• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    He lost me when he compared the Glock and 1911 triggers... right around the 6 minute mark
    "the Glock trigger is spongy"
    "the 1911 has a custom 3# trigger and it's a lot better"
    ... well, no ***** Sherlock! Of course a custom trigger is better than a factory trigger.
    Did he explain that a Glock's trigger can be customized as well?... no he did not.

If you are going to compare 2 guns, compare ones that are either bone stock with no enhancements or compare guns that have the same enhancements.
    The fully loaded Springfield was all he had, so that's probably what he had to use for the video but that's no excuse for such a stupid comparison between the triggers of these 2 pistols.

If you are suggesting that a stock Glock trigger and a stock 1911 trigger are comparable, you are wrong. Your average 1911 stock trigger will be far better than the best custom Glock triggers out there. It's just the nature of the beast. If you polish the stock Glock trigger parts and use a better connector, you will improve it a lot, but it will still be a Glock trigger when you are done. There are lots of positive attributes that a Glock possesses but the feel of the trigger is not one of them.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think his point was that the guy in the video was trying to compare a stock Glock trigger to a custom 1911 trigger. Which is a pointless comparison in and of itself.

The point is that a Glock striker fired trigger will never be as good as a quality SA 1911 hammer fired trigger. They are two different animals.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think his point was that the guy in the video was trying to compare a stock Glock trigger to a custom 1911 trigger. Which is a pointless comparison in and of itself.

The point is that a Glock striker fired trigger will never be as good as a quality SA 1911 hammer fired trigger. They are two different animals.

Ok, that makes sense. I had read it as saying the Glock had the worse trigger because the 1911 was tuned.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hold on there cowboy! Sure, Glocks are popular, but there are quite a few police departments that found them deficient. The ISP recently dumped their Glock 21s for the Sig P227. The biggest reason that 1911s are not common in police departments is that they require more skill and time from armorers. Many folks on the force just carry and could not care less about taking care of the gun and don't maintain them. Glocks are great weapons and I own and like them. But for many, myself included, 1911s work better. My personal experience has been that my 1911s are more reliable than my Glocks. All work fine now, but the worst out of box experience I ever had with a gun was with a brand new Glock 19. It would not cycle reliably until past about 150 rounds. I've had 1911s that have choked on a round or two in the first 50, but never one that would not go three consecutive rounds like the Glock 19 did.

:soapbox:

Sorry, hard to avoid the soap box once in a while.

From what I've heard, the ISP switch was less about gun problems and more about the new superintendent's preference and the deal Sig gave them. Hell, they okayed the FNH and then did an about face for the Sig is no time.

Anyways, I like 1911s, but it has been said, I can get a reliable gun for $420 compared to $625 to $650 and up and in this economy, people are making those choices. I think a large section of gun owners are becoming more practical about their choices. That and the price of .45acp is huge compared to a smaller platform in 9mm or even .40.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    From what I've heard, the ISP switch was less about gun problems and more about the new superintendent's preference and the deal Sig gave them. Hell, they okayed the FNH and then did an about face for the Sig is no time.

Anyways, I like 1911s, but it has been said, I can get a reliable gun for $420 compared to $625 to $650 and up and in this economy, people are making those choices. I think a large section of gun owners are becoming more practical about their choices. That and the price of .45acp is huge compared to a smaller platform in 9mm or even .40.
    Cost may be a factor but I may value my life a little more than most. To me, the few extra dollars just says..."I'm worth a 1911"

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not wanting to start a rumble but out of the box the 1911 has the better trigger. Always has. For me (JMHO) way to much take up on the Glock. I may be spoiled but I just do not like the trigger.
    Yes, you can enhance the Glock and I understand they get a lot better but an enhanced 1911 is miles ahead in the trigger. Now, weight/round count etc no argument go to the Glock.
    Sex appeal....1911 hands down. Kind of makes it clear the 1911 is better.

FTFY.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Cost may be a factor but I may value my life a little more than most. To me, the few extra dollars just says..."I'm worth a 1911"

Now come on... People that pay $450 for a good M&P or glock are just as concerned about their lives. But, that $200 can pay a lot of bills.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Of course the 1911 is no longer cool: it is outdated.

1911outdateddesign.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If the next tactical beard wearing operator that's a genius self-promoter uses one they'll be cool again.

Costa has/had a signature model. Pat McNamara shoots one about half the time as well. In the end there is this thing called progress and certain things are left to afficianado's as opposed to the general public. There doesn't have to be anything bad about that.

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish
    Perhaps "hatred" is a bit strong. Let's just call it a "disowning" by many of the former devotees.

Seems like a lot of gun writers and instructors seem to be making a point of how 1911s are all of a sudden not a good choice for defensive carry, or how they rarely see a 1911 make it through a class without major malfunctions. They talk about how the 45ACP has lost its advantages over the other service calibers (if it even really existed according to the new set), and how it lacks capacity and longevity and durability and any other -ity they can think of.

I guess I am just amazed at how the 1911 has become the focus of so much ridicule and disdain in the past few years.

The Colonel would not be pleased.

I carry a full size, low capacity, heavy a$$, outdated, and much derided 1911 as often as possible (on duty I carry the craptastic brick in the hand SIG P229 without the SRT Trigger. Yuck). The weight soaks up the recoil and nine rounds of .45 seem like they would get me out of most tricky situations. If not, I have 8 more in a thin magazine riding on my opposite hip.

I feel well armed and have never had a failure of any kind. Guess I am no longer in the cool kids club.

I really miss Col. Cooper. He would have straightened this whole thing out.

Vanguard.45

It's quite simple really, many of the people carrying guns just aren't man enough to carry a 1911.
    You're thinking to hard...

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Wow! I just realized that unintentionally, somewhere down the line, I became a 1911 guy.:dunno:

Last night I was organizing my inventory and when I came to my M&P 9C I determined that since it seems to never leave the safe anymore, I decided to give it a good clean/lube and put it back in it's box for long term storage. Then, I started to notice that over time I had done this to all my handguns except my four 1911's and one revolver. I went back and looked at my buying preferences since getting back into guns a few years ago. At first I bought all modern, striker fired more affordable "plastic" guns but after buying my first 1911 (Kimber Ultra CDP II) 2 years ago, every single gun since then has been a 1911. Even recently when I decided to upgrade my EDC to a more comfortable gun I again passed on the ever-popular M&P Shield and opted instead for another 1911 even though it cost me a few hundred more $. Again not intentionally, just evolving I guess. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ignorance?? That the only reason I can think of to hate on the 1911....

Or jealousy. Those poor poly-onlys wish they were cool enough to sport an old school weapon like the 1911 but just don't have it in them. When those poor souls pick up a 1911, it feels like someone elses gun. Kind of like how a Ford guy feels when looking at a Silverado at the car show. Hopefully, one day they will realize that you can enjoy both. The guns don't care who sits in the safe next to them. Life's too short to willingly be a poly-only! The feel of steel and wood in a leather holster by your side is something everyone should get to experience. Hell, we're Americans. Toting 4 lbs of steel, walnut, lead and leather for protection of our family and our Constitution is our birth right.

Top Bottom