• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I picked up a new RIA 1911 FS. Works great except when the magazine is full the bolt hold open catches. I am thinking the catch is catching on the bullets inside the receiver. The last few rounds in the magazine work properly. I only have 40 rounds through it. Polish the catch? Keep shooting? Or? I want to tweak the catch and my mind is keeping me from hacking on the gun. It seems to be getting better.

BTW this is the finger that catches on the empty magazine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, need more info. One variable at a time. Try a different mag and see what it does.

And just to clarify, you are saying you load a mag, release or slingshot the slide and shot a round and the slide is locked back even with rounds in the mag and it does this on each of several rounds but then at some point in that mag it starts functioning normally? It's not got rounds nose diving, etc in the mag or when trying to be chambered? Can you just release the slide lock and it chambers?

Does it do it with both mags (presumably it came with at least a couple of mags)? Also mark your mags to narrow down if it's a particular mag or not.

Is this a new or new to you gun?

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    And just to clarify, you are saying you load a mag, release or slingshot the slide and shot a round and the slide is locked back even with rounds in the mag and it does this on each of several rounds but then at some point in that mag it starts functioning normally?
    Correct.... The fired round ejects properly.
    Can you just release the slide lock and it chambers?
    Yes, Also if I hold my left hand thumb on the release (hold it down) it will fire all rounds, (of course the slide will not lock back after last round.
    Is this a new or new to you gun?
    Brand new gun with about 40 rounds through it.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    I’m not a 1911 expert by any means, and I know some guns have a break in period, but that definitely doesn’t sound like normal behavior, even for a new gun. Definitely try another mag as others have suggested, but if that doesn’t fix it, I would contact RIA and let them fix it for you. Even if it is the mag, contact them and have them replace the bad mag. No reason to deal with this hassle yourself and potentially pay out of pocket or void the warranty by modifying the gun yourself on a brand new gun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I’m not a 1911 expert by any means, and I know some guns have a break in period, but that definitely doesn’t sound like normal behavior, even for a new gun. Definitely try another mag as others have suggested, but if that doesn’t fix it, I would contact RIA and let them fix it for you. Even if it is the mag, contact them and have them replace the bad mag. No reason to deal with this hassle yourself and potentially pay out of pocket or void the warranty by modifying the gun yourself on a brand new gun.
    This right here. PITA but the best course.

And dont worry about getting it back. In case you didnt realize, they dont have to ship it back to a FFL. Once it is yours they will ship it back directly to you, adult signature required.

I've had to ship several guns back, and all were painless experiences.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Contact RIA and explain the issue.
    I bought 2 RIA's a few years ago, both 1911's 1 9mm, 1 45.
    The 45 wouldn't lock back on empty. No questions asked, sent a new slide release to me. Fixed my issue.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This right here. ^

@Brian Ski
    I have a RIA 1911 10mm, and the thumb safety was not right in that it was very easy for it to move into safe by the slightest touch. Which firing the recoil would bump it up on safe when my thumb hit it. It would also jump off safe by the slightest touch. (This was before i learned to fire it with my thumb resting on the safety. I'm a 1911 novice. )
    I talked (texted) to Churchmouse about it, and he said send it back because it would cost quite a bit to have a gunsmith fit a new safety on it, and that RIA has great customer service.
    I listened to him.
    It was painless. RIA paid for everything.
    I shipped it out, and it went to Utah, they fixed it, and sent it back to me in exactly 14 days.
    That gun is a great pistol.

So my advice would be what Churchmouse said, and others here.
    Send it back if it isn't the magazine. Also if it is the magazine let them know they will send you a new one free.
    I would also invest in Wilson Combat magazines, Chip McCormick, Check Mate, and Metalform. I've used these brands and all have worked with my Springfield 1911, and my RIA 1911. They actually work better than what was sent out with the firearms.

Top Bottom