• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    All day on mothers day at the Fort Wayne Childrens Zoo. No one said or even seemed to notice. Got home and was working around the yard and my neighbors noticed for the first time. The daughter said loudly "mom he has a gun!" Witch caused the husband to run outside and interigate me. He said he was going to call the police but I informed him I was licenced and on private propert so I would love to have a friendly conversation with the PD. He called me a few names and went inside. A few minutes later an officer showed up with lights and siriens going. Apparently the call was made about a man with a gun but no mention of the licence. The oficer was friendly and said he was just checking out the call. No problems from him at all. My wife and daughter got a good laugh out of it all.

I wouldn't have even mentioned you had a license. The license is a complete non-issue since it isn't required, nor would it even be a factor since you were on your own property. I'd probably be scheduling to have a chat with that neighbor. Sounds like he needs some education not only on the laws but on common courtesy.

sparkeymat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    DeMotte,IN
    He has been giving us problems ever sence we moved in. They have 4 dogs that feel the need to bark all night and do their business in my yard. We refer to them as the Bumpus family. I think he is still bitter because I woke him up at 4am one day and asked him to keep his dogs quite because they work our 4 month old.

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    He has been giving us problems ever sence we moved in. They have 4 dogs that feel the need to bark all night and do their business in my yard. We refer to them as the Bumpus family. I think he is still bitter because I woke him up at 4am one day and asked him to keep his dogs quite because they work our 4 month old.

Ahh! Classic bad neighbor.

If you're within city limits, those dogs could be a noise violation at night time. He better be nice to you. Because unlike your Open Carrying, his dogs barking at 3am may indeed be against the law (local noise ordinance).

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    OCed to Walmart while shopping, to Steak and Shake in Anderson for lunch. I also got gas at the Shell in Daleville. Went inside to pay, and there was a cop at the counter paying as well. He noticed and didn't even take a second look. Also was in Dollar General when a cop came in and went passed me twice. I was also next to him in line at the cash register, and he didn't say a thing or even seem to notice (this cop's situational awareness was being disrupted by some pretty girls standing and chatting nearby)...

No issues...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OC'd to the barbershop, Starbucks, gas station and the bank. Also OC'd for the rest of the day around the house and while walking the dog. I did throw a shirt over it when I went to the BMV, but other than that, it was an OC day.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yesterday I OCed at our garage sale and OCed a few neighbors sale's as well. Had a few comments, questions, handed out a couple pocket Constitutions, sold a small pistol shoulder holster. Good day.

Today I CCed it just so we could test things and see how better or worse things sold. We actually made about the same. I did scare off a couple hispanic guys that were doing little more than casing the houses. They showed up in a big F350, didn't really pay much attention to things except what was in the garages. Talked to a few neighbors today about it and they all said the same thing.

Same thing happened last year and the next night some Mexican guy was arrested breaking into someone's home. High speed chase through a dead end subdivision. That happens tomorrow night and someone's gonna end up getting shot from the way the neighbors were talking. Everyone's on high alert. :)

See, it pays to discuss arms with your neighbors. ;) And give them a copy of Indiana Handgun Law to flip through too. :D

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I scared a Wal-Mart greeter today.

I stopped at Wal-Mart today to check out their ammo selection. On my way in the door I could see that the elderly lady working as the door greeter was visibly startled when she noticed my OC. As a started to pass her she stopped my and asked me if I had a license.

I said, "Of course."

She said, "I think I'm going to have to call a manager."

At that time a guy who was standing there with a shopping cart said, "Yeah, man, you've got to cover that thing up."

I said, "It is legal to open carry in Indiana with a license."

He said he didn't know that and walked away.

The greeter then said, "Well, we just have to ask"

I asked her if she meant they just have to ask a manager if it is ok or if they just have to ask me if I have a license. She said she had to ask if I had a license and let me go. She never asked to see the license and I would not have agreed to show it to her.

I then proceeded back to the ammo counter where I found a pretty good deal on .45s. As the gentlemen working in sporting goods pulled the ammo out of the case that I requested another woman came up to me and asked if I was the man who had talked to the door greeter.

I said, "Yes, I am."

She said, "Would you mind very much covering that up? We don't want customers to worry. I'm loss prevention/security here."

I said, "I've been in this store a thousand times and have never had a problem."

