it, even though studies show that the majority of all encounters have 2rds fired or less.

Here's the thing, if you got yourself into a situation that requires the 20rds in the gun and another 40 for reloading, you probably walked into a Taliban outpost in Afghanistan.

Bah. I never said that you have to do it my way. I said refusing to allow for others to have a better idea than "what you like" is foolish. Like I said before; most likely you won't need 35. Most likely you won't need any though. Idc what you do. I'm sharing my thoughts in why I do what I do. You are emotionally attached to your 1911; fine idc. I'm glad you know the future round count of all encounters. I'm not that prophetic so I like to have more.

Ford; beliefs and instincts are wrong more than they are right. Tell me you think people should evaluate all available data and make an informed decision and I'd agree to that.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Emotionally attached? No. I use what fits, functions and I am proficient with. If that happens to be a 1911, then so be it. Like I've already said, I don't even EDC a 1911 right now. I am actually carry a plastic hi-cap .45 gun. There's nothing wrong with it. It shoots well, it hits what you aim it at. I just hate the trigger, the grip and do not enjoy shooting it. If I don't enjoy shooting it, then I won't practice with it, the muscle memory doesn't build and I am hurting myself in the long run if I ever actually need to use it in a high-stress environment.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Movies. It's all about the movies.

What is the most important thing? Right, to look and seem cool. I slung guns for four years. I know my market. Everyone wants to be cool.

Name a movie that the 1911 has been in recently? Right, you can't.

It is all about the polymer baby. You may be cool, but you'll never be dual-wielding plastic fantastic cool!

Bruce Willis in RED, 1911

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    To anyone who didn't think 1911s were featured in modern movies...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      119.2 KB · Views: 7
    • 10287038_643570622398905_6145631756586855758_o.jpg
      10287038_643570622398905_6145631756586855758_o.jpg
      108.1 KB · Views: 6

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Low capacity, high weight, frame safety, grip safety - the premier and-always-will-be fighting gun of all time ever? I don't think so.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'll never understand the polarization of opinions around these two guns. Why not just enjoy both. Heck, even CM shot a Glock! Sure, the 1911 may be the most significant fighting firearm ever produced, but that does not mean the Glock is not relevant. And maybe many of the benefits a Glock has over the 1911 are not really needed, but that does not mean the Glock is a bad gun. We can embrace both of these platforms and enjoy each for what it is.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'll never understand the polarization of opinions around these two guns. Why not just enjoy both. Heck, even CM shot a Glock! Sure, the 1911 may be the most significant fighting firearm ever produced, but that does not mean the Glock is not relevant. And maybe many of the benefits a Glock has over the 1911 are not really needed, but that does not mean the Glock is a bad gun. We can embrace both of these platforms and enjoy each for what it is.
    Very good point!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Actually the A-10s were discontinued by the Pentagon this year to save money.

Worst. Decision. Ever! Hope they are stocking up on AH64s and pilots. They are gonna need them.

I carry both a G23 and a 1911. (not at the same time) I like each for its own unique traits.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    [video=youtube;jInBTXMgd_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jInBTXMgd_k[/video]
    Nice point of view in this video.

He lost me when he compared the Glock and 1911 triggers... right around the 6 minute mark
    "the Glock trigger is spongy"
    "the 1911 has a custom 3# trigger and it's a lot better"
    ... well, no ***** Sherlock! Of course a custom trigger is better than a factory trigger.
    Did he explain that a Glock's trigger can be customized as well?... no he did not.

If you are going to compare 2 guns, compare ones that are either bone stock with no enhancements or compare guns that have the same enhancements.
    The fully loaded Springfield was all he had, so that's probably what he had to use for the video but that's no excuse for such a stupid comparison between the triggers of these 2 pistols.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He lost me when he compared the Glock and 1911 triggers... right around the 6 minute mark
    "the Glock trigger is spongy"
    "the 1911 has a custom 3# trigger and it's a lot better"
    ... well, no ***** Sherlock! Of course a custom trigger is better than a factory trigger.
    Did he explain that a Glock's trigger can be customized as well?... no he did not.

If you are going to compare 2 guns, compare ones that are either bone stock with no enhancements or compare guns that have the same enhancements.
    The fully loaded Springfield was all he had, so that's probably what he had to use for the video but that's no excuse for such a stupid comparison between the triggers of these 2 pistols.

Not wanting to start a rumble but out of the box the 1911 has the better trigger. Always has. For me (JMHO) way to much take up on the Glock. I may be spoiled but I just do not like the trigger.
    Yes, you can enhance the Glock and I understand they get a lot better but an enhanced 1911 is miles ahead in the trigger. Now, weight/round count etc no argument go to the Glock.
    Sex appeal....1911 hands down. Kind of makes it a draw.

Top Bottom