• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Brazil
    For me handgun wise 9mm is in my opinion the best as do all round with so many options of bullet weight and type you are able afford to go out and shoot targets all day then load up for self defense. However I’m also one of a few who are a huge fan of 10mm. As for why well it truly can do everything a 9 can and one up it lol . Down side ammo price is much higher than 9.

CrazyBagel169

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2024
    Michigan City
    For me handgun wise 9mm is in my opinion the best as do all round with so many options of bullet weight and type you are able afford to go out and shoot targets all day then load up for self defense. However I’m also one of a few who are a huge fan of 10mm. As for why well it truly can do everything a 9 can and one up it lol . Down side ammo price is much higher than 9.
    What handgun model do end up using for 9mm?

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    when I used to go to the range, I like the 9mm. It was easy on the hands. I used a Ruger SR1911 9mm and Ruger LC9S with laser. Rifle is AR but no particular caliber preference since I had most of them. They all feel the same.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I haven't heard of 357 sig yet! How different is it from 357 magnum?
    The .357 SIG caliber is a necked-down .40 S&W casing with a .355 diameter bullet (aka, a 9mm bullet) stacked on top, creating a 'funnel' effect which increases pressures sufficient to launch the .355 bullet close to .357 Magnum velocities, resulting in similar ballistics. (It's also the only way to really get the .355 diameter bullet to perform to the level that it's designed for.)
    It has a fairly flat trajectory and performs best out of longer barrels, and tends to be a very accurate round, especially at longer distances.
    It's important to note that it is VERY LOUD, and has some significant muzzle flash, especially out of a shorter barrel (think Glock 33) and it does lose some velocity out of a shorter barrel as well.
    Ballistically, it's a very effective caliber for home and personal defense, creating a true hydrostatic wound, but due to its overall loudness, may not be the best choice, especially in confined areas.
    I carried the .357 SIG caliber fairly extensively 12+ years ago, but due to cost and practicality, I went back to .45 acp and, lately, even 9mm, for EDC.
    My top 3 favorite manufacturers in .357 SIG are Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, Double-Tap, and even Speer Gold Dots aren't too bad.
    In most .40 S&W caliber pistols, one can get a .357 SIG barrel and shoot 2 calibers with no issues.
    It's a very viable caliber for home and personal defense, but there are some trade-offs, such as volume and cost.
    Ballistically, you can check out some numbers here: http://ballistics101.com/

Last edited:

CrazyBagel169

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2024
    Michigan City
    The .357 SIG caliber is a necked-down .40 S&W casing with a .355 diameter bullet (aka, a 9mm bullet) stacked on top, creating a 'funnel' effect which increases pressures sufficient to launch the .355 bullet close to .357 Magnum velocities, resulting in similar ballistics.
    It has a fairly flat trajectory and performs best out of longer barrels, and tends to be a very accurate round, especially at longer distances.
    It's important to note that it is VERY LOUD, and has some significant muzzle flash, especially out of a shorter barrel (think Glock 33) and it does lose some velocity out of a shorter barrel as well.
    Ballistically, it's a very effective caliber for home and personal defense, creating a true hydrostatic wound, but due to its overall loudness, may not be the best choice, especially in confined areas.
    I carried the .357 SIG caliber fairly extensively 12+ years ago, but due to cost and practicality, I went back to .45 acp and, lately, even 9mm, for EDC.
    My top 3 favorite manufacturers in .357 SIG are Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon, Double-Tap, and even Speer Gold Dots aren't too bad.
    In most .40 S&W caliber pistols, one can get a .357 SIG barrel and shoot 2 calibers with no issues.
    It's a very viable caliber for home and personal defense, but there are some trade-offs, such as volume and cost.
    Ballistically, you can check out some numbers here: http://ballistics101.com/
    Oh okay, that's pretty neat! Thank you!

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    For all practical purposes (self defense and range) 9mm. Nearly all my handguns are 9mm, anything else would be to serve a niche role, or because a gun I want is better suited to a different caliber (e.g. 1911).

Many reasons for this. I’m comparing mostly against .40 and .45 as the main competitors. I don’t consider anything smaller than 9mm (.380 or below) viable for self defense except in a pinch.
    • 9mm is highly capable ballistically, particularly with a quality hollow point like Speer gold dot, hornady, or federal HST.
    • Lower recoil, which is great for a newer handgun shooter, and anybody. Less recoils allows faster more accurate follow up shots.
    • Capacity is better. In a typical full size pistol, it’s usually 9mm = 17, .40 = 15, 45 = 13.
    • 9mm is cheaper. Like close to half the cost of .45, so it’s more affordable to shoot and I can stock more of it.
    • 9mm guns are usually a bit more available as are parts, magazines.
    • 9mm puts less wear on guns than say, a .40 does.
    • 9mm guns are more popular and thus have a larger resale market, and compared to the same gun in .40 will typically command a higher price due to demand.
    The one downside to 9mm is that when ammo shortages hit it’s the first to go as it’s the most popular. I own one .40 for this purpose (and because I already have a bunch of ammo for it) because you can usually find ammo even in a shortage, since it’s less popular.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't have any real experience with handguns, but I'm curious about what everyone else's favorite calibers are!
    Here are a couple of threads that will give you more information on the handgun calibers used by INGO members.

Edit:
    The percentages are the popularity of each caliber compared to the total amount of votes. It did it that way because of the multiple choice option.

Example first poll.
    88.4% of those who voted own 22lr firearms.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Top Bottom