She said, " I know. You're fine. It really wasn't customers it was just the door greeter. She called me and said there was a man with a gun and he went that way. I asked if he was running with it in his hands and she said no."

I said, "I won't cover it up but, if you like, I will exit the opposite door then the one I came in."

She said, "That will be just fine."

She shook may hand and walked away. I purchased the ammo and exited opposite the frightened door greeter and went home.

The loss prevention lady really was quite polite so I decided to appease her by offering to exit the way I did. I'm also developing a theory that people seem to notice cross draw more then strong side carry. At least that has been my experience this last year since I changed to that carry method.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I OCed today to a Lowes building supply/hardware store. No one raised an eyebrow, or asked any questions. Yesterday I OCed to a the NW WalMart here in the Fort. No one questioned me. Bought ammo at Walmart. No one was worried.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Yesterday I OC'ed at the Radioshack in Shelbyville, then Marsh in Greensburg.

She said, "Would you mind very much covering that up? We don't want customers to worry. I'm loss prevention/security here."

She said, " I know. You're fine. It really wasn't customers it was just the door greeter. She called me and said there was a man with a gun and he went that way. I asked if he was running with it in his hands and she said no."
    Which one is it, the customers or the greeter having an issue? It only seemed the greeter had the issue. I wouldn't have purchased the ammo, no matter how badly I needed it. Call the store manager to have him/her retrain the door greeter. Walmart follows all state laws regarding firearms.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    OCed out to the Avon Kroger at 36 and 267. Picked up some beautiful ribeyes for our anniversary dinner. Fourteen fast years.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Congrats Demo! Glad to see you're going strong :D I OC'ed to Wal-Mart and Starbucks today. Not a word and the employees at Starbucks didn't react at all. Last night the fiancee and I walked around downtown Valpo. I OC'ed and didn't have any issues in the ~30 minutes we spent walking around. Good times. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    15MAY10:

Terre Haute - Gander Mountain and Outback
    Greencastle - gas station/convenience store whose name I can't remember
    Crawfordsville - Kroger

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    CombatVet and I were open carrying outside the outlet mall.
    (P95dc in a fobus holster).
    Interesting looks from some moms pushing strollers.
    I went and bought some new shoes.
    No issues with anyone, just real helpful service.

Not naming any names, but I did startle someones mother at the store earlier that day...
    (who also has a LTCH).

Side note: numerous times I had people with LTCH 'inform' me that open-carry is illegal.
    I politely inform them otherwise and tell them which states reciprocate (since we are near Michigan) and the rules you follow in those places.

Gotta go.
    Running to Martins store with my Ruger.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    This was actually a few days ago, but here's what happened.

A friend came over because we were going to watch the new episode of Chuck together at my place. Despite anything I say, she still claims that she is more scared around me when I'm carrying just for the simple fact that I have a —gasp!— gun. (Did I mention she's from Chicago?) Anyway, she's finally figured out she'll just have to deal with it cuz I'm always gonna have it; but somehow she doesn't quite get what "always" means.

When she arrived, I had my 1911 holstered openly on my hip. I'm about 96% sure she saw it when she first walked in. Anyway, the next step was that we were going to order Chinese and go pick it up. So we call ahead, place the order, go get it, and get all the way back to the apartment when she suddenly exclaims, "Were you carrying that the whole time?! You took that to First Wok?! Isn't that illegal?! Can't you get arrested for that?!"

Sigh... "Yes, I had it the whole time. No, it isn't illegal. I go there all the time and they never say anything about it. Even if they did, I'd just have to leave, but I wouldn't be arrested."

"Well, if I had known you were going to wear that there, I would have made you take it off."

"No, you couldn't have. I'd either send you alone or go myself, but I'm not going out without it."

"I would have made you, though."

Sigh... oh geez. :rolleyes:

Anyway... Carried to First Wok the other day. As usual, nobody said anything. Carried to Wal-Mart today. I think I saw a hottie looking at me as I was walking towards her general location on my way out, and once I got past and she could see my 1911, I think I detected a slight gasp in surprise. But that's the most attention it got.

Maybe I'm OC'ing wrong. I never get stopped or proned out or anything. :dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OC'd the entire day today. The usual places (Starbucks, Menards, NAPA) and, as always, not a bit of attention paid. Shouldn't there have been SWAT ninjas? I was expecting there to be SWAT ninjas chasing me around, but there was not a single SWAT ninja to be seen. Those guys must be pretty good...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom